I nearly ran a celebrity over.

Simon Mason

Guest
Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where you're
...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

Simon Mason wrote:

> Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
> saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
> chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where
> you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"
Cor, is he still going? I saw him in a summer season in Bridlington nearly 30 years ago, and he was
past his best then.

I thought you meant John Prescott at first. Hadn't realised that Hull had two celebrities!

> Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
> saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
> chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where
> you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in his
electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

In message <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

>Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
>rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
>Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
>mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
>brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
>resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in his
>electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
>mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.
You just can't top that, can you? Not even me bumping into Jimi Hendrix (also many years ago).
--
DP

>It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his chicken walk btw.

I'll bet if you cycled a bit close, he would end up doing his chicken walk :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:

<Norman Collier >

Wow! I thought he was horses head *ages* ago..

I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him,
> "Watch where you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

Should have done so. Even if he took offence he'd be too old to do anything about it, and you are
faster than him ;)

Alex

Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

I cycled past Sir Jimmy Saville once at the top of Pool Bank. Was nowhere near running him over. He
was jogging by the way. Don't think he recognised me !

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

Aaah, perhaps you know where my Housemartins CD went to?? I've been missing it for years, haven't a
clue where it is?

Trev

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

Indeed. My rather dubious Hull-related claim to fame is that I once, as student, gave Mr. Cook them
change for the bus (so he must have lived there at some point). On Newland Avenue, if I remember
correctly.

Toby

PS. Just notice we have Zoe Ball and Norman Cook in two separate threads. Quite appropriate, really.

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> <Norman Collier >
>
> Wow! I thought he was horses head *ages* ago..

No, he looked very fit and well!

>Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

Yes, people I could have run over include; The Spiders From Mars, Housemartins, Beautiful South,
Dean Windass, Nick Barmby, Roland Gift, John Prescott, Everything But The Girl , Joe Longthorne,
Maureen Lipman, Ian Carmichael, Brian Rix, John Godber, Alan Plater, John Alderton ...

Simon

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:50:31 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
>>rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
>>Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
>>mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
>>brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
>>resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in
>>his electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
>>mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

>You just can't top that, can you? Not even me bumping into Jimi Hendrix (also many years ago).

Agreed. As incredible as bumping into Jimi Hendrix is, the Hawking story has got to be the finest
claim to fame I ever heard.

I can't stop laughing, magnificent!

Bob

>I thought you meant John Prescott at first. Hadn't realised that Hull had two celebrities!

John Prescott isn't a celebrity - he's a nightmare.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

>. Still some resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven
> Hawking in his electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous
> angle, and mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

ROTFLMAO!!!! Now that *is* a claim to fame! To think you nearly robbed the world of a fine mind! To
put your reversing talents to better use, you couldn't do a trip up to Scotland, could you? Just a
thought :)

Cheers, helen s