I need a double chainset for commuting bike. Looking at Shimano 2300 Square Taper

Jack Frost

Jun 4, 2012
I'm looking for a low priced double chainset for my old run-around city bike.

I've seen this Shimano one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40621

.. and noticed the website says it's compatible with 8-speed Hyperglide chains. I have only a 5-speed cassette on my bike and feel I'm happy with just a 10-gear bike for my purposes.

Can anyone say if this chainset will be a good one for me.

Thanks.

Reactions: gwzhx
I presume you're using a non-indexed front shifter. If that's the case, the Shimano 2300 should work just fine.

Thanks for the quick reply - I don't know what indexing or non-indexing is.

I expect you're right - it's a refurbished bike I bought from a 2nd hand shop last year for £155. It's a Raleigh, probably 30-40 yr old frame.

Can you explain briefly the significance of indexing and why it would make a difference?

Cheers, JF

Reactions: gwzhx
Indexed shifting, or 'click' shifting, is a mechanically indexed or detented means or moving the derailleurs so they self-align the chain over the gear teeth...or require very little trimming/fine adjustment in the case of the front chainrings and derailleur. Index shifters might be thought of as a digital system of shifting. It is either perfectly adjusted and functions perfectly or it is 'off' and functions poorly.

It is an evolution of the friction shift system which requires the rider to manually estimate each shift, then to fine tune the derailleur positions to center the chain on the gears using shifters without detents or position clicks. Think of it as an analog system. Poorly executed gear changes can still be tuned to a perfect running position.

The significance of the indexed shifting system is generally considered to be the ease of use. Relatively inexperienced riders can shift gears with the speed and accuracy levels a rider of a friction system might take months or years to develop.

Thanks a lot for this info - really helpful.

I don't have indexed shifting. I have simple shifters on the handlebar grips.

... so I'll get the Shimano 2300. Cheers /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Originally Posted by Jack Frost .

Thanks a lot for this info - really helpful.

I don't have indexed shifting. I have simple shifters on the handlebar grips.

... so I'll get the Shimano 2300. Cheers /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif
I ordered the 34/50 version of this chainset for my bike but decided not to get it (to replace the 42/52 600EX chainset that's 25+ years old). So I can tell you that Brian Rourke Cycles has this in stock, its probably still sat in its box on the pool table in the bar!