I Need motivation

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by paul mc d, Jun 7, 2010.

1. paul mc d

paul mc d New Member

I havent cycled since september and every morning at work i plan to cycle in the evening, but when i get home i feel shattered and i go to bed for a couple of hours then by the time i get my dinner and wash i cant be bothered going out.
    I basicly need a kick in the backside, but since you folks cant physicaly do that some words of motivation might help.
    Cheers pmd
    ps. I am at work just now and its early morning.

Tags:

2. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

Get up early and ride then, feel better all day. That's good motivation for me. ;)

3. gman0482

gman0482 Member

1. Watch a couple of pro races on tv when you get a chance, or on the web. That always modivates me (even though obviously I can't come close to riding like that).

2. Think of how you will get back in shape and how much better you will feel.

3. Lean your bike against your bed, blocking your way to lay down. :)

4. JUST F*&%IN' GET OUT THERE !!!!

-Hope this helps,

I wish I could ride in the morning, but I leave the house at 5:00am so there's no room there.

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

YOU'RE PATHETIC AND WORTHLESS! GET OUT THERE AND RIDE YOUR BIKE, MAGGOT!! :mad:

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I injured my leg a year and a half ago and could not ride for two and half months. I remember seeing guys on the road doing early spring training and it killed me knowing I couldn't.
    When ever I feel lazy I think back to then and kick myself in the a** and go.

6. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Sorry, can't oblige you with a kick up the backside so......

[​IMG]

7. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Or.... for a friend across the pond, maybe it could be motivating to watch the William Wallace - Braveheart speech and replace every instance of the word 'fight' with 'ride' and 'freedom' with 'bicycle'. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3S8PRWjeg&feature=related"]YouTube - Brave heart speech[/ame]

My best advice would be to have a quick bite like a sandwich and go right out for a short ride as soon as you get home. Tell yourself that even if it's just going to be a 10 minute ride that you are going to go pedal your bike. By the time you get out there hopefully you will start to feel a little better and if so you can keep going.

If I wait until I am washed, rested and fed, there's almost zero chance that I will want to get going again after work.

8. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

It really helps me to tell someone that I see regularly am going to go out and ride. This could be a co-worker, a friend, my coach, etc. They way I actually feel committed to getting the ride in. Planning to ride with someone is also a sure fire way not to slack because you can't leave them waiting for you at a street corner or intersection!

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If you can't motivate yourself then what do you expect us to do? I'm glad you're at work - so nice that you think that's pertinent, like maybe you think that everyone else that cycles doesn't have a job or something....

Either go back to your diet of deep frieds Mars bars and bottles of Buckfast and head down the slippery slope on the way to becomes a character from "Trainspotting" or get your behind on the bike. It's not like you don't have a million miles of countryside to go ride through...

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Why don't you commit to a resosnable training scehdule and report your progress in here on this forum? We will encourage you when you do well and give you hell when you slack.

11. taricha

taricha New Member

Something I've started doing is taking junk food I have a weakness for, and allowing myself half of it. I get the other half after my next workout. It helps me get through my 2-a-days that are fairly miserable otherwise. I've got half an apple fritter waiting on me in the fridge right now.

12. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

So you haven't ridden since september. What kind of riding did you use to do? How often? Basically what type of cyclist were you? I try to find any excuse to get on my bike. I joke with the wife that I'll pick a fight just so I can get out and ride!!! Hahaha. Partly true though.

For me. I have a few things driving me. Get more fit. Lose some weight. And get faster!! I track all my rides and I lie seeing the improvement. Faster avg speeds is the best indicator for me. Faster 10k times is the other one I use. I just constantly Want to get faster and faster.

Go find some riding buddies. Just get on the bike and ride it.

Today. Tomorrow. Hell even if it's for 20mins.... It'll be a start. Something! Go

13. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling New Member

One thing that is key for me is not to sit down once I get home from, but change and get out of the house. Once I sit down on the sofa or nap, it's hard to get back out of the house. Good luck!

14. paul mc d

paul mc d New Member

I want to thank everybody who answered my plea for motivation, as i managed to get out on my bike at least 4 times in the last week an do about 80 miles(20 a day), i went out straight after work and each time i realised how amazing it is travelling along those roads breathing in the fresh air and pushing those pedals.
    I ride a road bike, i have done it for 3 years on and off, I havent really done more than 40 miles in one day. I have ridden bikes all my life (i'm 40 now) mainly bmx with a little bit of mountain biking inbetween, road cycling is my thing now.
    If i did report my progress on this forum where would i do it ?

15. Deafwolf

Deafwolf New Member

This may be kind of hoakey, but maybe it'll work for you. Take your shorts with you to work. Change before you leave. So you look silly walking to your car. When you get home, all you need is to air up the tires, strap on shoes, and go. As for me, I commute to work when the schedule permits and do a group ride on Sat mornings.

16. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

It seems that many people report their weekly/monthly progress in the 'It's killing me thread', especially those of us who are not as young as they used to be. :) There you can probably get some help from the great RapDaddyo as well as others. Good luck! Tyson

17. loket

loket New Member

Try and watch this clip on ironman athletes, I get's me pumping of adrenaline every time i see it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk&playnext_from=TL&videos=KSKo8YYGb3Q]YouTube - Ironman - Till I Collapse[/ame]

18. swampy1970

19. cutegirl

cutegirl New Member

get up early in the morning and ride the bike, for 1/2 to 1 hour daily you will feel very light all the day and it is very easy, just change your time table!

20. swampy1970

Yeah that's it. I'll get up before I go to bed so I can go ride my bike and then get home, take a shower and leave at 5am.

All my problems have been [email protected][email protected]@$!!!