I need a few good GPS waypoints

Bruce W.1

Guest
On Usenet people are always asking for good GPS waypoints, either to enter into their GPS unit or to
calibrate scanned maps from which tracks, routes, and other waypoints are made with software like
OziExplorer and ExpertGPS.

Many websites offer GPS waypoints. Some sites have millions of waypoints. Yet very few of these
sites have accurate waypoints. The source of the data is always uncertain.

Waypoint accuracy is not a great concern when you are driving an automobile. But when you are in the
wilderness or backcountry, especially in foul weather, accuracy of a kilometer or mile is not
acceptable.

Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the GPS
system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more. When compared to current GPS
accuracies of ten to twenty feet, maps leave a lot to be desired. And so if we want accurate
waypoints we must do one of the following:
1. Skip the maps altogether and find good waypoints for the locations.
2. Get maps and calibrate them with good waypoints.
3. Compute waypoints from the maps and hope for the best. So people on Usenet are forever asking
for good GPS waypoints. Now there is a place to get and leave accurate GPS waypoints.

This message is to tell you about a website I created to store only good GPS waypoints. You can find
it at: http://trailwaypoints.com From now on when I take a backcountry trip I will be marking GPS
waypoints and adding them to this site. If you have any good waypoints (accurate to under 30 meters
or 100 feet) then it would be great if you added them to Trail Waypoints too. That way they can be
used by everyone. And you will know where to find them in the future when you need them.

The Trail Waypoints website has interactive mapping that covers -- at this time -- most of the
english speaking world. Just click on the map to zoom in. It can show waypoints that are just a few
meters apart. The waypoints are divided into the following regions:
4. Australia
5. British Isles
6. Canada
7. New Zealand
8. United States

To filter your area of interest, the waypoints (and types of waypoints) are also divided in to the
following activity categories:
9. Backpacking
10. Canoeing, kayaking, and rafting
11. Climbing
12. Horseback riding
13. Mountain biking
14. Winter snow (cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling)
15. 4-Wheel drive and motorcycling

Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes on.
And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.

Bruce

"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the GPS
> system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more.

You have very weird experience then. I haven't found a single map that's out, and definitely not out
by that amount. Just people who incorrectly use maps with GPS units. "Hundreds of metres or more"
Get real, where are you getting your maps from - Wheat-bix boxes? Use the wrong datum with a map and
you'll be out by up to 200 metres or more. Sounds like you need some lessons in either GPS units or
maps, or both.

Trentus

"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
with misinformation>

You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a gps,
but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.

JD

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes
> on. And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.
>
> Bruce

I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these already...
( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information like this up
on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in magazine and
guide books.

just my 2¢

penny s

"Penny S." wrote:

> I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
> While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
> available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
> somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these
> already... ( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information
> like this up on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in
> magazine and guide books.
>
> just my 2¢
>
> penny s

Your concern is noteworthy Penny. Though I'm not sure what can be done about this. Users are free to
enter whatever waypoints they wish.

Your magazine and guide book analogy is perfect.

If you can suggest a way to handle this problem then I'm all ears.

Trentus wrote:

> "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Maps are not always drawn accurately, and their level of precision is nowhere near that of the
> > GPS system. In my experience maps can be off by hundreds of meters or more.
>
> You have very weird experience then. I haven't found a single map that's out, and definitely not
> out by that amount. Just people who incorrectly use maps with GPS units. "Hundreds of metres or
> more" Get real, where are you getting your maps from - Wheat-bix boxes? Use the wrong datum with a
> map and you'll be out by up to 200 metres or more. Sounds like you need some lessons in either GPS
> units or maps, or both.
>
> Trentus

I could give you many examples of things not being where they are shown on the map.

The USGS quad maps are very good. The maps produced by the local park services (even in the USA) are
sometimes pretty bad. I've found things being off by a half mile. It all depends on the map.

GPS introduces a whole new level of precision. And the park services are scrambling to update their
maps. But at this time many currently issued maps were created twenty years ago. Some of them might
better be called an artist's rendering.

Trail Waypoints seeks to overcome these innacuracies.

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> Trentus wrote:
are
> shown on the map.
>
> The USGS quad maps are very good.

and someof them are outdated by 20-30 years when it comes to roads, trails and structures.

The maps produced by the local park
> services (even in the USA) are sometimes pretty bad. I've found things being off by a half mile.
> It all depends on the map.

I thought "Trails Illustrated" had most USNP's covered. Since when is the NPS doing maps? They can
barely keep on on geenral maintenance in the parks.

penny

> GPS introduces a whole new level of precision. And the park services are scrambling to update
> their maps. But at this time many currently issued maps were created twenty years ago. Some of
> them might better be called an artist's rendering.
>
> Trail Waypoints seeks to overcome these innacuracies.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> I thought "Trails Illustrated" had most USNP's covered. Since when is the NPS doing maps? They can
> barely keep on on geenral maintenance in the parks.

Map production, which is different from the handout "picture that looks like a map," is carried
out by the GIS coordinator for the unit. Most map production by the NPS is not published for
direct public consumption. That said, you can get some pre-clipped DEM's and ARC coverages from
the NPS. Of course the files are pretty much set up for ESRI consuption (E00's). Actually, The NPS
has been using GIS and GPS technology for SARR work for ~20 years, including P-code and DGPS
during the SA years.

