I need a few good GPS waypoints

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bruce W.1, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    On Usenet people are always asking for good GPS waypoints, either to enter into their GPS unit or to
    calibrate scanned maps from which tracks, routes, and other waypoints are made with software like
    OziExplorer and ExpertGPS.

    Many websites offer GPS waypoints. Some sites have millions of waypoints. Yet very few of these
    sites have accurate waypoints. The source of the data is always uncertain.

    Waypoint accuracy is not a great concern when you are driving an automobile. But when you are in the
    wilderness or backcountry, especially in foul weather, accuracy of a kilometer or mile is not
    acceptable.

    Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the GPS
    system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more. When compared to current GPS
    accuracies of ten to twenty feet, maps leave a lot to be desired. And so if we want accurate
    waypoints we must do one of the following:
    1. Skip the maps altogether and find good waypoints for the locations.
    2. Get maps and calibrate them with good waypoints.
    3. Compute waypoints from the maps and hope for the best. So people on Usenet are forever asking
    for good GPS waypoints. Now there is a place to get and leave accurate GPS waypoints.

    This message is to tell you about a website I created to store only good GPS waypoints. You can find
    it at: http://trailwaypoints.com From now on when I take a backcountry trip I will be marking GPS
    waypoints and adding them to this site. If you have any good waypoints (accurate to under 30 meters
    or 100 feet) then it would be great if you added them to Trail Waypoints too. That way they can be
    used by everyone. And you will know where to find them in the future when you need them.

    The Trail Waypoints website has interactive mapping that covers -- at this time -- most of the
    english speaking world. Just click on the map to zoom in. It can show waypoints that are just a few
    meters apart. The waypoints are divided into the following regions:
    4. Australia
    5. British Isles
    6. Canada
    7. New Zealand
    8. United States

    To filter your area of interest, the waypoints (and types of waypoints) are also divided in to the
    following activity categories:
    9. Backpacking
    10. Canoeing, kayaking, and rafting
    11. Climbing
    12. Horseback riding
    13. Mountain biking
    14. Winter snow (cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling)
    15. 4-Wheel drive and motorcycling

    Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes on.
    And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the GPS
    > system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more.

    You have very weird experience then. I haven't found a single map that's out, and definitely not out
    by that amount. Just people who incorrectly use maps with GPS units. "Hundreds of metres or more"
    Get real, where are you getting your maps from - Wheat-bix boxes? Use the wrong datum with a map and
    you'll be out by up to 200 metres or more. Sounds like you need some lessons in either GPS units or
    maps, or both.

    Trentus

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
    with misinformation>

    You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a gps,
    but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.

    JD

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes
    > on. And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.
    >
    > Bruce

    I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
    While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
    available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
    somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these already...
    ( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information like this up
    on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in magazine and
    guide books.

    just my 2¢

    penny s

  5. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    "Penny S." wrote:

    > I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
    > While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
    > available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
    > somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these
    > already... ( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information
    > like this up on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in
    > magazine and guide books.
    >
    > just my 2¢
    >
    > penny s

    Your concern is noteworthy Penny. Though I'm not sure what can be done about this. Users are free to
    enter whatever waypoints they wish.

    Your magazine and guide book analogy is perfect.

    If you can suggest a way to handle this problem then I'm all ears.

  6. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    Trentus wrote:

    > "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the
    > > GPS system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more.
    >
    > You have very weird experience then. I haven't found a single map that's out, and definitely not
    > out by that amount. Just people who incorrectly use maps with GPS units. "Hundreds of metres or
    > more" Get real, where are you getting your maps from - Wheat-bix boxes? Use the wrong datum with a
    > map and you'll be out by up to 200 metres or more. Sounds like you need some lessons in either GPS
    > units or maps, or both.
    >
    > Trentus

    I could give you many examples of things not being where they are shown on the map.

    The USGS quad maps are very good. The maps produced by the local park services (even in the USA) are
    sometimes pretty bad. I've found things being off by a half mile. It all depends on the map.

    GPS introduces a whole new level of precision. And the park services are scrambling to update their
    maps. But at this time many currently issued maps were created twenty years ago. Some of them might
    better be called an artist's rendering.

    Trail Waypoints seeks to overcome these innacuracies.

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > Trentus wrote:
    are
    > shown on the map.
    >
    > The USGS quad maps are very good.

    and someof them are outdated by 20-30 years when it comes to roads, trails and structures.

    The maps produced by the local park
    > services (even in the USA) are sometimes pretty bad. I've found things being off by a half mile.
    > It all depends on the map.

    I thought "Trails Illustrated" had most USNP's covered. Since when is the NPS doing maps? They can
    barely keep on on geenral maintenance in the parks.

    penny

    > GPS introduces a whole new level of precision. And the park services are scrambling to update
    > their maps. But at this time many currently issued maps were created twenty years ago. Some of
    > them might better be called an artist's rendering.
    >
    > Trail Waypoints seeks to overcome these innacuracies.

  8. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > I thought "Trails Illustrated" had most USNP's covered. Since when is the NPS doing maps? They can
    > barely keep on on geenral maintenance in the parks.

