I need some advice for a friend..

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Spoons, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Spoons

    Spoons Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over the
    holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food list so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat
    one cup of each food on that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie:
    broccoli, green beans, cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)

    I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
    it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
    off of the 0 points list all day & eat nothing else. But how long can that last without getting
    bored of it.

    Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?

    Thanks so much. SPOONS

    Tags:

  2. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:32:29 GMT, "SPOONS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over the
    >holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food list so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat
    >one cup of each food on that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie:
    >broccoli, green beans, cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)

    Not sure if I will explain this very well, but maybe you could take this approach with her. WW is
    based on calories, as is any other weightloss program. Losing weight requires eating less calories
    than you expend ... period. Take the calorie content for each vegetable, add them together, then
    figure out the points - in the manner you would for figuring out the points for a casserole. I'd
    also tell her she has to add a bit of common sense to the program to. If she eats that entire list
    of veggies, she is probably gonna be so danged uncomfortable and running to the potty - from
    overdosing on the fiber. <G> Especially if her system is NOT used to it. Then again, it might just
    be fun to see. <evil grin>

    >I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
    >it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live off
    >of the 0 points list all day & eat nothing else.

    She is grossly mistaken. And just how long does she think she will be able to follow that regimen?
    Weight will come off, but due to the abundance of fiber, will more than likely be nothing but water
    - especially if she is only looking at losing 5 pounds. Then goes back to *normal* eating, and will
    probably put 5+ back on.

    >But how long can that last without getting bored of it.

    I wouldn't worry as much about the boredom setting in, as the other problems she may encounter due
    to her system not getting much needed nutrients from other foods.

    >Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?

    Other than she is a total goofball? LOL!

    Joyce

    >Thanks so much. SPOONS

  3. I would tell her you love her dearly and you think if she is really
    concerned about her weight she should attend a few WW meetings to make sure
    she gets the information right. This will do two things, first if she isn't
    really overweight they will tell her and not you, pass one for you, if she
    is a few over and doesn't follow the whole program, you are off the hook
    again as they told her how to do it and not you, if this won't work give her
    what materials you have, copies preferably and tell her that part of
    changing a WAL is determining questions like this for oneself, Lee, wishing
    you good luck with a difficult friend
    SPOONS <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
    > the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
    list
    > so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
    on
    > that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
    > cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
    >
    > I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
    > it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
    > off of the 0 points list
    all
    > day & eat nothing else. But how long can that last without getting bored of it.
    >
    > Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?
    >

    > Thanks so much. SPOONS

  4. Mette

    Mette Guest

    "SPOONS" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
    > the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
    list
    > so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
    on
    > that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
    > cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
    >
    > I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
    > it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
    > off of the 0 points list
    all
    > day & eat nothing else.

    Seems a bit imature to me, but then again, if she has always been slim, then she has never had to
    diet before. So she doesn't know. Tell her that all foods contain calories - even veggies, so
    although she is eating 0 points per serving, she will still be eating the calories - not many, but
    still kalories...She will probably lose weight very fast. And she can combine it with dietary shakes
    based on water and still lose about 10 lbs in one month. But what on earth will she do afterwards?
    It is a scientific fact that if you lose weight on crash diets that are far from normal eating
    patterns the weight comes off quickly, but it will pound on quickly when she starts eating normally
    again... She can easily lose 5 lbs in one month by exercising and eating approx. 1500 kcalories a
    day (depending on her current weight and age). And it will still be healthy. Once she reaches
    goalweight she should aim for the amount of calories needed to maintain - which is the basic
    metabolism plus lifestyle physical activities...

  5. quiet snickering at Joyce's evil grin, Lee
    news:[email protected]...
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
    > >the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
    list
    > >so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
    on
    > >that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
    > >cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
    >
    > Not sure if I will explain this very well, but maybe you could take this
    approach
    > with her. WW is based on calories, as is any other weightloss program.
    Losing
    > weight requires eating less calories than you expend ... period. Take the
    calorie
    > content for each vegetable, add them together, then figure out the
    points - in the
    > manner you would for figuring out the points for a casserole. I'd also
    tell her
    > she has to add a bit of common sense to the program to. If she eats that
    entire
    > list of veggies, she is probably gonna be so danged uncomfortable and
    running to
    > the potty - from overdosing on the fiber. <G> Especially if her system is
    NOT
    > used to it. Then again, it might just be fun to see. <evil grin>
    >

    > >I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
    > >it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
    > >off of the 0 points list
    all