I need some advice and tips how to train

bombraid

Feb 14, 2013
Hi. I'm new here! My name is Fredric and I've been on the roads since 2010.
2012 was the year I made my mind up about racing and I tried some races out. Loved it. So now that I'm hooked, I wanna be even better this year.
I've had a pretty good winter. Good motivation and such. I'm training on a monark testbike, with watts.

Now, the training. :)

I'm not doing alot of longer rides, but try to squeeze in atleast 1-2 of them every week. Over 3hours.
Main focus is on L4work I guess you call it. Doing some 2x20, 10x4 etc. Some of em around 100%FTP and some around 90-95%.
And some harder work, like 10x2minutes. Not all out, but some hard efforts.

I think my 20minute-power would be around 340. I'm going to test this soon enough, again. I'm at 75-74 kilos, trying to get to 70kilos.

I need some advice how to continue my training towards the season. I get that I should get more L5-L6 work in, as the racing-season is coming up. So, slow down with the FTP-efforts?

Would be great with some help.
Thanks alot,

Fredric

Maybe my post will help get you started

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/493591/preparing-for-first-mtb-race-of-the-season

I'm from the unscientific end of the sport not having raced for the nearly 17 years.

Our old methodology for training was based on distance. We used to do training rides that were longer than the distance raced.
(many race distances have been reduced in length in recent times in this part of the world).
The thinking being that if your training distance was longer than your racing distance then racing should be easier.

Part of our training involved selecting a gear, say 39x15, and pedalling at a specific cadence throughout the entire ride.
So you might attempt to ride 39x15 at above 90rpm throughout a 4 hour training spin = 75 miles (18.5mph x 4 hours).

Depending on your fitness level, the gear and cadence that you select can be of your own choice.

Originally Posted by bombraid .

I'm at 75-74 kilos, trying to get to 70kilos.

Thinking about the weight loss you mentioned.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/09/question-on-power-weight.html

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2011/08/top-10-things-ive-learned-using-power.html

Thanks guys! I will take it all in and try to do my best with the planning. :)

Maybe the weightloss isn't all that good. 4-6kilos in 2months is pretty much. Why am I doing this?
There is a race here, a GP with 2km x15laps. Pretty much uphill. I came 9th place last year and I was at 78kgs maybe. So already, 74 isn't bad by any means.
12th of may. I want to be really strong then!

The plan is to work alot on FTP for 2more weeks, then cut down on the L4work and focus abit more on VO2max.

Any suggestion how to train before the race? like 3-4weeks just before. So specific as possible? Much uphill I guess, and alot of shorter attacks, like 15s - 30s and 1-3minutes maybe. Both L5 and L6?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by bombraid .

2km x15laps. Pretty much uphill.
Usually with laps there is as much down hill as uphill. But I understand.

Looks like the race is over in 40 minutes. Maybe it is over for some after the first climb.

---

For training - ride the course. 40 laps a couple times a week - 90 to 100 minutes. Work hard to learn the hills.

Maybe 50-60minutes. Pretty hard course. I'm gonna ride the course as much as I can. It's in the middle of the city, kinda... so much traffic.

Thanks!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177751372
Last year

Yes I can :) When it's around zero or max 5-7degrees cold I do bike outside. Not too hard though.
Hopefully I can do some hard intervals outside next month with my summerbike. :D

A broken collarbone and a pretty face. Yeeaaaah. I'll be back though, be sure of it.

Keep the help coming. Thanks all!

bombraid said:
A broken collarbone and a pretty face. Yeeaaaah. I'll be back though, be sure of it. Keep the help coming. Thanks all!
today ?

To bad about the physical damage.

Having looked at your Garmin data it looks like 6-9% for 1/2km. Your speed looked good for the entire event. I guess you have reasonable gearing.

I guess you have other issues now. Get healthy.

Yeah and this year I swill smash those hills even faster.

Too bad with the collarbone but I'll get on the bike soon.

Thanks.

you can still make 1/2 an hour on the trainer or 20 minutes daily, do you have an indoor trainer ?