    Map production, which is different from the handout "picture that looks like a map," is carried
    out by the GIS coordinator for the unit. Most map production by the NPS is not published for
    direct public consumption. That said, you can get some pre-clipped DEM's and ARC coverages from
    the NPS. Of course the files are pretty much set up for ESRI consuption (E00's). Actually, The NPS
    has been using GIS and GPS technology for SARR work for ~20 years, including P-code and DGPS
    during the SA years.

    As for maintenance in the NPS R and T as well as B and U, are generally under funded through
    out the NPS.

    Reco

  9. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
    > with misinformation>
    >
    > You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a
    > gps, but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.
    >
    > JD

    What can it hurt to give out a few waypoints?

    Look here are a few start points ... Sort of theme riding.

    A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N

    A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
    UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

    Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

    gullible?

    You know the word gullible isn't even in the dictionary.

    Enjoy

    Reco

  10. Mike Romain

    Mike Romain Guest

    "Penny S." wrote:

    > Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > > Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes
    > > on. And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.
    > >
    > > Bruce
    >
    > I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
    > While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
    > available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
    > somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these
    > already... ( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information
    > like this up on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in
    > magazine and guide books.
    >
    > just my 2¢
    >
    > penny s

    I have to agree 100%!!!

    In one Canadian deep bush area I take my Jeep, a Jeep website put up a link to GPS points.

    The locals with the hunt camps are incensed about it. To the point of being dangerous to any Jeepers
    they see in the area.

    BIG TIME!

    We were on a 10 day camping trip last summer, and had pickups full of drunks from the cabins
    harassing us at all hours of the night to the point of us thinking we needed police protection. Bear
    season was starting in a couple days, so these are all armed camps.

    We had families with small children with us.

    I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!

    Mike

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
    > > with misinformation>
    > >
    > > You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a
    > > gps, but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > What can it hurt to give out a few waypoints?

    Nothing, if they are the right ones

    > Look here are a few start points ... Sort of theme riding.
    >
    > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N

    hehe

    > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
    > UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

    haha

    > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

    excellent

    > gullible?

    yeah

    > You know the word gullible isn't even in the dictionary.

    not yours

    > Enjoy

    I did, thanks.

    > Reco

    Someone who knows what Universal Transverse Mercator is, how refreshing.

    JD

  12. Reco Diver wrote:

    > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
    >
    > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
    > UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

    > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

    hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

  13. JD wrote:
    > Someone who knows what Universal Transverse Mercator is, how refreshing.

    Sadly you don't even need to know that anymore: http://www.jeeep.com/details/coord/ converts
    to<->from any format

  14. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Reco Diver wrote:
    >
    > > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
    > >
    > > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top"
    > > types): UTM 11 436346E 3998605N
    >
    > > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N
    >

    > hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

    That heep tool fron Christler seems to drop the (-) from -116 in DMS. Take the UTM to someplace like
    topozone and plug'em in .... just do the first one ... I think you'll get the picture. BTW at 37 N
    and -116 W you're way in the US, but for this start point you need to be down to the meter.

    Tell me when heep comes out with a product that converts Township and Range to DMS .... If anyone
    can do it heep can.

    Reco

  15. Pete Hickey

    Pete Hickey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Penny S." wrote:
    >>

    >> I've got some issues with making some of this info available to the masses.

    First it was maps, then guidebooks, then net trip-reports, now net-posting of waypoints. Each thing
    brought (brings) more people to out of the way places. Secret, hard to reach, places won't exist in
    a few years. There is always someone who wants to tell about it, and most people don'T realize how
    many people are on the net.

    >I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!

    Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of the
    information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
    it.

    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
    fried dog and fried cat?

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Reco Diver wrote:
    >
    > > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
    > >
    > > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top"
    > > types): UTM 11 436346E 3998605N
    >
    > > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N
    >

    > hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

    Yeah they are.

    JD

  17. Gary S .

    Gary S . Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:47:44 GMT, [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>"Penny S." wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've got some issues with making some of this info available to the masses.
    >
    >First it was maps, then guidebooks, then net trip-reports, now net-posting of waypoints. Each thing
    >brought (brings) more people to out of the way places. Secret, hard to reach, places won't exist in
    >a few years. There is always someone who wants to tell about it, and most people don'T realize how
    >many people are on the net.
    >
    >>I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!
    >
    >Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
    >the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
    >it.

    So, wilderness areas should have cell phone jammers AND GPS jammers?

    I'm sure that the Forest Service can increase the Parking Fee "Demo" Program (did you know that
    "demo" means permanent?) and the Outfitter/Guide Fee Program (for commercial and volunteer led trips
    only) to the stage where only a few can afford to access wilderness.

    I hear Vail is lovely this time of year.

    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

  18. [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
    > the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
    > it.

    How much do GPS jammers cost? :)

    JW

  19. Mike Romain

    Mike Romain Guest

    "John S. Watson" wrote:

    > [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
    > > the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
    > > it.
    >
    > How much do GPS jammers cost? :)
    >
    > JW

    Apparently Russia sells them for about $2000.00.

    Mike

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
    > > the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
    > > it.
    >
    > How much do GPS jammers cost? :)
    >
    > JW

    I went to that point in the Jeep commercial. You know what? No hot babes waiting there for me, talk
    about mis-information.
    --