I need a mnemonic

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Marius Van Der, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a good
    mnemonic for it. Thanks

    Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    Tags:

  2. Mark Wallace

    Mark Wallace Guest

    Marius van der Lubbe wrote:
    > I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    > good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >
    > Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    It's only about fifteen words. Can't you remember that many?

    --
    Mark Wallace
    For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit: The Anglo-American Humour (humor) Site

  3. >Marius van der Lubbe wrote:
    >> I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    >> good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >>
    >> Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    Couldn't do it. But if you'll allow me to paraphrase,

    CALM Breathe Eyes on the horizon FORm/Easy Easy/Flow FOcus Relax Toes (Well, you know Ozzie...)

    We get: Calm Before Effort

    Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150 [email protected] 229B Physics
    Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc

  4. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:43:01 +0200, "Mark Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Marius van der Lubbe wrote:
    >> I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    >> good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >>
    >> Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus
    >
    >It's only about fifteen words. Can't you remember that many?

    Even fewer if you cut out the words that you can manage without - 'eyes on the', 'relax' (twice),
    and probably two of 'form/smooth/flow'. The words you leave out should come back to you when you
    memorise the remainder. So: Calm, form, horizon, shoulders, jaw, breathe, focus.

    Can Fredo Hide Solly's Jewels Before Friday?

    (Though personally I'd find it just as easy without the mnemonic).

    --
    Paul My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003): http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

    Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at: http://www.justgiving.com/london2004

  5. >> I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    >> good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >>
    >> Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus
    >
    >It's only about fifteen words. Can't you remember that many?

    Not at mile 20!

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    > I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    > good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >
    > Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    Use your anatomy as a relaxation "map" or checklist, starting at the top and working your way down,
    perhaps: mind, eyes, ears, mouth, jaw, shoulder, back muscles, spine, lung, arms, wrists, hands,
    diaphragm, hip, etc.

    Mind to conduct, eyes to minimize vertical bounce, ears to stay quiet, lungs to breathe, diaphragm
    active, hands unclenched . . .

  7. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
    details. ]]

    In article <[email protected]>, Marius van der Lubbe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    > good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    >
    > Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    Attend Breathe Calm Diaphragm Eyes on Horizon Focus Get Relaxed Jaw Hear Relax Shoulders I's on the
    Horizon Jaw Relaxed Keep shoulders relaxed Light and Lubed Move smooth Marius Neck relaxed Over the
    ground and easy Peace Quiet Mind and Calm Relaxed Smooth Top of head up, eyes on the horizon U are
    calm, smooth and focused Very lightly running over the earth like a cushion riding van Wonder X real
    X Y - because I'm ner mind/body and spirit and no where else Z - it's E Z Oz-E To (start again)

    Once you get the rhythm and the rhyme in your mind, the song you create will create the trance that
    will allow you to let the miles flow by being present to yourself, your body and your environment.

    The A's B's and C's of Oz Ease Mnemonic

    Always Breathe Calm Delight, Be Light Eyes on Horizon Focus Get Relaxed Jaw/Shoulders Head up too
    (start again)

    In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Brian Baresch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    > >> good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus
    > >
    > >It's only about fifteen words. Can't you remember that many?
    >
    > Not at mile 20!

    Brian,

    Those that know the trance that dances into the mind somewherre between 15 and 20 will understand.

    20 miles is 182 minutes divided by 20 or 91 so....seconds/minutes 20 miles is 182 minutes divided by
    but my half marathon was Okay, okay. 10 miles was 93 minutes or 9. 3 minutes per mile .3 of 60
    seconds is 18 seconds. But my 18 mile time was... Wait, wait, Now I've just passed 21 and 192, My
    god, I've slowed down a whole minute in the last mile Calm, focus, breathe, shoulders relaxed, toes
    relaxed So 192 is is 3 hours and 12 minutes and I need to finish in 3:56 for my 9 minute pace Calm,
    focus, breathe, shoulders So I have 44 minutes to go 5. 1 miles Oh S$#*%, I know that I'm not Wait,
    wait, wait. Focus, breathe, Relax shoulders Damn I didn' realize my jaws and shoulders were to
    tense. relax, relax, breathe Be Here Now.

