I might move from USA to Australia...

Adelaide is not that much colder than Sydney in Winter and Perth is probably just as warm, if not warmer.

deejbah said:
Adelaide is not that much colder than Sydney in Winter and Perth is probably just as warm, if not warmer.
Actually, you're right. I checked the BOM avs. Perth is about the same in winter, although, it is far more likely to get colder more often. Must balance out with some milder days.

"the average cold day in Melbourne in the middle of winter is about 50 to 60F,"

55.3 F (July) in fact

Syd. 63

Bris 69

Darwin 87 (if you like warmer winters) :)

but my favourite is Cairns 78 just perfect.

deejbah said:
Hang on, aren't we supposed to hijack the thread by having a pointless argument about why one of us is wrong now?
Dunno. Isn't Cairns the place to be? I've only been offering my opinion based on being a seppo down under.

Expatriate said:
You don't just "Get the forms, and submit them". You have to pay for that application, and it's not exactly pocket change. You also need a full medical check, with xrays. So he's going to want to go to the website and find out if he's eligible, and under what class before he spends at least US$1000 applying.

I have yet to meet someone in Australia without a mobile phone. Yeah, they can be expensive, but they're pretty much a necessary evil. If he's going through a labour hire company, he'll want them to be able to reach him. Unless he plans on sitting home by the phone all day. I know at least one company sends text messages about available jobs. I have 3 kids in school, and if they "Forget" to go to class, or even show up late, the school sends me a text. Being a single guy, you think he might need one for other reasons as well.
Incomming calls are free. Prepaid cards are the way to go. I have been in the position of actively seeking work before, and I did not have to spend a bomb on mobile phone calls.

The application forms will take you through a process whereby you calculate if you even meet the base requirements. If you pass that stage, then you take the process further by submitting the application.

There is not much point in calling up the DIMA, they are not there to advise you on the spot whether you stand a good chance, average chance, etc. Essentially everything you need is on the form, and website.

thomas_cho said:
Incomming calls are free. Prepaid cards are the way to go. I have been in the position of actively seeking work before, and I did not have to spend a bomb on mobile phone calls.

The application forms will take you through a process whereby you calculate if you even meet the base requirements. If you pass that stage, then you take the process further by submitting the application.

There is not much point in calling up the DIMA, they are not there to advise you on the spot whether you stand a good chance, average chance, etc. Essentially everything you need is on the form, and website.
Agreed on the mobile, but it's still a ripoff compared to the US. And I never suggested he call the DIMIA, only that he go to the website and do some research on his own.

BimmsAndBices said:
Please forgive my complete lack of knowledge. Most of what I know about Australia comes from surfing eBay and watching movies.
Man, if you haven't looked at the immigration process yet, stop worrying about the cell phone costs because you have at the very least 12 months of paperwork ahead of you to get your PR.
Other options are:
- You could come here with a tourist visa, but you don't want to STAY here on a tourist visa.
- If you're under 30, some countries (not sure about the USA) have working holiday arrangements where you can stay up to a year (I think) working parttime.

Do you research. Cheers

Mine took about 5 months to get approved, and that was a spousal visa. It took 2 years from the application date to get my permanent residency. Now my Aussie wife wants to move to the US, so we've got our green card interivew at the end of this month. I'll be an immigration expert soon.

man, optus suck

so do the icc world XI

there, is that far enough (or too far) OT to hijack?

I like Melbourne weather best. Not as humid as further up the coast. Not as cold as Tassie. Not as mercilessly hot as Perth in summer. And when it's hot, it's dry, so bearable. And you can always look forward to a cool change when it's hot. However, if you like sitting outside doing BBQs, forget Melbourne and even Perth. It cools down rapidly after sundown so even in high summer it becomes uncomfortable after a while.

Expatriate said:
Mine took about 5 months to get approved, and that was a spousal visa. It took 2 years from the application date to get my permanent residency. Now my Aussie wife wants to move to the US, so we've got our green card interivew at the end of this month. I'll be an immigration expert soon.
Five months! That's a fair while. I reckon my wife's took about a couple of weeks. You must have a shady past!:p

deejbah said:
Five months! That's a fair while. I reckon my wife's took about a couple of weeks. You must have a shady past!:p
Nah, if you have a shady past, they send you right over. :D There were some delays with docs from my wife, plus my ex wasn't exactly cooperating. I also flew my wife to the US, we got married there, then she flew back to Oz while I took care of a few other things like selling my home. Probably could have cut it down to 60 days or so otherwise.

deejbah said:
I got here on an employer sponsor visa. From the day we put in our forms to approval took 3 months. We put everything in in September, we landed here at the end of December. That seems to be some sort of speed record. Many many ppl I spoke to talk of > 2 years.

jur said:
It cools down rapidly after sundown so even in high summer it becomes uncomfortable after a while.
No way, in summer it stays warm all night!

Melbourne has the best cycling culture but not the best weather.

Jono L said:
No way, in summer it stays warm all night!

Melbourne has the best cycling culture but not the best weather.
That depends on what you consider warm.

Once flew down down for a D/N cricket match.

Was 42 C (108 F) at 4:30

by 6:30 at was about 16 C (61 F) on the way down to about 14 C (57) than night.

Of course, being summer it did not occur to me to even consider taking a jacket. I'm in the G Sth Stand freezing my monkeys off.

I got so sick.

Moral, in a Melbourne summer - expect heat, sleat and even a foot of snow.

crazney said:
Melbourne has an awesome bike culture, and is probably the best city in the country vis-a-vis cycling facilities. Bike lanes are everywhere. We have a good amount of bike paths. Lotsa cool bike **** goes down here. We have a pretty awesome critical mass.

You obviously haven't cycled in Canberra crazney.

ricketyclik said:
You obviously haven't cycled in Canberra crazney.
Canberra has some of the best cycling tracks I have been on. Beautiful!

Wished I was still in Canberra.

Hobart has 1 bike track. That's right.... 1 From city to Claremont, about 12 k's all up although it's being extended right now.

I envy all you multiple bike track people!!