I need a monster-chain lock......which one do you like?

DougC

Guest
I have a pair of Master Lock 9-link street cuffs and they work fine when
there's something small enough to get them around, but as I use the
bicycle to ride more places, I'm seeing more and more that the 9-link
won't work--some places there's nothing permanent and small enough to
lock it around. So I'm shopping for a monster-chain lock.

On Amazon I see (of the Kryptonite brand) they have a Fagheddaboutit
lock with 3' regular chain, a EV-disk lock with 3' regular chain, and
also a 4' New York Noose with an ev-disk lock.

Of the lock types, which is better? Or at least newer?

Also on the chains--is there any practical advantage to either type?
(...I'm trying to imagine what you could lock the noose one with, that a
regular chain wouldn't do just as well... <?:>| )

Alternately feel free to mention any other similar setups. But I expect
with purchase and shipping I'm gonna be down about $100 whatever I get.
~

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:45:50 -0500, DougC <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alternately feel free to mention any other similar setups. But I expect
>with purchase and shipping I'm gonna be down about $100 whatever I get.
>~

A local locksmith might be a good place to look for a lock.

A yard of through hardened chain and a professional grade Master lock
will cost about that.

An inner tube slipped over the chain keeps it from scratching the
bike

My lock and chain weighs 3.1 kilograms.
--
zk

On Jun 1, 5:45 pm, DougC <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a pair of Master Lock 9-link street cuffs and they work fine when
> there's something small enough to get them around, but as I use the
> bicycle to ride more places, I'm seeing more and more that the 9-link
> won't work--some places there's nothing permanent and small enough to
> lock it around. So I'm shopping for a monster-chain lock.
>
> On Amazon I see (of the Kryptonite brand) they have a Fagheddaboutit
> lock with 3' regular chain, a EV-disk lock with 3' regular chain, and
> also a 4' New York Noose with an ev-disk lock.
>
> Of the lock types, which is better? Or at least newer?
>
> Also on the chains--is there any practical advantage to either type?
> (...I'm trying to imagine what you could lock the noose one with, that a
> regular chain wouldn't do just as well... <?:>| )
>
> Alternately feel free to mention any other similar setups. But I expect
> with purchase and shipping I'm gonna be down about $100 whatever I get.
> ~

There's a really good review of 28 locks in the May issue of Cycling
Plus. The Faghettaboudit tested very well. The article also discusses
the advantages and disadvantages of various types of lock systems.

cycledork wrote:
> There's a really good review of 28 locks in the May issue of Cycling
> Plus. The Faghettaboudit tested very well. The article also discusses
> the advantages and disadvantages of various types of lock systems.

I ended up ordering a 5' Faghettaboudit for $120 all up.
The EV-Disk lock isn't built quite as thick, and as one guy put it:
"...if you can't find small enough things to lock up to and you get the
3', then you're gonna be counting all the things that the 3' won't fit
around that the 5' would have".....
~