    I know you know I know you know I know I know you know I know you know.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I copied this list from one of Ozzie's posts and was hoping somebody could help come up with a
    > > good mnemonic for it. Thanks
    > >
    > > Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus
    >
    > Use your anatomy as a relaxation "map" or checklist, starting at the top and working your way
    > down, perhaps: mind, eyes, ears, mouth, jaw, shoulder, back muscles, spine, lung, arms, wrists,
    > hands, diaphragm, hip, etc.
    >
    > Mind to conduct, eyes to minimize vertical bounce, ears to stay quiet, lungs to breathe, diaphragm
    > active, hands unclenched . . .

    As Bill has so vividly pointed out: We are symbolic animals. We live our lives through stories and
    pictures, verbal/visual/knesthetic

    Hands relaxed.

    In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  10. You don't need a mnemonic. You need a high colonic. You're so full of it, I can smell it when
    you speak.

  11. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    Ozzie Gontang wrote in message <111020030934469070%[email protected]>...
    >Attend Breathe Calm Diaphragm Eyes on Horizon Focus Get Relaxed Jaw Hear Relax Shoulders I's on
    >the Horizon Jaw Relaxed Keep shoulders relaxed Light and Lubed Move smooth Marius Neck relaxed
    >Over the ground and easy Peace Quiet Mind and Calm Relaxed Smooth Top of head up, eyes on the
    >horizon U are calm, smooth and focused Very lightly running over the earth like a cushion riding
    >van Wonder X real X Y - because I'm ner mind/body and spirit and no where else Z - it's E Z Oz-E
    >To (start again)
    >
    >Once you get the rhythm and the rhyme in your mind, the song you create will create the trance that
    >will allow you to let the miles flow by being present to yourself, your body and your environment.
    >

    >The A's B's and C's of Oz Ease Mnemonic

    <troll mode="on"> Is that sung to the tune of 99 bottles of beer on the wall? <troll mode="off">

    While I like Ozzie's advise, we had someone talk at our local marathon and he broke it down
    into 4 items.

    Run tall, drive your arms, foot strike and watch your breathing.

    You can find more about him at: http://www.runningbuzz.com/coachgp.htm

    I still find it hard to believe that I can now people I ran an 18:43 5k. So what if it is short.
    Oddly enough, it seems the longer courses make runners madder than the shorter ones.

    -2k

  12. That is truly scary!!

    --
    To email, remove SPAM.com and replace with wadham DOT oxford DOT ac DOT uk

  13. >Those that know the trance that dances into the mind somewherre between 15 and 20 will understand.

    >20 miles is 182 minutes divided by 20 or 91 so....seconds/minutes 20 miles is 182 minutes divided
    >by but my half marathon was Okay, okay. 10 miles was 93 minutes or 9. 3 minutes per mile .3 of 60
    >seconds is 18 seconds. But my 18 mile time was... Wait, wait, Now I've just passed 21 and 192, My
    >god, I've slowed down a whole minute in the last mile Calm, focus, breathe, shoulders relaxed, toes
    >relaxed So 192 is is 3 hours and 12 minutes and I need to finish in 3:56 for my 9 minute pace Calm,
    >focus, breathe, shoulders So I have 44 minutes to go 5. 1 miles Oh S$#*%, I know that I'm not Wait,
    >wait, wait. Focus, breathe, Relax shoulders Damn I didn' realize my jaws and shoulders were to
    >tense. relax, relax, breathe Be Here Now.

    Yep, that's about how it goes. Heck, you may have seen my race report from a coupla months ago where
    I couldn't do the basic math at mile 3 of a 5K ...

    --
    Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  14. Maxaluminum

    Maxaluminum Guest

    [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You don't need a mnemonic. You need a high colonic. You're so full of it, I can smell it when
    > you speak.

    It's too hard for them to remember anything AND concentrate on their music as they run. Colonics
    don't go high enough.