I need help on buying a bicycle.

HankWilliamsJr

Jan 1, 2011
Hi... I'm new here but I needed some help... I haven't rode a bike since I was probably 13-15 and now I'm 24. I need help choosing a good bike because I'm going to start cycling again to help me lost weight... I need a bike that is durable and can hold my weight, I'm 6'4 and 270 lbs... Is there any bike at all that can hold my weight in the $200-300 price range?Any suggestions / help is appreciated /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

I forgot to mention I won't be doing anything "hardcore" on it, just riding it around town or at my park. And probably every day or every other day.

Originally Posted by HankWilliamsJr .

Hi... I'm new here but I needed some help... I haven't rode a bike since I was probably 13-15 and now I'm 24. I need help choosing a good bike because I'm going to start cycling again to help me lost weight... I need a bike that is durable and can hold my weight, I'm 6'4 and 270 lbs... Is there any bike at all that can hold my weight in the $200-300 price range?Any suggestions / help is appreciated /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

HI Hank,
Congratulation in getting into cycling, and welcome to the forums.

I am not the best person to give advice to larger riders, but YES you can easily find a bike that hold your weight. Pretty much any frame will be fine. Wheels are going to be more of a consideration. Basically, you just don't want a low spoke count wheel, and you should be fine.

In terms of price range, you are definitely on the low-end of the spectrum, and thereby really limiting your options. A decent hybrid style bike from your LBS will probably start at closer to $500, but this time of year, deals are to be had since business is slow and new models are coming in, so take a look. You also might look at REI for bikes in that price range, but keep in mind that a relationship with an LBS is worth a lot, and you'd be losing out that by shopping at REI.

Good for you, Hank. You're on the right track. Just by way of encouragement, I've dropped about 60 pounds in the last year and a bit, thanks to my bike and the neighborhood gym. This could be a very good time to buy, with season-end discounts in the bike shops. I got my previous bike -- a tough, very durable, quality-brand comfort hybrid -- at a steep discount from a good local shop. It was about $350 Canadian as I recall, so your budget isn't entirely unreasonable. (The bike was the previous year's model, but virtually identical to the current bike, except for the paint color and the price tag.)

Welcome Hank, you might also check around for used bicycles. A lot of people buy new bikes, ride them a few times, and then they gather dust in the garage.

You might be able to find a really nice used bike for $100 to $300.

Originally Posted by HankWilliamsJr .

Is there any bike at all that can hold my weight in the $200-300 price range?Any suggestions / help is appreciated /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif
Wheels will be your main issue at 270 lbs, but in your price range super-performance lightweight wheels will not be an option, anyway.

Decent new bikes start at around $300, as in a steel-framed Trek 820 recreational mountain bike. If you're persistent, you might be able to find comparable or slightly better equipped bikes, from companies that cover the low end such as Fuji, for a little bit less.

Options start to open up a bit if you can spend $340-400. This level gets you some very nice hybrids such as the Navigators and 7.1FX by Trek, and last year's Specialized Globe Vienna range.

The Trek 820 is the work horse of the Trek line up. My daugther has one around 18 years old and it has been outdoors for 15 of those years and it still works. This bike will support your weight. Craigs List is loaded with used 820's for around 75 bucks. If you do decide to buy used make sure you take it for a ride to check it out before laying your money down. If you decide to buy new I always have had luck buying leftover Models during this time of year. LBS's like to get the older Models off the floor so they can work on moving out the new arrivals.