I need a list - what to take for maintenance?

lisan

Apr 19, 2004
I am waiting to get into a maintenance class at the local bike shop; but until that time, what should I carry with me for basic tire changes, etc?

I'm commuting about 12 miles to/from work and had a flat on my way home yesterday (my first day cycling to work!). I always carry my cell phone and my mother-in-law picked me up (she's home at that time of day).

I was embarrassed, though, that I didn't have a pump or anything else necessary to fix my flat. So, what do I need to carry with me?

Lisa

For my daily commute, I take:
1) Small pump
2) Spare bike tube
3) Patch kit (for the second flat that will inevitably occur 5 minutes after your first flat)
4) Plastic tire levers

For longer trips/commutes, I take:
5) multi-tool (allen keys, screwdrivers etc.)
6) chain tool (I've never used it)
7) quaaludes - to calm myself down in the event that I need to use the chain tool.

Originally posted by Saucy
For my daily commute, I take:
1) Small pump
2) Spare bike tube
3) Patch kit (for the second flat that will inevitably occur 5 minutes after your first flat)
4) Plastic tire levers

Thanks! I picked up all of the above yesterday, when I picked up my bike from the shop. Glad to hear that I got everything I need.

Originally posted by Saucy

For longer trips/commutes, I take:
5) multi-tool (allen keys, screwdrivers etc.)
6) chain tool (I've never used it)
7) quaaludes - to calm myself down in the event that I need to use the chain tool.

baa haa!!! I'll get 5 & 6 for my weekend rides; think I'll have to pass on 7 (trying to set a good example for my daughter :D ).

Lisa

Heh, Saucy list is everything you need (including quaaludes -- although just knowing I've got a beer at home is enough for me). For my bike, I take a set of metric hex wrenches instead a full on multi tool with screwdrives ... but it depends on your bike. As for the chain tool, though, I leave mine at home. If you need the chain tool your fuxored anyway. Substitute a cellphone instead.

I'm a commuter wimp...I carry a cell phone and enough cash for a taxi. My entire commute is inside the city and there is "no" way I'm going to start off my work day by trying to change flats, fix tubes, pump tires etc etc etc.

I'm all over the idea of "Hello, cab company, send a van to such and such location for me and the bike...I'm off to work, tha bikes off to the shop".

There are some things that are just NOT worth dealing with at six AM and I'm a-thinking a flat tire on the bike must hit everyone's Top Ten List.

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate

There are some things that are just NOT worth dealing with at six AM and I'm a-thinking a flat tire on the bike must hit everyone's Top Ten List.

I'll have to confess: the last time I flatted on the way to work, I locked up the bike and caught the subway. I hear ya.

I agree. If I ever flatted on the way to work, I would probably walk the rest of the way or cab it. But I would probably stop and change it on the way home, though.

Actually, one time on a longer weekend leisure ride, I flatted twice, using my spare tube. Even though I had a patch kit and plenty of time, I was so emotionally exhausted from changing that first tire that I called a cab.

To add to Saucy's list, I also carry a CO2 inflator so that if I get a flat on the way to work, I can fix it faster and not be late (or very late) to work. If I get that flat any other time I just use my pump.

When I do use the CO2 inflator, I deflate my tire when I get home and reinflate it using my compressor. I am told that a tube inflated with CO2 will lose pressure faster than one inflated with air.

The decision to change a flat during the ride or after invoking cell phone / taxi / Mother-in-Law, partly depends on the bike in question. If you have Quick Release Skewers and the tools mentioned above (especially the spare tube) a tube can be changed out in about 20 minutes.

Here's another idea. Either purchase self sealing tubes (www.nashbar.com has them) or make them yourself by buying some "Slime" tire sealant. It is supposed to be good for up to 2 years! It might be a little messy, but you would put it in ahead of time...