I need help picking out an important bike component....

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Preston Crawfor

....Okay, so I bought some of those brake levers for a road bike that go on the top bar. Problem is
now my light won't fit without messing up the cable. So I had to buy a Space Grip. Now my bike looks
super dorky. The handlebars at least. So I figure I might as well finish it off and pick out a
really gnarly and dorky horn (or bell) for the remaining space on the Space Grip. Help please?

Seriously, though, just saying hi.

Preston

In article <[email protected]>, Preston Crawford wrote:
> at least. So I figure I might as well finish it off and pick out a really gnarly and dorky horn
> (or bell) for the remaining space on the Space Grip.

At school (U of Minnesota), there's someone who has a sumo wrestler horn. Not much noise for the
size, but definitely eye-catching.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/) GroupLens Research
Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372) *** Just a foot soldier in the Army
of Truth ***

In article <[email protected]>, Dan Cosley <[email protected]> writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, Preston Crawford wrote:
>> at least. So I figure I might as well finish it off and pick out a really gnarly and dorky horn
>> (or bell) for the remaining space on the Space Grip.
>
> At school (U of Minnesota), there's someone who has a sumo wrestler horn. Not much noise for the
> size, but definitely eye-catching.

The community-oriented bike shop here had a plastic maggot squeakie-toy on the pegboard for awhile,
but it sold quickly.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:05:37 -0700, Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:

> at least. So I figure I might as well finish it off and pick out a really gnarly and dorky horn
> (or bell) for the remaining space on the Space Grip. Help please?

Wal-mart has a Bell bell/compass (that is, a bell/compass with the "Bell" logo on it). The bell is
just a little hammer on a spring that whacks the compass's bezel.

The compass does not work.

Can anybody suggest a bike-mounted compass that works?

> Seriously, though, just saying hi.
>
> Preston
--
Rick Onanian

I like my incredivell. I have it on my mountain bike. Instead of mounting it on top of the bar I
have the bell pointed back towards me. Easier to hit it with the thumb that way.

>I like my incredivell. I have it on my mountain bike. Instead of mounting it on top of the bar I
>have the bell pointed back towards me. Easier to hit it with the thumb that way.

Assuming you meant an Incredibell, I have mine mounted the same way.

Actually I have two, the larger one is on the left and a small one is on the right. That way, if I'm
not actually braking, I can make a two tone noise sort of like a European police car. Sort of.

I'm still experimenting with this, I am hoping to get to the point of musical composition before the
springs wear out.

One problem with the Incredibell is that the springs wear out fast.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I like my incredivell. I have it on my mountain bike. Instead of mounting it on top of the bar I
> >have the bell pointed back towards me. Easier to hit it with the thumb that way.
>
> Assuming you meant an Incredibell, I have mine mounted the same way.
>
> Actually I have two, the larger one is on the left and a small one is on the right. That way, if
> I'm not actually braking, I can make a two tone noise sort of like a European police car. Sort of.
>
> I'm still experimenting with this, I am hoping to get to the point of musical composition before
> the springs wear out.
>
> One problem with the Incredibell is that the springs wear out fast.

That is what I meant and when the springs were out I can buy a new bike, right?

>That is what I meant and when the springs were out I can buy a new bike, right?

Well, the typical drill is to buy a new Incredibell. But if you WANT a new bike I'd be the last
person to dissuade you.

What I'm looking for is one of those big French brass bells that works like STI or Ergo, where I can
brake and ring at the same time.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Wal-mart has a Bell bell/compass (that is, a bell/compass with the "Bell" logo on it). The bell is
> just a little hammer on a spring that whacks the compass's bezel.
>
> The compass does not work.
>
> Can anybody suggest a bike-mounted compass that works?
>
My wife bought me a bell/compass combo from the local *Mart store as a gag. The center has some sort
of floating green monster whose head always points north. When it's dark the monster glows. It's
really made for a child's bike, she thought it would be funny to put on the handle bars of my new
road bike. Well, I installed it as a good luck piece and it's been helpful on several occasions. My
guess is that she paid less than $5 for it.

Art

On 25 Jul 2003 13:16:53 -0700, Art <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Can anybody suggest a bike-mounted compass that works?
> My wife bought me a bell/compass combo from the local *Mart store as a gag. The center has some
> sort of floating green monster

That sounds like the one I got.

> whose head always points north.

That doesn't sound like the one I got. Mine never points in the same direction, never stays still,
never nothing. All it does is spin, or if you leave it completely still for long enough, it'll die
down and point any random direction (never the same direction as any other time).

> handle bars of my new road bike. Well, I installed it as a good luck piece and it's been helpful
> on several occasions. My guess is that she paid less than $5 for it.

The other problem I found was that it didn't fit around my oversized top tube, and of course,
there's no room on my handlebar...but that doesn't worry me since it doesn't do anything like tell
direction.

> Art
--
Rick Onanian

Status
Not open for further replies.