I need help choosing a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame size

cwkrause

Dec 5, 2006
I want to buy a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and build it up, but I’m not certain what the correct frame size for me is. I have always been a mtn biker and have no experience with road frame sizing. My mtn bike (Yeti 575) is a Med (18.5").

I went to my LBS and according to the Fitstik I need a 56 cm road frame. I also tried measuring my inseam according to Colorado Cyclist's instructions and I got 32 inches (I am 5'8" tall). Based on my 32" inseam using CO Cyclist’s calculations comes out to a 54 cm frame. But after getting on 56 cm bikes at the bike shop I believe 56 is the right size, however Surly's touring frame sizing is quite different from the geometry of the road specific bikes I was looking at.

My LBS put me on a 19" Trek 520 (the only touring bike they had), which has a 21.5" effective top tube length and a 28.6" stand over height. The Trek frame size felt pretty good, though they said I looked a little stretched out when riding with my hands on the brake hoods.

Given that the 19” Trek frame is probably the right size for me, I assume I need a Long Haul Trucker with a top tube length around 21.5", which would put me on a 52 or 54cm LHT. The 52 and 54 cm LHT frames have 21.3” and 21.9” top tubes respectively.

Any advice on picking the right frame size for me would me much appreciated.

ask Surly :D and make sure you tell them about your Trek520 experience

Richard

cwkrause said:
I want to buy a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and build it up, but I’m not certain what the correct frame size for me is. I have always been a mtn biker and have no experience with road frame sizing. My mtn bike (Yeti 575) is a Med (18.5").

I went to my LBS and according to the Fitstik I need a 56 cm road frame. I also tried measuring my inseam according to Colorado Cyclist's instructions and I got 32 inches (I am 5'8" tall). Based on my 32" inseam using CO Cyclist’s calculations comes out to a 54 cm frame. But after getting on 56 cm bikes at the bike shop I believe 56 is the right size, however Surly's touring frame sizing is quite different from the geometry of the road specific bikes I was looking at.

My LBS put me on a 19" Trek 520 (the only touring bike they had), which has a 21.5" effective top tube length and a 28.6" stand over height. The Trek frame size felt pretty good, though they said I looked a little stretched out when riding with my hands on the brake hoods.

Given that the 19” Trek frame is probably the right size for me, I assume I need a Long Haul Trucker with a top tube length around 21.5", which would put me on a 52 or 54cm LHT. The 52 and 54 cm LHT frames have 21.3” and 21.9” top tubes respectively.

Any advice on picking the right frame size for me would me much appreciated.
I looked at the Stand Over Height information on the Surly web site. They use a 1.25" X 26" Primo Racer 26 x 1.25" tire that measures 628mm in diameter to determine their data. It depends on how much Stand Over height you get varies with the tires you will use.
http://www.surlybikes.com/longhaul.html
If you aren't sure, I would find a dealer in your area that builds these frames up and ride one.
http://www.surlybikes.com/dealers.html#
Click on your state highway sign and find a dealer in your area. Make sure to give them a call and tell them what you are trying to do. Most shops can order a frame through Quality, but only a few unique shops have them in stock and built up ready to ride.

I am also 5'8", but my inseam is only 30", I like a 55cm TT, and your torso is about 2" shorter then mine. So You'll probably fit better on the 54. or even the 52! Of course, those options stick you on the dinky 26" wheels.