I Need motivation

I start work at 6 am and leave the house at 5.30 so you reckon i should get up at 4 and ride for about an hour.

I think that's what cute girl says you should...

Personally, I'd sleep in and train after work. ;)

loket said:
Try and watch this clip on ironman athletes, I get's me pumping of adrenaline every time i see it!

YouTube - Ironman - Till I Collapse

Not just athletes get the adrenaline pumping when they see this video but I am sure there are plenty in the medical field thinking about that next car in the driveway as people push there body too far and wonder why they have problems later in life...

-js

Find some friends to ride with. Group rides, while not always optimal for training are good motivational tools. Humans are social. Re-discover why you like to ride. Then the trainer sessions are more manageable because there is the reward of getting out there with some folks and just having fun. Not every session on the bike needs to be a sufferfest. And my riding buddies would heap abuse and scorn on me for hypocrisy, since they claim I'm always the one that turns it into a hurtathon, but riding is a time machine that can transport you back to the absolute joy of being a kid. We're not pros. This is recreation... Fun.

You might consider angry sex with someone outside your marriage. That can be very motivating.

kopride said:
We're not pros. This is recreation... Fun.

Well said my friend...btw not to jinx myself but I may be finding a sign of light in this very dark tunnel I have been in for 1 and 1/2 years....

Not sure if it is the PRP study (plasma enriched protein injection), the lumbar support belt or the McKenzie therapy but I was able to do 90 minutes on the computrainer. At this point I just turn it on and pedal as watts is of no consequence. I measure my success in how much nerve pain and I can say I am doing fine.

I do 30 minutes, cobra stretches and than on again but it is working...I could not do 90 minutes if my life depended on it in August of last year...in fact I could barely walk a city block without falling to the fall with nerve pain....:cool:

I will owe you big time if I get most of my life back...I can say I definitely got more than 50% at this point.

-js

Why don't you commit to a resosnable training scehdule and report your progress in here on this forum? We will encourage you when you do well and give you hell when you slack.

cutegirl said:
Why don't you commit to a resosnable training scehdule and report your progress in here on this forum? We will encourage you when you do well and give you hell when you slack.

I am thinking of starting a blog of how a person with herniated discs can make a come back. I believe I can now start it as I am starting at a little more than 0...atleast I can stay on the trainer for more than an hour now.

Just do not know where you go to make blogs...never did one in the past.

-js

jsirabella said:
I am thinking of starting a blog of how a person with herniated discs can make a come back. I believe I can now start it as I am starting at a little more than 0...atleast I can stay on the trainer for more than an hour now.

Just do not know where you go to make blogs...never did one in the past.

-js

Google Blog but there are other formats as well (hope the link works)
I've got one so you know has to be easy :)

Glad to hear that you are back to doing an hour on the trainer. That seems like good news compared to the last news I saw. Best wishes on a continued return.

Felt_Rider said:
Google Blog but there are other formats as well (hope the link works)
I've got one so you know has to be easy :)

Glad to hear that you are back to doing an hour on the trainer. That seems like good news compared to the last news I saw. Best wishes on a continued return.

Thanks for the link...I am thinking of putting the story out there to give people who have spine issues my experience and if a come back can be made.

Thank you for your good wishes and hope your training is going well and having fun.

Where is your blog? I know it must be fun in HOTLANTA.

-js

I've been slacking horribly. While I couldn't ride last week because I was in Florida for 6 days, we returned Friday and I've been out once, mainly due to the heat. I just don't want to be out there while it's 95 degrees and I have the sun bearing down on me. Unfortunately, it ain't coolin' off much, even by 6:30-7:00 pm when we usually go out.

A few weeks ago I overextended myself a bit by mountain biking in the 100+ degree heat (almost passed out despite having plenty of water...), so I've been a bit paranoid, even though I'd be road biking instead of mountain biking.

I've just totally "lost my momentum" with cycling, and really just have to get back into the swing of things; the proverbial kick in the ass. When I'm on a bike, I have a great time, and I tend to forget how much I enjoy it in between riding...

jsirabella said:
Well said my friend...btw not to jinx myself but I may be finding a sign of light in this very dark tunnel I have been in for 1 and 1/2 years....

I will owe you big time if I get most of my life back...I can say I definitely got more than 50% at this point.

-js

Great news. Happy to hear you are finally getting some relief. I just got back from a Baltic trip so I have not been checking my usual forum spots.

The studies seem to confirm that most people do recover from lower back pain, but it is slow and exceedingly frustrating. Speaking of motivation, I put some pounds on during my vacation and was only able to squeeze in one spin bike session on the boat and a recreational ride around Visby. I am back on the trainer tonite, so I will see how much fitness I have lost. . hopefully, not much. Lots of bikes around the Baltics but mostly regular folks riding for transportation as opposed to hard core training. Lots of bikes in Stockholm and Copenhagen. Not as many in St Petersburg or Helsinki, but people are getting around on bikes.

Talk about motivation in the Northern climes. Must be tough to ride with winters lasting 10 months. Most of the people seemed to be taking full advantage of the brief summer and lots of sunlight from 4:30 to midnite. No break from the heat though. It was 95 in St Petersburg, which is record hot. . . and most places weren't air conditioned.

I was in screaming good shape and very light before the vacation so I am hating myself for eating like a slob. I was definitely on the See-food diet. I ate everything I saw. Smoked salmon and cream cheese on bread every morning was death--much different than the shredded wheat with soy milk and berries which is my usual staple. Not to mention huge dinners late at night with dessert. The only thing that saved me was that I did walk at least 5-6 miles per day, and didn't drink the Vodka and alcohol everyone else was sucking down like water. I haven't even weighed myself but the all important tight suit test seems to indicate at least 8 pounds.

