I need a recumbent--used?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill Butler, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Bill Butler

    Bill Butler Guest

    I have ridden the MS 150 eight times but, at age 57, my back is giving out. I can no longer assume
    that position on my dropped handlebars. I can't bear the thought of sitting up in the breeze. I want
    to go to a recumbent, but they are very expensive. Anybody have a used one they want to sell me? I
    live in Norfolk, Virginia, I guess shipping is also a factor if you are not close by.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Bill Butler wrote:

    > I have ridden the MS 150 eight times but, at age 57, my back is giving out. I can no longer assume
    > that position on my dropped handlebars. I can't bear the thought of sitting up in the breeze. I
    > want to go to a recumbent, but they are very expensive. Anybody have a used one they want to sell
    > me? I live in Norfolk, Virginia, I guess shipping is also a factor if you are not close by.

    There's Ebay and there are also 'bent classifieds you can check:

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/recumbent_classifieds.php
    http://www.bikeroute.com/ibrd_cgi/Classifieds/class_ad.cgi?database=recumbent.setup
    http://www.cybercyclery.com/classifieds/recumbent_bikes_list http://www.recumbents.com/forsale.asp
    http://pub152.ezboard.com/bbentrideronline

    --
    I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. -
    Mother Teresa

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill, also try www.bentrideronline.com

    regards,

    Bill "Bill Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have ridden the MS 150 eight times but, at age 57, my back is giving
    out.
    > I can no longer assume that position on my dropped handlebars. I can't
    bear
    > the thought of sitting up in the breeze. I want to go to a recumbent, but they are very expensive.
    > Anybody have a used one they want to sell me?
    > live in Norfolk, Virginia, I guess shipping is also a factor if you are
    not
    > close by.
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Rongmal

    Rongmal Guest

    Hi Bill, I have a Lightning Thunderbolt A-10 that I can sell. I live in Chesapeake, VA which is
    close by to you. I left you an email message. Regards, Ron

  5. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Hey grandpappy namesake:

    What a difference a bent makes on the back.
    I have no chronic back issues, but 25 miles on my mountain bike and my 47 year old back feels it for 2 days, 1 day recovery for a comparable distance on my road or cruiser bikes. 35 miles on the bent, not a hint of back pain. I do have rear suspension on my bent, but the seat and straighter waist-back angle appears to be the bigger aid. However, suspension is an additional nicety I’d recommend for easing the jolts on the back.

    The major recumbent dealers here in metro DC- Bikes at Vienna and Mt. Airy Bikes, sell used bents, if there are no bent dealers in your area give them a try.

    There are a few low cost bents you might consider in case you don’t find a used one.

    Sounds like you're wanting to stay on 2 wheels.
    Sun EZ-1
    Actionbent
    Human Powered Machines Phasor
    S & B recumbents
    Backsafer (a folding clwb with chiropractor designed seat)
    BikeE (they went out of business in ’02 but there are some new ones still around selling at big discount).

    You might also consider rear suspension as that would be a big help on backs too.

    -grandson of another Bill Butler

  6. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Correct that to the Phaser's stablemate the Trick as the budget bent at Human Powered Machines.

  7. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Bill.For your bad back I have a very nice RANS Gliss that is for sale. It about the same size as the
    RANS tailwind. It is dual a 20" rear suspended LWB .The rear shock is a cane creek air shock.Pump
    included. $600 + ship[about $75].

  8. dumbnhappy

    dumbnhappy New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Bill, do you still have this Rans Gliss for sale? I am looking for a suspension bike myself because of my size (6'5" 300#) and back problems.

  9. dumbnhappy wrote:

    > Bill, do you still have this Rans Gliss for sale? I am
    > looking for a suspension bike myself because of my size
    > (6'5" 300#) and back problems.

    You might not need a suspension bike, because if you are
    near its weight limit for the suspension it won't work.

    --
    I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just
    wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

  10. Paul Milner

    Paul Milner Guest

    dumbnhappy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill, do you still have this Rans Gliss for sale? I am
    > looking for a suspension bike myself because of my size
    > (6'5" 300#) and back problems.

    I, too, am 6'-5" and some 300+ lbs. While I liked the Gliss,
    it wasn't long enough. I have a 47" x-seam. If I recall, the
    Gliss only went to a max of 44". Paul Milner

  11. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    dumbnhappy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill, do you still have this Rans Gliss for sale? I am
    > looking for a suspension bike myself because of my size
    > (6'5" 300#) and back problems.
    yes the bike is still for sale BUT I know your to tall for
    the bike and the cane creek rear shock [I think] might not
    be able to handle your weight .I'm 5'11" and have the seat
    almost all the way back.

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    dumbnhappy wrote:

    > Bill, do you still have this [RANS] Gliss for sale? I am
    > looking for a suspension bike myself because of my size
    > (6'5" 300#) and back problems.

    Contrary to intuition, short wheelbase recumbents are easier
    to fit for taller riders, and long wheelbase recumbents are
    easier to fit to shorter riders.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  13. dumbnhappy

    dumbnhappy New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

  14. dumbnhappy

    dumbnhappy New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks for the replies (everybody that took the time).