I need more range on my Shimano Nexus 7

I recently purchased a German made Flyke (recumbant bicycle for flying
paragliders). It came with the Shimano Nexus 7 internal hub system. I
need more range. The bike weighs 45 pounds by itself...OK to ride this
way, but when I add the paramotour, the weight climbs to 100 pounds.

Any suggestions? I need more bottom end in the range.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> I recently purchased a German made Flyke (recumbant bicycle for flying
> paragliders). It came with the Shimano Nexus 7 internal hub system. I
> need more range. The bike weighs 45 pounds by itself...OK to ride this
> way, but when I add the paramotour, the weight climbs to 100 pounds.
>
> Any suggestions? I need more bottom end in the range.
>
> Tom

You can lower the overall ratio to the detriment of the topspeed.
(smaller chainwheel, bigger cog) How low you can go will depend on the
load on the frontwheel, too low and you'll get wheelspin

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently purchased a German made Flyke (recumbant bicycle for flying
> paragliders). It came with the Shimano Nexus 7 internal hub system. I
> need more range. The bike weighs 45 pounds by itself...OK to ride this
> way, but when I add the paramotour, the weight climbs to 100 pounds.
>
> Any suggestions? I need more bottom end in the range.
>
> Tom

Rohloff speedhub - greater than 500% gear range, 14 speeds, very effective
and expensive.

BobT

BobT wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I recently purchased a German made Flyke (recumbant bicycle for flying
>>paragliders). It came with the Shimano Nexus 7 internal hub system. I
>>need more range. The bike weighs 45 pounds by itself...OK to ride this
>>way, but when I add the paramotour, the weight climbs to 100 pounds.
>>
>>Any suggestions? I need more bottom end in the range.
>>
>>Tom
>>

> Rohloff speedhub - greater than 500% gear range, 14 speeds, very effective
> and expensive.

Buggrit, while you're here, a Rohloff *and* a Schlumpf mountain drive.

I agree. This would be the first place to start. Drop a couple bucks
on a sprocket and see if it does the trick. If not, then save for the
mountain drive.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:

> Drop a couple bucks
> on a sprocket and see if it does the trick. If not, then save for the
> mountain drive.

You can probably alter your gearing more at the chainring than you can
at the sprocket. Sprockets for the Nexus 7 will be predominantly in
the range of 16t-21t, with some as small as 14t and others as large as
24t if you look around. Chainrings, on the other hand, range as low
as 20t depending on what sort of crank you are using.

Chalo

Good advice. I am not having much luck finding sprockets. Maybe it
will be easier to find chain rings.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> Good advice. I am not having much luck finding sprockets. Maybe it
> will be easier to find chain rings.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mar 27, 9:26 pm, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Drop a couple bucks
>>> on a sprocket and see if it does the trick. If not, then save for the
>>> mountain drive.

>> You can probably alter your gearing more at the chainring than you can
>> at the sprocket. Sprockets for the Nexus 7 will be predominantly in
>> the range of 16t-21t, with some as small as 14t and others as large as
>> 24t if you look around. Chainrings, on the other hand, range as low
>> as 20t depending on what sort of crank you are using.
>>
>> Chalo

Biggest Shimano Nexus sprocket is 23, but a Sturmey Archer will fitt to.
If you're desperate ISTR you can file a hyperglide sprocket to fit

--
---

M-gineering wrote:
> Biggest Shimano Nexus sprocket is 23, but a Sturmey Archer will fitt to.
> If you're desperate ISTR you can file a hyperglide sprocket to fit

Right you are.
Kudos to Bill Putnam for 'discovering ' that, or at least explaining it
to me.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 2007-03-29, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> is this possible? add a gear at the nexus axle then shift using a
> front derailleur.

It would be a rear derailleur if it was at the nexus axle, unless I've
misunderstood.

I think SRAM make some kind of "hybrid drive" like that.

right. riders ask why don't we...
but it seems like two small spacer 11 cogs and one 44 tooth bolted to
the factory cog ... plus a $10 MO front (now rear) deray
gives...bearing overload?

the gizmo is a site, blew the screen then my mind. i yam obfuskated.