I need a bullet proof 700cc 36 hole rim.

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
Well I am loosing weight but I still want a tuff rear wheel. My commute bike is a great Italian racing bike (G) so it was not built for the abuse of someone that now weighs only 227 and getting lighter.
I have some speed bumps to go over and the usual rough pavement. The bike path is like a washboard with gravel at the end.
I would like atleast a month between truing the rear wheel.
So what should I get that will really take abuse. I can only fir 25 tires on and I keep them fully inflated.

Originally posted by stevek
Well I am loosing weight but I still want a tuff rear wheel. My commute bike is a great Italian racing bike (G) so it was not built for the abuse of someone that now weighs only 227 and getting lighter.
I have some speed bumps to go over and the usual rough pavement. The bike path is like a washboard with gravel at the end.
So what should I get that will really take abuse. I can only fir 25 tires on and I keep them fully inflated.

The Mavic CXP33 is a deep V design, and is a very strong rim. Most places only have it in 28 and 32 hole, but I know they still make it in 36. Try Harris Cyclery on the web, I'll bet they have it. (Downside is it ain't cheap!)

Originally posted by shokhead12
Why 36.You could put elites on and forget about them.

haha this doesnt top the folded up tire reply but youre on fire!

Originally posted by stevek

New DURA ACE 8,9,10 speed CXP33 36 spoke wheels $250 at:
http://tinyurl.com/32vvr

I don't think I would go with mavic. I already had the their low end rim fail after 500 miles. and we had a long disccusion on mavic's engineering failers for me to trust them.
I have a good campy hub so I don't need it replace it

Originally posted by KingB
Mavic Ksyrium elites. But, Mavic is already out.
those I haven ot heard too much bad about. the problem with mavic are hard anodizing and single sleeve holes.
but they don't come in 36 hole and I don't want to have to buy another hub.

What are you all thinking???

Get a set of Mavic Open Pro rims (they come in 36 hole) and you will have no problems (if they are built properly).

I cycled from Tokyo to London with mine and had no problems at all, the braking surface is still perfect, they are still perfectly true and they suffered quite a bit on my long ride across the world.

I had a very heavy touring bike.

cant go past the good old Aussie made Velocity Deep V rims. they are bullet proof and come in any spoke hole configuration u want. i think they will even do custom for a price (probably still cheaper than Mavics). I have a set of these with disc hubs on my mtb as commute wheels and they cop heaps of abuse (jumping gutters, potholes etc.) and they r still as straight as the day i bought them.(also come in heaps of colours too!!!)

I had no end of trouble with my first rear wheel (Mavic CXP22 rims, 32 spoke machine-built)

When the rim gave up the ghost (started cracking at the spoke eyelets), the warranty replacement was a hand-built 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro wheel. It has never had to be trued since I got it, and it's been through smooth, rough, a bit of gravel, and it's fair share of jumping off curbs, etc.

I have a friend that is 280lbs and 6ft 5in tall he has been using Mavic Open Pro 36 hole in the rear and 32 in front and has had no problems with them and he has had them a couple of years.He does quite a few centurys every year.
I am 210lbs. and use Mavic CXP 33 in 32 holes front and rear and am very happy with them.

Originally posted by Mark Andrews
What are you all thinking???

Get a set of Mavic Open Pro rims (they come in 36 hole) and you will have no problems (if they are built properly).

I cycled from Tokyo to London with mine and had no problems at all, the braking surface is still perfect, they are still perfectly true and they suffered quite a bit on my long ride across the world.

I had a very heavy touring bike.

i would have to agree with mark, i have my open pro's for 18 mths built on ultegra hub's, and havent had to true them yet. i live in irelandand believe me, the road conditions here are ****E. i use my OP'S for training and the daily commute to work. there's about 2200 mls on them so far and apart from being a bit dirty (im not the best at cleaning any of my equipment), they're still in bloody good nick. as far as value for money goes, they're the best thing i've ever bought for my bike.

Originally posted by fushman
haha this doesnt top the folded up tire reply but youre on fire!
Hard for you to find good stuff at Target? To bad,walmart might work for you. Go ride your huffy shut up.

Originally posted by shokhead12
Hard for you to find good stuff at Target? To bad,walmart might work for you. Go ride your huffy shut up.

darn you have more money than me, and more wit too!

:-/

I declare an "amen" to the Mavic CXP33. A 36 spoke, 3-cross wheel with DT 14/15/14 guage spokes and brass nipples is about the strongest wheel you can possibly build. Good luck.