I need advice , on what types of food I should eat .

Berniemac77

Jul 18, 2013
Hello, I am 17 years old and I began cycling again earlier this year . I began in 7th grade witch i was 14 , but i never really had that much on an interest in road cycling , until now I love it and I regret giving up back then . Since I gave up at the time I gotten fat , just eating every unhealthy type of food there is . One day I decided , I don't want to live my life with jelly rolls and be stuck in my house ! My father got me into cycling again and well it was a though experience getting back into it because once you stop , its a real drag to come back at it again . So I had to cut down what types of food i should eat , from preventing me to get fat because I would eat lot . Now since my body is in more of a slim shape witch I'm glad that I have gotten slim , I want to know what are more better food's for me to eat . I have read many cyclist diet articles but I don't want it to be a diet , I want it to be a life style .

What I eat/drink is usually Salads,Fruits,Oat Meal,Homemade fruit juices, A lot of water , and little slim crackers < just to prevent me from craving bigger food's , witch helps me overcoming that .

I want to get advice from some one who can help me out ! and give me more options of food choices .

Sorry if it was pretty long , id appreciate it if you read and give me advice !
grin.png

What your eating is good big think is eat lots of greens wheat pastas and if you feel getting hungry have a protein shake or a good protein bar. It will keep your cravings away plus help ur muscle heal faster after long rides if used properly ur legs will get much stronger too. And don't worry protein is not just for bodybuilders every athlete uses it.

Yogurt. Good low fat or no fat plain yogurt. Add whatever fresh fruit is handy. It's filling, tasty, got all the right stuff in it, and it's low in calories.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Your asking some very good questions, and optimizing your diet will definitely have a positive impact on your performance. I would suggest seeking out a registered dietician in your area. Specifically one that has experience working with athletes. It sounds like you are already incorporating some good practices in your diet. Ideally your diet should consist of whole, natural foods, namely fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed meats. The benefit of eating foods closest to their whole natural form is that you get the maximum amount of nutrients that particular food has to offer. Anything that is packaged or processed is likely to be stripped of its original nutrient value, and more than likely will contain chemicals that help preserve the food.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]Also, processed foods tend to be calorically dense but less filling. A lot of research points to the fact that humans feel satiety based on the volume of food eaten vice the calories taken in. So if your eating calorically dense/processed foods you are likely to take in more calories than you need to achieve satiety. An analogy you can make here is eating a big mac, then trying to eat that equivalent amount of calories in fruits or vegetables. You would have to eat about 10 apples to get the same amount calories that a big mac provides. I know alot of people who can throw down a big mac, fries, and a soft drink in one sitting, but if I asked those same people to eat 10 apples at once I don't think they could do it. All this to say if your diet is composed of nutrient dense foods, its kind of hard to overeat, and in my opinion you will take in the right amount of calories your body needs. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= black]You pointed out that you do not want to adopt a diet, but rather something you can apply in the long term. This is the best approach to take when trying to change eating habits so kudos to you. That being said, don't give up the foods you like to eat, instead moderate your intake of sweets and processed foods. A lot of people fail on deits because they restrict and deprive themselves of foods they like to eat. As a result it's only a matter of time before they cave and binge, then feel guilty they fell off their diet plan. Your approach is very wise and it sounds like your headed in a good direction to improve your cycling and health.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally Posted by Berniemac77 .
Every morning on my drive to the post office I stop and buy a doughnut. When I get home, I go out and bicycle fro 3 hours. I have lost 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks.

---

The easy way to keep your weight down is to not have food available.

---

I am starving now. We had a storm and I did clean up around the house. 8 hours of chain saw work - the moving of large pieces of tree is harder than I remember. It is 5pm and I just had my lunch. I really want to go out and pick up a pizza. But ... I am so tired.

Tomorrow is another day. Hope to put in 3 hours on the bicycle, but I need to move the tree to the green waste dump.

Thank you guys so much , for taking your time and giving me advice on this . I appreciate it a lot .

Its been a long time since iv visited this site but im back .