I need pants!

scarleton

Jul 15, 2013
Folks,

This is my first year back cycling in a LONG time. I have never cycled in cold weather before, but this time I am determined NOT to stop cycling because of weather.

The choice of cycling pants is simply over whelming, thus I come seeking advise:) One of the questions I have is: Can one pair work for me when it is cool, not cold, as well as cold (down to freezing), and also work for both wet and dry weather? Or do I need a couple different pairs for all the different weather?

I am big, 6'4" and 310 lb. Currently I am somewhere between a 44 and 46 waste (my old 46 shorts are too loos, my new one's are just a touch too tight, go figure!) So I need pants for big folks!

Sam

Dedicated riding (that is, anything more than pootling along for a mile or two) in rain will get you wet no matter what you do. Either from the inside, from sweat/ moisture released from your body, or from rain from the outside. The trick is to keep from getting too cold.

Apart from that, there's a lot of personal preferences, both in terms of what works, the limits for when cool turns to cold, length of rides, stamina etc.

For me, one set isn't enough. If nothing else, there's laundry to think about. Don't want to miss a ride only because the clothes is in the washer.

For "cool", I use regular long (runner's) tights, together with a set of knee warmers. For "cold" I'll use either the same tights over some long wicking underwear, or a pair of thicker tights, or some tights with windproof front panels.

For cool and wet, it's either the windproof pair, or some water-resistant track suit pants over thin tights.
For warm and wet I can usually manage with something water repellent on my upper body.

Greetings fron NE Ohio!

I like my Nashbar "Mansfield" tights. They are available in 3XL. YMMV. Note, they are cut 'long'. Even the standard lengths run 'long'.

Did you do the Donut Race at Arcanum? A friend ate 16 donuts!

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10053&langId=-1&categoryId=202489&facet=cas_f2_ntk_cs%253AXXX-Large&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/big-and-tall-cycling-apparel.html

I don't find that one set can do everything, so what I have on my legs varies depending on the temperature and the physical state of water in the air and on the ground.

I'm a fan of modular thinking for that. I have a set of knee warmers and really tall socks(calf socks) for those scenarios. Add them to normal riding apparel to make a bit warmer outfit or cover with a light set of wind pants to make a pretty warm setup. Cheaper overall and easier to change once you warm up during the ride.

Reactions: Monte730