We'll see what the trainer and PM tell me tonite. The extra weight will also kill me on my bodyweight training. A few pounds is huge. Oh, well, I guess once a year I have to let loose, and it was tough to justify missing seeing a museum or walking tour in a foreign city to toil away in a ship's gym.

Sounds like an amazing vacation....I used to really enjoy to go to new places and ride just for the change in scenery. Even using the gyms was an experience of sorts...my wife would comment how that is all I cared about. Riding in a new place is so much more fun than the same old route over and over...I especially liked Dana Point.

I would not worry about the few pounds...sounds like you are well on your way to having some of your best years on the bike. Best sometimes to have a bit of fun as this is not a job.

Hope the trainer went well last night. Currently I am married to the CT as it is so steady that it is great for my issues. My goal for now is to keep increasing the time on it and not increasing the discomfort. It will be a long haul. I did over 2 hours last sunday on it in 30 minute chunks. But we are moving our warehouse to Des Moines for shipping so worked more than I did in years putting together skids ... filled 4 large trucks last week about 200 skids of product. I was beat up over the weekend but considering all not bad. My PT using this McKenzie method has been great and the PRP may be doing the trick also.

If I can just not over do it, I can over this and next year get back to a descent number in a bunch of places but too many variables going on right now depending on what Lutz wants to do next.

-js

kopride said:
Great news. Happy to hear you are finally getting some relief. I just got back from a Baltic trip so I have not been checking my usual forum spots.

The studies seem to confirm that most people do recover from lower back pain, but it is slow and exceedingly frustrating. Speaking of motivation, I put some pounds on during my vacation and was only able to squeeze in one spin bike session on the boat and a recreational ride around Visby. I am back on the trainer tonite, so I will see how much fitness I have lost. . hopefully, not much. Lots of bikes around the Baltics but mostly regular folks riding for transportation as opposed to hard core training. Lots of bikes in Stockholm and Copenhagen. Not as many in St Petersburg or Helsinki, but people are getting around on bikes.

Talk about motivation in the Northern climes. Must be tough to ride with winters lasting 10 months. Most of the people seemed to be taking full advantage of the brief summer and lots of sunlight from 4:30 to midnite. No break from the heat though. It was 95 in St Petersburg, which is record hot. . . and most places weren't air conditioned.

I was in screaming good shape and very light before the vacation so I am hating myself for eating like a slob. I was definitely on the See-food diet. I ate everything I saw. Smoked salmon and cream cheese on bread every morning was death--much different than the shredded wheat with soy milk and berries which is my usual staple. Not to mention huge dinners late at night with dessert. The only thing that saved me was that I did walk at least 5-6 miles per day, and didn't drink the Vodka and alcohol everyone else was sucking down like water. I haven't even weighed myself but the all important tight suit test seems to indicate at least 8 pounds.

We'll see what the trainer and PM tell me tonite. The extra weight will also kill me on my bodyweight training. A few pounds is huge. Oh, well, I guess once a year I have to let loose, and it was tough to justify missing seeing a museum or walking tour in a foreign city to toil away in a ship's gym.

jsirabella said:
Sounds like an amazing vacation....I used to really enjoy to go to new places and ride just for the change in scenery. Even using the gyms was an experience of sorts...my wife would comment how that is all I cared about. Riding in a new place is so much more fun than the same old route over and over...I especially liked Dana Point.

Yeah, amazing place and amazing scenery

jsirabella said:
I would not worry about the few pounds...sounds like you are well on your way to having some of your best years on the bike. Best sometimes to have a bit of fun as this is not a job.

Bad habits are tougher to break than avoiding temptation in the first place. I never usually eat dessert, but sure enough after a week straight of the sweet stuff, I'm craving it bad after every meal. Then my wife makes a peach pie this weekend with peaches right from the farm.

jsirabella said:
Hope the trainer went well last night. Currently I am married to the CT as it is so steady that it is great for my issues.

My trainer numbers were pretty consistent 2 x 20 @ 243-45. I also had a good group ride outdoors this weekend but the heat really took some of the wind out of my riding buddies so it was kind of mellow for us.

jsirabella said:
My goal for now is to keep increasing the time on it and not increasing the discomfort. It will be a long haul. I did over 2 hours last sunday on it in 30 minute chunks. But we are moving our warehouse to Des Moines for shipping so worked more than I did in years putting together skids ... filled 4 large trucks last week about 200 skids of product. I was beat up over the weekend but considering all not bad. My PT using this McKenzie method has been great and the PRP may be doing the trick also.

If I can just not over do it, I can over this and next year get back to a descent number in a bunch of places but too many variables going on right now depending on what Lutz wants to do next.

It will all come together soon enough

paul mc d said:
I havent cycled since september and every morning at work i plan to cycle in the evening, but when i get home i feel shattered and i go to bed for a couple of hours then by the time i get my dinner and wash i cant be bothered going out.
I basicly need a kick in the backside, but since you folks cant physicaly do that some words of motivation might help.
Cheers pmd
ps. I am at work just now and its early morning.

What I find the most helpful is having a friend to go with...you push each other, and hold each other accountable. It's more fun with a friend too.

get up early in the morning and ride the bike, for 1/2 to 1 hour daily you will feel very light all the day and it is very easy, just change your time table!