i need pictures of fenders on a mtn bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by daveynamja, May 19, 2003.

  1. daveynamja

    daveynamja New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2003
    hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional and looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i think the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage fenders. please post if you have a chance.:D

    Tags:

  2. daveynamja <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue
    > where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional
    > and looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i
    > think the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage
    > fenders. please post if you have a chance.:D

    http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html

    mounted on a bike?

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=11375

    plenty more out there, but that's kind of the idea.

    Fenders rule.

    -Luigi

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "daveynamja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue
    > where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional
    > and looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i
    > think the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage
    > fenders. please post if you have a chance.:D

    I have tried Zefal clip-ons, Zefal full fenders (on a road bike), Zefal Flamingo and Planet Bike
    full fenders. I will whole-heartedly and unequivocally recommend the Planet Bike hardcore fenders.

    http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html http://www.zefal.com/anglais/indexgardeboueang.html

    The Flamingo was nice because it worked on a full-suspension, but only had half coverage. The
    drivetrain and my legs would get soaked and filthy. The clip-ons as well as the flamingo were flimsy
    in their mounting and were prone to being bumped out of place. The Zefal road fenders are also a bit
    flimsy. The Planet Bike fenders are by far the strongest, with the best coverage. Part of this may
    be due to them being built for mountain bikes, but I will stick with Planet Bike no matter the
    application.

    Sorry, no pictures, just recommendations.

    -Buck

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 May 2003 17:00:33 +0950, daveynamja <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i think the clip-ons
    >look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage fenders.

    I have to say that clip-ons are far less effective than proper mudguards. I have the SKS ones on my
    MTB; can't ride in the mud without taking them of, but for hack riding on dirt tracks and roads they
    can't be beat, because they keep the crud down there where it belongs.

    They are not especially elegant, the silver ones look a bit nicer than the black ones, but the black
    ones are less obvious. Pictures? Here's a triplet with some:

    <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2>

    The tyres are 1.75" Panaracer Pasela TourGuards on 26" rims - standard MTB wheel size but with 48
    spokes. If you have IE right-click and zoom in - the pictures are shown half size (broadband user
    forgets about bean-tin-and-string brigade, sorry).

    On my MTB I have Specialized Crossroads tyres and the big 2 1/2" wide SKS guards; they are much more
    intrusve visually. If you're riding street tyres, the ones you see on the bike above will do nicely.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 19 May 2003 17:00:33 +0950, daveynamja <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue
    >where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional and
    >looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i think
    >the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage fenders.
    >please post if you have a chance.:D

    I tried the clip-on Zefals years ago. Crappy coverage. I had full coverage Zefals on a bike for
    years and they held up fine, but I didn't care for the mounting system and the overall look.

    Now I have SKS fenders on my 26" bike that I use mostly on pavement. They are the '65' width, widest
    they make, I believe. I made four modifications to them:

    - needed an extension plate on the front attachment to the fork to drop them below the V-brakes.

    - added a mud flap to the front fender. I used a 6" square piece of
    1/16" black rubber from the plumbing section of the hardware store, which I trimmed and bolted onto
    the fender.

    - after fitting, I removed the 'clip' section of the back sliding attachment piece which bolts to
    the brake bridge, and bolted it onto the fender.

    - both front and back, I needed to grind away material where the fender go through the fork (no
    shock) and the seat stay. I used a sanding drum on a Dremel.

    Fenders are great. I stay cleaner and drier, and the drive train stays much cleaner. Whatever brand
    you end up with, it's going to be better than no fenders.

    Your email address appears fake or generic. This isn't a binary newsgroup, so I can't post pictures
    here. Send me a valid email address and I can send you some photos.

  6. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Check out Paul Dorn's beautiful commuting site: http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting3.html and
    learn to use "Google" Best regards, Bernie

    daveynamja wrote:

    > hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue
    > where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional
    > and looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i
    > think the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage
    > fenders. please post if you have a chance.:D
    >
    > --
    > 1997 silver arrow specialized rockhopper. it's not perfect, but it's my baby.

  7. Grl

    Grl Guest

    I just put on a pair of Planet Bike Hardcore ("permanent") fenders last week ($22 - local shop) and
    they are very intelligently designed, look great, and appear durable. I also examined the clip-on
    style ($12) and they would have been OK too, if not offering the same level of protection as the
    Hardcores, but the Hardcores looked good enough to just leave on and be done with it.

    Get the Hardcores. You will not be unhappy. They come in black, smoke, yellow, and another color I
    don't recall.

    If you REALLY want a picture, contact me direct and I'll e-mail you a jpeg.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
    "daveynamja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hey there guys, i'm looking to buy fenders for my 1997 specialized rockhopper and have no clue
    > where to begin. i just figured that i'd come here to look for help. i need something functional
    > and looks good. i won't be taking them to extremes, i just ride my bike to work on pavement. i
    > think the clip-ons look pretty cool, but i'm hoping to see some pictures of the full-coverage
    > fenders. please post if you have a chance.:D
    >

    > --
    > 1997 silver arrow specialized rockhopper. it's not perfect, but it's my baby.

  8. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I have tried Zefal clip-ons, Zefal full fenders (on a road bike), Zefal Flamingo and Planet Bike
    >full fenders. I will whole-heartedly and unequivocally recommend the Planet Bike hardcore fenders.

    I agree, I have two bikes with the Planet Bike fenders and they work. One is a Rockhopper FS comp
    setup for the road, I like the way it looks.

    jon isaacs