I need advice on what entry level distance bike to get

Tharen101

May 4, 2005
I am just starting to really get into cycling. I have been riding for about a year on a used road bike but I am planning on purchasing a new bike this summer. I am looking for a good road bike that I can train on and participate in centuries (100+ miles) with. I have been doing alot of reading about how to find the right fit in a bike but I don;t really know where to start when it comes to brand names and such. I am looking to spend about $800 dollars on the bike and I am also looking for a heart rate monitor that I can get for around $100. Thanks

If you are in the USA then I think you can get a decent bike in that price range from Trek, Giant, Specialized and probably most of the big companies. I bought a Trek 1200 in that range and it is workign well for me. They will all probably have aluminum frames and probably a carbon fibre fork and seat post. So your best option is to try a few bikes out and see what feel most comfortable. I would look at Shiman Tiagra groupo as the lowest point to start at. It is (IMO) a big steup up from the Sora. A 105 group might be available as well and is also good.

I would look at Cateye fro a decent HRM. It is the only type I have tried and so far it has worked wonders for me.

If you can find a steel frame road bike it might make the distance seem a little less harsh. I know bianchi and lemond make some that are in your price range.