I need recommendations on headlights

Itshardtogetone

Guest
I've seen some bicycle's headlamp that is very bright with the colour that is blueish-white, I just
wonder what kind of light/bulb is that.

Could someone recommend me some powerful bright headlights.

Thanks

I have just bought the pair I think you are referring to. They are great I am told. I bought from my
local bike shop and not this site.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W37324003

Thanks,

Gary.

"itshardtogetone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've seen some bicycle's headlamp that is very bright with the colour that is blueish-white, I
> just wonder what kind of light/bulb is that.
>
> Could someone recommend me some powerful bright headlights.
>
> Thanks

"itshardtogetone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've seen some bicycle's headlamp that is very bright with the colour that
is blueish-white, I just wonder what kind of light/bulb is that.

> Could someone recommend me some powerful bright headlights.

Possibly one of my favorites, the CatEye EL300 L.E.D. . See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/special.html

Regards, L

itshardtogetone wrote:

> I've seen some bicycle's headlamp that is very bright with the colour that is blueish-white, I
> just wonder what kind of light/bulb is that.
>
> Could someone recommend me some powerful bright headlights.

Sounds to me like a High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp. These are SERIOUSLY bright, I expect they
would be far brighter than the LED lamps other posters have mentioned. I've been on night rides when
another rider had one of these; it really lit up the entire roadway.

HID lamps are also SERIOUSLY expensive.

Here's a model from a company I've had satisfactory dealings with (I bought a different, earlier,
non-HID lamp, though): http://www.bikelights.com/Products/Arc.htm

NiteRider also has two versions; helmet-mount and handlebar-mount.

Regards,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

"Mark Janeba" <[email protected]>
> Sounds to me like a High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp. These are SERIOUSLY bright, I expect they
> would be far brighter than the LED lamps other posters have mentioned.

Thanks everybody.

I think HID lamps are the ones I am looking for.

"itshardtogetone" <[email protected]> writes:
> I've seen some bicycle's headlamp that is very bright with the colour that is blueish-white, I
> just wonder what kind of light/bulb is that.
>
> Could someone recommend me some powerful bright headlights.

I'm commuting with a Light & Motion ARC H.I.D. (High-Intensity Discharge) lamp on my road bike, and
I love it. It's very bright (does have a bluish light) lasts longer than my rides do and charges
fast. It's expensive, but I want to ride safely through the winter and commuting is how I ride so
the price (about $370) was worth it to me.

Morgan

"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]
> It's expensive, but I want to ride safely through the winter and commuting is how I ride so the
> price (about $370) was worth it to me.

Definately, safety is worth more than $370.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I've got the Niterider Storm: http://www.niterider.com/products/bike_storm02.html very bright, very
bluish white. the 4hr burn time is the key however - while everyone I ride with switches lights on
and off and busily checks watches to conserve batteries you just keep on cruising. more ride time,
less fuss time. I think Marwi also do a similar product.

nick

"itshardtogetone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... "Mark Janeba" <[email protected]>
> Sounds to me like a High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp. These are SERIOUSLY bright, I expect they
> would be far brighter than the LED lamps other posters have mentioned.

Thanks everybody.

I think HID lamps are the ones I am looking for.

what about rear lights ? To me, safety begins by being seen, and it seems to me that a front light
doesn't do much for that, but mostly a rear light...

Pierre

Pierre Moreels wrote:

> what about rear lights ? To me, safety begins by being seen,

Absolutely... but...

> and it seems to me that a front light doesn't do much for that, but mostly a rear light...

Au contraire! At least for the US accident data I've seen, far and away most (collisions, injuries,
fatalities, one of those) in bike-car interactions are NOT rear-enders. I think the rear enders were
as low as 10% of the total. It's the cars turning left as you're oncoming, the cars that pull out in
front of you, etc. that are most likely to kill you.

Cars overtaking from the rear are scarier in some sense because we aren't watching their approach
(except perhaps in a mirror) - and this is the thing many cyclists (particularly novices) are most
afraid of - but it's not the most likely source of injury.

I DO have a huge taillight for commuting also, in case you're wondering. Mine is a retro fitted
barricade flasher (appx 7" diameter), but some of the newer LED lights are very impressive also.

Regards, be safe.
--

Pierre Moreels <[email protected]> wrote:
>what about rear lights ? To me, safety begins by being seen, and it seems to me that a front light
>doesn't do much for that, but mostly a rear light...

Being rear-ended is surprisingly rare; but be sure to mount 2 rear lights, because you cannot see
when one has failed.

Pierre Moreels <[email protected]> writes:
> what about rear lights ? To me, safety begins by being seen, and it seems to me that a front light
> doesn't do much for that, but mostly a rear light...

Inexpensive LED blinkers do a great job for the rear.

Morgan

I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours :)

Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93

To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up the entire room very well. I
have also sat in our fiat and had my girlfriend shine at me from a similar distance - very bright,
similar to a single car headlight.

It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,

Gary.

news:[email protected]...