I need help with a chain skipping problem...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paulus, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Has anyone had this problem or can they tell me what the most likely cause
    is... I changed my cassette and chain on my mountain bike. The chain is set to the same amount of
    links as the previous one. The gears work fine when on the large chain ring and any gears on the
    cassette (11-30 8 speed). On the middle chain ring, all gears on the rear cluster skip like no
    tomorrow when applying power. This was the same for the smallest ring on the front also, but the
    rear skip seems to have gone when using this (I got fed up trying to go full pelt in the granny
    gears), I cannot tell if they want to up or down shift, but at its worst, the front changes to
    the smalllest ring, while the chain skips to a higher gearing at the rear. I have adjusted the
    deraileur as well as played with the chain tensioning devices, but nothing solves the problem.
    Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings? The LBS said these did not need
    replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds funny to me). Cheers P

    Tags:

  2. "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had this problem or can they tell me what the most likely cause
    > is... I changed my cassette and chain on my mountain bike. The chain is set to the same amount of
    > links as the previous one. The gears work fine when on the large chain ring and any gears on
    > the cassette (11-30 8 speed). On
    the
    > middle chain ring, all gears on the rear cluster skip like no tomorrow
    when
    > applying power. This was the same for the smallest ring on the front
    also,
    > but the rear skip seems to have gone when using this (I got fed up trying
    > go full pelt in the granny gears), I cannot tell if they want to up or
    down
    > shift, but at its worst, the front changes to the smalllest ring, while
    the
    > chain skips to a higher gearing at the rear. I have adjusted the
    deraileur
    > as well as played with the chain tensioning devices, but nothing solves
    the
    > problem. Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings? The LBS said these did
    > not need replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds funny to me). Cheers P

    It Sounds as if your middle chainring needs replacing! You usually find it is the middle as that is
    the ring most often used.

  3. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Thanks John,

    I was thinking this may be so. The thing that confuses me is why the problem would manifest as a
    rear cluster skip!!

    My dopey suntour cranks will need total replacement if the middle ring is worn...the rings are
    not changable :/ Looks like I'll be upgrading to a shimano crankset (and new BB as my current one
    is clicky).

    When bike problems rain, they pour!!

    "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone had this problem or can they tell me what the most likely
    cause
    > > is... I changed my cassette and chain on my mountain bike. The chain is set
    > > the same amount of links as the previous one. The gears work fine when
    on
    > > the large chain ring and any gears on the cassette (11-30 8 speed). On
    > the
    > > middle chain ring, all gears on the rear cluster skip like no tomorrow
    > when
    > > applying power. This was the same for the smallest ring on the front
    > also,
    > > but the rear skip seems to have gone when using this (I got fed up
    trying
    > > go full pelt in the granny gears), I cannot tell if they want to up or
    > down
    > > shift, but at its worst, the front changes to the smalllest ring, while
    > the
    > > chain skips to a higher gearing at the rear. I have adjusted the
    > deraileur
    > > as well as played with the chain tensioning devices, but nothing solves
    > the
    > > problem. Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings? The LBS said these did
    > > not need replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds funny to me). Cheers P
    > >

    > It Sounds as if your middle chainring needs replacing! You usually find it is the middle as that
    > is the ring most often used.

  4. H. Van Beek

    H. Van Beek Guest

    Have you checked all the links of the new chain. If any link sticks, in other words, don't follow
    the cassettering very well, the chain will skip. So check all the links and especially the link
    where you mount the chain. Sticking links you have to give a massage, or bent in horizontal
    direction, so there will be a little more rome in the link. You can do this with a lot of power.

    Succes

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had this problem or can they tell me what the most likely cause
    > is... I changed my cassette and chain on my mountain bike. The chain is set to the same amount of
    > links as the previous one. The gears work fine when on the large chain ring and any gears on
    > the cassette (11-30 8 speed). On
    the
    > middle chain ring, all gears on the rear cluster skip like no tomorrow
    when
    > applying power. This was the same for the smallest ring on the front
    also,
    > but the rear skip seems to have gone when using this (I got fed up trying
    > go full pelt in the granny gears), I cannot tell if they want to up or
    down
    > shift, but at its worst, the front changes to the smalllest ring, while
    the
    > chain skips to a higher gearing at the rear. I have adjusted the
    deraileur
    > as well as played with the chain tensioning devices, but nothing solves
    the
    > problem. Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings? The LBS said these did
    > not need replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds funny to me). Cheers P

  5. It's tough to diagnose a skipping front chainring; it often feels as if it's the rear that's messing
    up. When we have one that we suspect to be skipping, we take it out back (to our parking lot) and
    have one person watch while another rides the bike. This very quickly determines what's going on
    (and has found many front chainring problems that a mechanic insisted were happening at the rear).

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks John,
    >
    > I was thinking this may be so. The thing that confuses me is why the problem would manifest as a
    > rear cluster skip!!
    >
    > My dopey suntour cranks will need total replacement if the middle ring is worn...the rings are not
    > changable :/ Looks like I'll be upgrading to a shimano crankset (and new BB as my current one is
    > clicky).
    >
    > When bike problems rain, they pour!!

    > "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone had this problem or can they tell me what the most likely
    > cause
    > > > is... I changed my cassette and chain on my mountain bike. The chain is set
    > > > the same amount of links as the previous one. The gears work fine
    when
    > on
    > > > the large chain ring and any gears on the cassette (11-30 8 speed).
    On
    > > the
    > > > middle chain ring, all gears on the rear cluster skip like no tomorrow
    > > when
    > > > applying power. This was the same for the smallest ring on the front
    > > also,
    > > > but the rear skip seems to have gone when using this (I got fed up
    > trying
    > > > go full pelt in the granny gears), I cannot tell if they want to up or
    > > down
    > > > shift, but at its worst, the front changes to the smalllest ring,
    while
    > > the
    > > > chain skips to a higher gearing at the rear. I have adjusted the
    > > deraileur
    > > > as well as played with the chain tensioning devices, but nothing
    solves
    > > the
    > > > problem. Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings? The
    LBS
    > > > said these did not need replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds funny to
    > > > me). Cheers P
    > > >

    > > It Sounds as if your middle chainring needs replacing! You usually find
    it
    > > is the middle as that is the ring most often used.

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:13:39 +1100, "Paulus" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >Could the rear cluster problem be due to the front chain rings?

    The problem may actually be skip in the front, if it's really skip and not autoshift that is
    occurring. With a new chain and new cluster, there should be no skip in the rear.

    >The LBS said these did not need replacing when fitting a new chain and cluster (which sounds
    >funny to me).

    If they made this determination without inspecting the chainrings, they did you a disservice.

    As mentioned by another poster, the middle ring tends to wear out first for most people, since
    that's the one that gets the most use for the average rider. It sounds like your old chain and
    cluster was pretty badly worn, which tends to predict that some wear would be present in the front
    as well; inspect and evaluate.

    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
    contains nuts.

  7. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll let ya know what the LBS says when I pick up my beasty.

    news:[email protected]...