I nearly ran a celebrity over.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
    saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
    chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where you're
    ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

  2. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
    > saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
    > chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where
    > you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"
    Cor, is he still going? I saw him in a summer season in Bridlington nearly 30 years ago, and he was
    past his best then.

    I thought you meant John Prescott at first. Hadn't realised that Hull had two celebrities!

  3. Ric

    Ric Guest

    > Well what passes for a celebrity in Hull. Riding to work through the city centre today at 1300, I
    > saw a familiar face walking out into my path. It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his
    > chicken walk btw. I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him, "Watch where
    > you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

    Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
    rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
    Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
    mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
    brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
    resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in his
    electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
    mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

  4. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

    >Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
    >rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
    >Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
    >mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
    >brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
    >resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in his
    >electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
    >mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.
    You just can't top that, can you? Not even me bumping into Jimi Hendrix (also many years ago).
    --
    DP

  5. >It was the comedian Norman Collier, not doing his chicken walk btw.

    I'll bet if you cycled a bit close, he would end up doing his chicken walk :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:

    <Norman Collier >

    Wow! I thought he was horses head *ages* ago..

    I thought it would have been a brilliant gag to shout at him,
    > "Watch where you're ...ing, you f...... stup.. ..iot"

    Should have done so. Even if he took offence he'd be too old to do anything about it, and you are
    faster than him ;)

    Alex

    Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

  7. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I cycled past Sir Jimmy Saville once at the top of Pool Bank. Was nowhere near running him over. He
    was jogging by the way. Don't think he recognised me !

  8. Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

    Aaah, perhaps you know where my Housemartins CD went to?? I've been missing it for years, haven't a
    clue where it is?

    Trev

  9. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

    Indeed. My rather dubious Hull-related claim to fame is that I once, as student, gave Mr. Cook them
    change for the bus (so he must have lived there at some point). On Newland Avenue, if I remember
    correctly.

    Toby

    PS. Just notice we have Zoe Ball and Norman Cook in two separate threads. Quite appropriate, really.

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > <Norman Collier >
    >
    > Wow! I thought he was horses head *ages* ago..

    No, he looked very fit and well!

    >Were'nt some of the Housemartins from Hull (apart from Norman Cook?)

    Yes, people I could have run over include; The Spiders From Mars, Housemartins, Beautiful South,
    Dean Windass, Nick Barmby, Roland Gift, John Prescott, Everything But The Girl , Joe Longthorne,
    Maureen Lipman, Ian Carmichael, Brian Rix, John Godber, Alan Plater, John Alderton ...

    Simon

  11. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:50:31 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Many years ago while I was an undergraduate I was "allowed" to have a car (normally they were
    >>rightly frowned upon). I was carefully backing it out of a parking place in Harvey court in
    >>Cambridge one rainy November night, when I felt some slightly unusual resistance. I checked both
    >>mirrors, wound down the window and checked again, but seeing and hearing nothing, I assumed the
    >>brakes must have jammed , so revved up a bit, and let the clutch bite a bit deeper. Still some
    >>resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven Hawking in
    >>his electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous angle, and
    >>mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

    >You just can't top that, can you? Not even me bumping into Jimi Hendrix (also many years ago).

    Agreed. As incredible as bumping into Jimi Hendrix is, the Hawking story has got to be the finest
    claim to fame I ever heard.

    I can't stop laughing, magnificent!

    Bob

  12. >I thought you meant John Prescott at first. Hadn't realised that Hull had two celebrities!

    John Prescott isn't a celebrity - he's a nightmare.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  13. >. Still some resistance, so I thought I'd better check again. I clambered out to find Prof Steven
    > Hawking in his electric wheelchair, firmly attached to my rear bumper, canted over at a perilous
    > angle, and mouthing something inaudible but nevertheless perfectly intelligible.

    ROTFLMAO!!!! Now that *is* a claim to fame! To think you nearly robbed the world of a fine mind! To
    put your reversing talents to better use, you couldn't do a trip up to Scotland, could you? Just a
    thought :)

    Cheers, helen s