i need cheap tools

Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003 00:18:44 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
> "@thankyou.com> wrote:
>
> >$20 Park shop cone wrenches
>
> Almost any other make is better made than Park's. Maybe the black ones are OK

The _SHOP_ (most expensive) versions are much better than Park's cheaper versions. Have you
tried those?

> >$25 Park Pro pedal wrench
>
> Snap-on (commercial car-fix range) are stronger and cheaper, and still narrow enough.
>
> You can also get any cheap open-end wrench, and spend 30 seconds with an angle grinder.

Neither is long enough to get the proper leverage on pedals that were installed dry, and or
neglected. I have a full set of Snap-On wrenches, and as good as they are, they still don't work as
well for me as the high-end Park pedal wrench. Your solution works fine for properly greased and
torqued pedals.

> >$10 Chain Whip
>
> Length of chain, pair of Mole wrenches / Vise Grips. With a bit of effort, a piece of steel and a
> drill, you can make your own (I'm assuming a bike mechanic has plenty of spare chain)

Ture, but the tool is $10. Is your time free? <G>

> >$5 The one Park spoke wrench to fit _your_ bike
>
> Spokey. The Park wrench just isn't much good (only two side contact)

Good point, the Spokey is better. I forgot about the Spokey as I've used the Parks for so long.
However, even with the two sided contact, I've yet to have a problem.

> >$5 Hobby shop hard wire cutter for cables
>
> No ! Hard wire cutters are diagonal cutters, and they make a nasty cut on soft cables. Get a pair
> of bypass shears If you're in the UK, these are good:
> http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=119/02

Not the ones I started with. They had a weird cantelever design and do not mess up the cable.
China's best at $5 a pair! <G>

I have brand new set of Park's latest "Pro" cutters now, and I really like them. However, they
retail at about $35.

Barry

On Wed, 14 May 2003 11:03:40 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
"@thankyou.com> wrote:

>Neither is long enough to get the proper leverage on pedals that were installed dry, and or
>neglected.

Sure, but is any pedal wrench ? For stiff pedals, it's time to put them in a vice.

>> >$10 Chain Whip
>>
>> Length of chain, pair of Mole wrenches / Vise Grips. With a bit of effort, a piece of steel and a
>> drill, you can make your own (I'm assuming a bike mechanic has plenty of spare chain)
>
>Ture, but the tool is $10. Is your time free? <G>

My time is cheap enough that I can afford to make a $10 chain whip. I'm an ex dot-communist 8-(

Looking at other people around here who are no longer posting from hp.com addresses, I'm wondering
if I'm not the only one ?

>I have brand new set of Park's latest "Pro" cutters now, and I really like them. However, they
>retail at about $35.

Saw my first set of those yesterday. Nice looking tools, with thick steel that ought to avoid the
bending problems and "trapped whisker" that plagued the old Park cutters. Expensive though.