i need a new chain

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
mine's good and worn, it'll sometimes pop out of gear when i romp on it, or clack around when i shift. I had it checked out, its just worn, nothin else wrong. What are some chains you guys had that were good? anything i should look out for while riding before i get the new one put on(as im still riding w/ the old one)? any tips on increasing the life of a chain?

In my mind, the key decision is b/n one that's locked in vs one that use some form of magic link that allows you to easily take it off.

Wipperman, Shimano, and SRAM have all been good to me. Campy is probably good as well, just a little out of my price range and I don't have any Campy drivetrain components to use it with. To get the max life out of a chain, you have to clean and lube it regularly. I use ProLink every 100 - 150 miles on mine. I like ProLink because it is simple to use. Wipe the chain, apply the ProLink, wipe off the excess. Of course there are a lot of other lubes out there that work just as well, maybe just not as easily.

If your chain is that worn/stretched, make sure that your chainrings are ok. If they are also worn by the worn chain, then you'll probably have to change them along with the new chain. Otherwise you will continue to have problems with the new chain.

Yup. As Darklord says, you should probably check your chainrings and cassette... chances are that you have worn them also. If they are too worn they will continue to skip and cause shifting trouble with your new chain.

[ any tips on increasing the life of a chain?[/QUOTE]Ultegra chain for me and it's at 7,500 kms with 0.3% stretch/wear. Measured with a vernier caliper. Regular use of ProLink seems to be the trick. I doubt that the brand is critical as long as it is of good quality.
I might add that the chain hasn't been off the bike since fitting
Halcyon1

Cycler6n said:
any tips on increasing the life of a chain?
When it has rained I take mine off, wash it, then wax it. Use straight parafin wax, drop the chain in a pan I have specially for the purpose, and warm it up. Occasionally knock the wax out and scrape the detritus which nicely collects in the bottom into a bin. Also have a really strong magnet rivited to the side of the pan, is good to pull loose metal away.

I know, waxing, but I'm old fashioned.

There again I also think chain-oil is a conspiracy to make you buy new chains, rings and cogs. Much like compact sets are...

threaded said:
When it has rained I take mine off, wash it, then wax it. Use straight parafin wax, drop the chain in a pan I have specially for the purpose, and warm it up. Occasionally knock the wax out and scrape the detritus which nicely collects in the bottom into a bin. Also have a really strong magnet rivited to the side of the pan, is good to pull loose metal away.

I know, waxing, but I'm old fashioned.

There again I also think chain-oil is a conspiracy to make you buy new chains, rings and cogs. Much like compact sets are...
Whoa, that is a lot of work for a thunderstorm. What speed transmission are you using and how long does your chain last?

Powerful Pete said:
Whoa, that is a lot of work for a thunderstorm. What speed transmission are you using and how long does your chain last?
Well, I'm often minded that the stuff that sprays up from the road round here was at one time actually bottled and sold as grinding paste...

On the commuter currently the front ring is a 47, the back cassette is a shimano 8, 13-30 HG70 and the chain is SRAM PC-890. The chain will last as long as the ring and cassette. How long the whole lot lasts depends on the weather and route, but I recon on better than 4 months but less than 6, anywhere in the region 7000 to 10000 km. I tend to go on until the chain starts droping off when changing gear.

threaded said:
Well, I'm often minded that the stuff that sprays up from the road round here was at one time actually bottled and sold as grinding paste...

On the commuter currently the front ring is a 47, the back cassette is a shimano 8, 13-30 HG70 and the chain is SRAM PC-890. The chain will last as long as the ring and cassette. How long the whole lot lasts depends on the weather and route, but I recon on better than 4 months but less than 6, anywhere in the region 7000 to 10000 km. I tend to go on until the chain starts droping off when changing gear.
Chapeau, then I guess it is justified. I have never had a chain last 10K km. But then again, I run a 10 speed system and part of the deal (IMHO) is that you get more gears for slightly less running time.

I did not realise you are in DK - from what I hear you must be spending a lot of time cleaning your chain in winter...

Powerful Pete said:
I did not realise you are in DK - from what I hear you must be spending a lot of time cleaning your chain in winter...
Yes, basically swop bikes and then do the cleaning in one go at the weekend, if the conditions are really bad and I need to use the bike with studded tires I'll hose it down and swop to a spare chain. Generally at weekends I'm cleaning the race MTB after a race anyways, so it's not so burdensome.