I miss those days...

.O0 0o.

Guest
when I was in high school and college. I would ride 6 or 7
days a week. I would race.

Tues and Thurs night with the racing team going hard. Wed
night doing time trials. Friday riding solo for 30-40 miles.
Saturday riding with a slower group for 30-40 miles. Sunday
either racing or riding with the racing team hard for 70-80
miles. Maybe I would take Monday off.

I never got tired. I always enjoyed my ride, even if I got
dropped. Now I am pushing 30. Have a job, a wife and two
kids. I ride MAYBE twice a week. I ride to work but I don't
consider 8 miles roundtrip to be much of a ride.

I love my life now. I am not wishing to change my situation.
I guess I am just remembering how fun that was. Now I cant
wait to get my kids on bikes and ride around the
neighborhood.

--

White does NOT mean racist

To reply directly to me use DEODORANT

Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:06:08 -0500,
<[email protected]>, ".o0 0o."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I never got tired. I always enjoyed my ride, even if I got
>dropped. Now I am pushing 30. Have a job, a wife and two
>kids. I ride MAYBE twice a week. I ride to work but I don't
>consider 8 miles roundtrip to be much of a ride.

Find the long way home. Even two rides in a month on top of
your 120+ utility and commuting miles is far more than most
others in your peer group.

It's easier, more economical and healthier to 'stay' fit
rather than trying to 'get' fit. Keep riding.
--
zk

Originally posted by .O0 0o.
[...]

I am single, 27 and ride everyday . . . I can't imagine life without the freedom of my two wheels. I wish that I could enjoy a cofortable 8 mile commute. 30 miles for me with no showers at work.

Enjoy the rides you do have!

> I ride to work but I don't consider 8 miles roundtrip to
> be much of a ride.

I know how you feel, mine is only ten -- although the net
elevation gain of more than 300 feet, most of it in a half-
mile stretch, makes the morning ride more interesting, not
to mention the "rush hour" traffic. The important fact is
that we're on the bike every morning; we can add more
distance on the weekend a lot more readily than someone who
doesn't ride at all during the week.

".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> when I was in high school and college. I would ride 6 or 7
> days a week.
> would race.
>
> I never got tired. I always enjoyed my ride, even if I got
> dropped. Now
> am pushing 30. Have a job, a wife and two kids. I ride
> MAYBE twice a
week.
> I ride to work but I don't consider 8 miles roundtrip to
> be much of a
ride.

> I love my life now. I am not wishing to change my
> situation. I guess I
am
> just remembering how fun that was. Now I cant wait to get
> my kids on
bikes
> and ride around the neighborhood.

You may be one of the many people who have trouble doing
much leisure activity with small children, a spouse, and
maybe a career to get moving. That was me. There are
priorities in life, and there's practically nothing that's
more important than being there for your small children.

If it's any consolation, and there's no guarantee it will
be, there are lots of things to look forward to. In my case,
some highlights were:
* rides to the playground
* carrying a child around the neighborhood on my shoulders
as a way of getting some exercise in.
* the first time my daughter could be stoker on the tandem
* my daughters using their position as stoker to "pretend to
pedal", thinking they were getting away with something
(since Dad didn't let on). They's also use that time to
ask all their "Daddy, why" questions.
* your kid rescuing an old clunker, and having it be a
"project" to get it working again.

And, yeah, putting on a few more pounds.

When the kids get older, they will need / want less
immediate attention and you will recover leisure time. It
seems like a long time away now, but it's not really so
long. Raise your children, be kind to your wife, get a ride
when you can, and enjoy what there is to enjoy.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> There are priorities in life, and there's practically
> nothing
> that's more important than being there for your small
> children.
>
> If it's any consolation, and there's no guarantee it will
> be, there are lots of things to look forward to. In my
> case, some highlights were:
> * rides to the playground
> * carrying a child around the neighborhood on my shoulders
> as a way of getting some exercise in.
> * the first time my daughter could be stoker on the tandem
> * my daughters using their position as stoker to "pretend
> to pedal", thinking they were getting away with
> something (since Dad didn't let on). They's also use
> that time to ask all their "Daddy, why" questions.
> * your kid rescuing an old clunker, and having it be a
> "project" to get it working again.
>
> And, yeah, putting on a few more pounds.
>
> When the kids get older, they will need / want less
> immediate attention and you will recover leisure time. It
> seems like a long time away now, but it's not really so
> long. Raise your children, be kind to your wife, get a
> ride when you can, and enjoy what there is to enjoy.

Yes.

Your kids will grow up.

Cherish every minute with them.

The times Mike describes are some of the best things that
ever happened to me.

--
-------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's
between "at" and "cc"]

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote

> When the kids get older, they will need / want less
> immediate attention and you will recover leisure time. It
> seems like a long time away now, but it's not really so
> long. Raise your children, be kind to your wife, get a
> ride when you can, and enjoy what there is to enjoy.

Good advice. When my kids grew up a little, I got them all
going with mountain biking. Before that, they would hike
while & rode. I pulled my daughter from age 4-9 on a trailer-
bike -- unbelievable workout, pulling 50-100 lb trailer up
steep trails for 3 hr. Another technique I used was to
meet them somewhere for an outing (museum, park, etc.) I'd
ride, they'd drive. Also, when I did "ultra" events or
brief "credit card" tours, they'd meet me on the road for
lunch, and stay with me if there were overnights. Now that
they're older, they're enthusiastic cyclists. Sure, I miss
those days before kids, but I know I'm going to miss these
days a lot more.