I miss Englands country side.

tottenham21

Nov 12, 2011
I miss living and riding in England, used to live in high wycombe buckinghamshire, but had to make the desition to relocate to the US since jobs were getting hard to find in the UK, now I make in one week what I was getting in England in a month. With a newborn baby and s beautiful wife to take care of and support is a no brainer I had to make the move to be more financially stable, I live in Dallas Texas now and even though there is no hills or country side like in the UK there still are loads of places to ride and have fun doing it. Anyways hope you lot have a great weekend riding and be safe....

Hi!
I have grandparents in High Wycombe and I must agree its a very nice place :D But at least there are fun places to ride still? Right?

Oh yes there is, do you ever go back to visit, where do you live now. We used to live about 4 blocks away from the Eden centre across from the Volkswagen dealership, also lived in prestwood.my son was born in aylesbury.anyways welcome to the forum.

Yeah sometimes. In fact, I am planning on cycling the river thames soon and that passes nearby :D I live in Lincolnshire now.. Lots of countryside, no hills :p

Weatherwise alone Britain would be very different to Texas.

I can understand how you'd miss England - it would be exactly the same for me if I ever emigrated from Ireland.
Having said that I've been fortunate to have pedalled through plenty of European locations and I love it.
But home is home and knowing that you can't cycle the routes from your home is frustrating.

I like it in Texas now that winter is lurking around, way better than that bloody heat let me tell ya, it was way too hot in the summer with temps reaching 112f for like two months in a row. You are right home will always be home, even though I was born in Spain I consider England home cause that's where I grow up, lived in Spain for 2 years USA for 20 and England for 18.

Try and come to East Tennessee sometime. I believe you will like the landscape here.

Originally Posted by tottenham21 .

I like it in Texas now that winter is lurking around, way better than that bloody heat let me tell ya, it was way too hot in the summer with temps reaching 112f for like two months in a row. You are right home will always be home, even though I was born in Spain I consider England home cause that's where I grow up, lived in Spain for 2 years USA for 20 and England for 18.

And you're a Spurs fan judging by your avatar. So am I! Although I go back to the ancient days of Perryman, Gilzen, Jennings and Chivers in my loyalties/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

112f. I couldn't even imagine that temperature never mind trying to pedal through it.
Growing up in Spain you should be well used to those temperatures.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Try and come to East Tennessee sometime. I believe you will like the landscape here.

A nice round spin Texas to Tennessee and back/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

As a teenage visiting my grandmum in the 80's, I once rode the country roads in Sussex from Nutley to a bike shop in Haywards Heath. Lycra wearing Cyclists were scarce back in those days (in fact so was actual lycra), and I'm not sure what most made of me. I do remember that the scenery was lovely but the lanes were so narrow and curvy that when you heard a car coming the other way it was highly a prudent measure to make sure one was all the way over on the left /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I miss my friends but I don't really miss England. Meat and potato pies and going watching United are some of the things I miss...

Some of my local roads (now in NorCal) remind me a little of those back in north west England....

... except that some of the steep hills are a few times longer!

.... OK, so the hills are not quite bleak enough, but it's not far off :p