I need a transport rack for my Chevy SUV.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Problem is, I don't have the trailer hitch mount on it. And, it's kinda high for a roof rack.

I'm consider this Rhino-Rack that mounts over the rear-mounted spare tire:

http://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Rack-Wheel-Mount-Carrier/dp/B0047PAD0G/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357068725&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=rhino+rack+over+the+tire+bike+rack

It's pretty cheap, but I think it will be sufficient for my needs -- hauling 1 or 2 bikes without having to put them in the vehicle, which is a little small to do efficiently.

Unless I take the rare out-of-towner, mostly just local transport, 10-15 miles to a park, that sort of thing.

Anyone have experience with this kind of rack? Safe for the bikes, secure, durable?

TIA.

Depending on what Chevy SUV you have, you did mentioned interior was kind of small for your bike, interior transport if it is secure and upright might still be a great option. I also hated laying my bike down inside my Subaru Outback,

so I invented CycleRest as a portable and convenient way to transport bikes inside of SUVs and Hatchbacks. You can read more here about comparing it to roof, hitch and trunk mounts: http://www.cyclerest.com/#!A-New-Ideal-Rack/c14tu/CDDC3E24-EE86-49C2-B307-B4B1E66B327C

Was always wondering, are these things safe for the bike?

I was going to these organized tours and once I took a hybrid I had and they had a DIY bike trailer, something like that:

Which at some point costed me a bike seat. It got somehow shredded from the bike next to it or something.

Is it safe to put the bikes in 100km/h wind loads and stuff?

That trailer looks plenty safe and well made for the job.

We are Americans, however, and prefer a solution more in line with our...expectations.

Plenty of power, plenty of room and the protection afforded your bicycles is awesome. For an extra $60,000 we can include a well equipped Campagnolo spares department with mechanic on-call.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Plenty of power, plenty of room and the protection afforded your bicycles is awesome. For an extra $60,000 we can include a well equipped Campagnolo spares department with mechanic on-call.

Hmmm...
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Damn, I shoulda just bought a bigger car. The concept of a compact SUV is great 95% of the time, better on gas mileage, easy to park, etc.

I actually did order the rhino rack - as with many other projects, it's still in its box in the garage. I bought a Thule roof rack at REI for the new Chevy, after talking to the sales man in the cycling department, who said he's see way too many rear-enders trash good bikes. Of course, he also said he's seen bikes taken out by garage doors and low overheads. It's still in the box, too, but not like I've needed it yet.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy
Damn, I shoulda just bought a bigger car. The concept of a compact SUV is great 95% of the time, better on gas mileage, easy to park, etc.
A compact what?
big-smile.png

A6 allroad quattro:
smile.png

Originally Posted by Volnix

Hmmm...
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Nice ;)

I dig Ashes of the Wake more but I'd go with those strippers any day of the week... ;)

... if I were a single guy that is.

Saw 'em on the Machine Head Mayhem Tour a few years ago. Fun times...

Quote by Swampy:
"Saw 'em on the Machine Head Mayhem Tour a few years ago. Fun times..."

I never would have guessed you as a death metal head. Volnix...maybe.

In this weeks Cleveland Scene Magazine, an article about Lamb of God: http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/02/27/documentary-about-metal-band-lamb-of-god-makes-its-local-debut-tonight-in-solon

"They also devoted some of the footage to interviews with frontman Randy Blythe, who had recently embraced sobriety."

Quote by Volnix:
"A6 allroad quattro:"

Too small and with all the stunning styling of a Cuisinart Toaster.

Quote by Volnix:

It doesnt have -any- styling...
big-smile.png

Quote by Volnix:

Seriously, I think Audi is one of the best looking cars on the road now. This particular one however is not the pick of the litter.

The front end of that A6 reminds of an angry mother-in-law.

I would be afraid to ask you want the back end reminds you of.

The front end of that A6 reminds of an angry mother-in-law.
Still looks better then the similar Matsubaru Forester.
big-smile.png

Yeah, Soobaroos are just hideous. They are 'the' car to buy if you are gay, lesbian, trans-species or a nimrod here in the States. Urbane Hipsters luvs them some Soobaroos.

How's this for a styling tour de force?

Can you imagine a dozen over-paid morons sitting around a mockup of this piece of **** and wildly voting to actually build a design that retarded? And people have the nerve to say the Chevy Vega was a lump of steaming ****? At least it had the redeeming quality of blowing up and removing its ugly ass from the highways of America.

Hell, the Japs wouldn't even sell that *****-on-wheels in their home market for fear of driving up the national suicide rate.

How's this for a styling tour de force?

I dont know CB, that's pretty hideous alright, but I think that they done even better in the past...
big-smile.png

In all its glory. The Subaru XT Coupe! With Aero Door Handles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Lolololololol)

love.png

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Swampy: "[COLOR=181818]Saw 'em on the Machine Head Mayhem Tour a few years ago. Fun times..."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]I never would have guessed you as a death metal head. Volnix...maybe.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]In this weeks Cleveland Scene Magazine, an article about Lamb of God: [/COLOR]http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/02/27/documentary-about-metal-band-lamb-of-god-makes-its-local-debut-tonight-in-solon [COLOR=181818]"[/COLOR]They also devoted some of the footage to interviews with frontman Randy Blythe, who had recently embraced sobriety." 
Randy went through a rough time between being f**ked up on booze and the manslaughter charges in the Czech Republic that he was acquitted from. There's some youtube footage of many a drunken argument on the bands your bus. As for being a metal head, I've always been into the heavy music even back when Sabbath, Rush, UFO and Motorhead were the heavy bands of the day. Speaking of Machine Head, I even get a mention on the liner notes of The Blackening CD for helping with the chants on the first song on the CD.

They've done worse that that. The pseudo-mullet mobile:
800px-SubaruBaja.jpg
All business up front but sadly not enough room for a party out back. Outback. That was another abomination. The wrx were neat, until you drive them like the name suggests then the gearbox deserves its nickname of a glassbox and then the real realization of why the STI costs that much more kicks in ( it has a real gearbox with gears that don't explode on the first enthusiastic gear change without the clutch)