I need help with shifting and rear derailer.

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
My rear derailleur on this bike has had problems not skipping cogs. The bike is used and the cable housing was about shot. It seemed like it would stay adjusted for only a few minutes. I had all the cables and housing replaced as it was getting worn and the brakes would not release well.
Well after the replacement now the gears skip in the middle of the cluster.
On my racing bike I have sachs ergo shifters/brakes and a shimano 600 (I think) derailleur the fellow who I got the bike from thought a campy derailler would work. I got a good deal on a chorus used derailler (I forgot the cassette is a 8 speed) and the derailler was a 7/8 speed. Well it was even worse.
We are thinking I need a sachs derailer or new spacers on the cluster? Any idea’s?

Originally posted by stevek
My rear derailleur on this bike has had problems not skipping cogs. The bike is used and the cable housing was about shot. It seemed like it would stay adjusted for only a few minutes. I had all the cables and housing replaced as it was getting worn and the brakes would not release well.
On my racing bike I have sachs ergo shifters/brakes and a shimano 600 (I think) derailleur the fellow who I got the bike from thought a campy derailler would work. I got a good deal on a chorus used derailler (I forgot the cassette is a 8 speed) and the derailler was a 7/8 speed. Well it was even worse.
We are thinking I need a sachs derailer or new spacers on the cluster? Any idea’s?
The sachs shifters were compatible with shiamano index RDs other than pre 9 speed DA. the ones I have a reference for were designed for clusters with 5mm cog spacing,meaning shimano and sachs 7 speed and campy 8 speed. They would also likely work with shimano 8 speed spacing of 4.8mm if everything was setup right. The skipping could also be caused by a worn chain,casette, or both.

Originally posted by boudreaux
The sachs shifters were compatible with shiamano index RDs other than pre 9 speed DA. the ones I have a reference for were designed for clusters with 5mm cog spacing,meaning shimano and sachs 7 speed and campy 8 speed. They would also likely work with shimano 8 speed spacing of 4.8mm if everything was setup right. The skipping could also be caused by a worn chain,casette, or both.
I don't think the cogs are worn. or the chain but I will make sure tomorrow. I cna move the shift leaver a bit and get the RD to run fine. think the spacing on the cluster could be off?

I don't think the cogs are worn. or the chain but I will make sure tomorrow. I cna move the shift leaver a bit and get the RD to run fine. think the spacing on the cluster could be off?
If the shifter is made to be compatible with a shimano RD,it won't work with a Campy RD,becasue the throw ratios are different.

Visit Sheldon Brown's web site and check the articles at URL:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html
Derailer Adjustment, Cables (yes, I know you have new ones, but..., Shimano Cassettes ... especially the spacing portion)
You should be able to watch the Rear Derailer and see how the jockey wheels line up under the cogs. If the chain obstructs your view, you might take it off for this observation.
Cable housing ends and bends are a source of potential problems. Lubrication under the bottom bracket passage is also important. Make sure your cables have good freedom of movement before you start changing anything else. Once you have free cable movement, check Rear Derailer adjustment and how well it indexes. If the indexing is off, then you would look at changing the derailer to match the shifter and/or service the shifter.

Originally posted by boudreaux
well I got a campy chorus 7/8 speed RD and it was worse then the shimano. a couple of mechanics thought it was the cog spacing. but the third one saw that the arm on the RD was bent a little. bent it back and it works great.