As for maintenance in the NPS R and T as well as B and U, are generally under funded through
out the NPS.

Reco

> "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
> with misinformation>
>
> You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a
> gps, but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.
>
> JD

What can it hurt to give out a few waypoints?

Look here are a few start points ... Sort of theme riding.

A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N

A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

gullible?

You know the word gullible isn't even in the dictionary.

Enjoy

Reco

"Penny S." wrote:

> Bruce W.1 wrote:
> > Trail Waypoints is brand new so it doesn't have many waypoints yet. Watch for more as time goes
> > on. And thank you for any waypoints you contribute.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> I went and looked just to see what this is about and as the new owner of a GPS and some software.
> While I understand what you are trying to do, I've got some issues with making some of this info
> available to the masses. For example... the only MTB set you have so far is a Petroglyph field
> somewhere out of Boise. Based on the vandalism that regularly occurs at sites like these
> already... ( spray paint, removal/theft, guns etc) who in their right mind would put information
> like this up on the web? Maybe it's the same argument against publication of the cool spots in
> magazine and guide books.
>
> just my 2¢
>
> penny s

I have to agree 100%!!!

In one Canadian deep bush area I take my Jeep, a Jeep website put up a link to GPS points.

The locals with the hunt camps are incensed about it. To the point of being dangerous to any Jeepers
they see in the area.

BIG TIME!

We were on a 10 day camping trip last summer, and had pickups full of drunks from the cabins
harassing us at all hours of the night to the point of us thinking we needed police protection. Bear
season was starting in a couple days, so these are all armed camps.

We had families with small children with us.

I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!

Mike

[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>... <snip "build my website for me" plea loaded
> > with misinformation>
> >
> > You've got to be kidding. There are many gullible and naive people on the 'net and armed with a
> > gps, but I doubt they'll do your work for you and your misinformative ideas.
> >
> > JD
>
> What can it hurt to give out a few waypoints?

Nothing, if they are the right ones

> Look here are a few start points ... Sort of theme riding.
>
> A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N

hehe

> A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
> UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

haha

> Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

excellent

> gullible?

yeah

> You know the word gullible isn't even in the dictionary.

not yours

> Enjoy

I did, thanks.

> Reco

Someone who knows what Universal Transverse Mercator is, how refreshing.

JD

Reco Diver wrote:

> A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
>
> A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top" types):
> UTM 11 436346E 3998605N

> Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N

hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Reco Diver wrote:
>
> > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
> >
> > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top"
> > types): UTM 11 436346E 3998605N
>
> > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N
>

> hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

That heep tool fron Christler seems to drop the (-) from -116 in DMS. Take the UTM to someplace like
topozone and plug'em in .... just do the first one ... I think you'll get the picture. BTW at 37 N
and -116 W you're way in the US, but for this start point you need to be down to the meter.

Tell me when heep comes out with a product that converts Township and Range to DMS .... If anyone
can do it heep can.

Reco

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Penny S." wrote:
>>

>> I've got some issues with making some of this info available to the masses.

First it was maps, then guidebooks, then net trip-reports, now net-posting of waypoints. Each thing
brought (brings) more people to out of the way places. Secret, hard to reach, places won't exist in
a few years. There is always someone who wants to tell about it, and most people don'T realize how
many people are on the net.

>I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!

Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of the
information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
it.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Reco Diver wrote:
>
> > A real hot spot, but the local protect the trails with a vengence: UTM 11 587837E 4105351N
> >
> > A ripp'n downhill but the locals get a bit tense here as well (sort of "drive to the top"
> > types): UTM 11 436346E 3998605N
>
> > Some interesting riding, but the trails only open once a year: UTM 13 363292E 3727147N
>

> hey those #'s aren't inthe USofA

Yeah they are.

JD

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:47:44 GMT, [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"Penny S." wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got some issues with making some of this info available to the masses.
>
>First it was maps, then guidebooks, then net trip-reports, now net-posting of waypoints. Each thing
>brought (brings) more people to out of the way places. Secret, hard to reach, places won't exist in
>a few years. There is always someone who wants to tell about it, and most people don'T realize how
>many people are on the net.
>
>>I don't think posting backcountry GPS data is a good idea at all!
>
>Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
>the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
>it.

So, wilderness areas should have cell phone jammers AND GPS jammers?

I'm sure that the Forest Service can increase the Parking Fee "Demo" Program (did you know that
"demo" means permanent?) and the Outfitter/Guide Fee Program (for commercial and volunteer led trips
only) to the stage where only a few can afford to access wilderness.

I hear Vail is lovely this time of year.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

[email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
> the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
> it.

How much do GPS jammers cost? :)

JW

"John S. Watson" wrote:

> [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
> > the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
> > it.
>
> How much do GPS jammers cost? :)
>
> JW

Apparently Russia sells them for about $2000.00.

Mike

> [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > Those who are against it may fight back by posting mis-information. Once a certain percentage of
> > the information is wrong, the value of the whole will drop. People will loose confidence in
> > it.
>
> How much do GPS jammers cost? :)
>
> JW

I went to that point in the Jeep commercial. You know what? No hot babes waiting there for me, talk
about mis-information.
--