I need some advice for a friend..

Spoons

Guest
Hi all,

I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over the
holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food list so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat
one cup of each food on that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie:
broccoli, green beans, cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)

I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
off of the 0 points list all day & eat nothing else. But how long can that last without getting
bored of it.

Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?

Thanks so much. SPOONS

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:32:29 GMT, "SPOONS" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over the
>holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food list so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat
>one cup of each food on that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie:
>broccoli, green beans, cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)

Not sure if I will explain this very well, but maybe you could take this approach with her. WW is
based on calories, as is any other weightloss program. Losing weight requires eating less calories
than you expend ... period. Take the calorie content for each vegetable, add them together, then
figure out the points - in the manner you would for figuring out the points for a casserole. I'd
also tell her she has to add a bit of common sense to the program to. If she eats that entire list
of veggies, she is probably gonna be so danged uncomfortable and running to the potty - from
overdosing on the fiber. <G> Especially if her system is NOT used to it. Then again, it might just
be fun to see. <evil grin>

>I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
>it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live off
>of the 0 points list all day & eat nothing else.

She is grossly mistaken. And just how long does she think she will be able to follow that regimen?
Weight will come off, but due to the abundance of fiber, will more than likely be nothing but water
- especially if she is only looking at losing 5 pounds. Then goes back to *normal* eating, and will
probably put 5+ back on.

>But how long can that last without getting bored of it.

I wouldn't worry as much about the boredom setting in, as the other problems she may encounter due
to her system not getting much needed nutrients from other foods.

>Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?

Other than she is a total goofball? LOL!

Joyce

>Thanks so much. SPOONS

I would tell her you love her dearly and you think if she is really
concerned about her weight she should attend a few WW meetings to make sure
she gets the information right. This will do two things, first if she isn't
really overweight they will tell her and not you, pass one for you, if she
is a few over and doesn't follow the whole program, you are off the hook
again as they told her how to do it and not you, if this won't work give her
what materials you have, copies preferably and tell her that part of
changing a WAL is determining questions like this for oneself, Lee, wishing
you good luck with a difficult friend
SPOONS <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
> the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
list
> so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
on
> that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
> cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
>
> I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
> it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
> off of the 0 points list
all
> day & eat nothing else. But how long can that last without getting bored of it.
>
> Can someone give me some suggestions on what to tell her?
>

> Thanks so much. SPOONS

"SPOONS" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
> the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
list
> so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
on
> that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
> cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
>
> I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
> it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
> off of the 0 points list
all
> day & eat nothing else.

Seems a bit imature to me, but then again, if she has always been slim, then she has never had to
diet before. So she doesn't know. Tell her that all foods contain calories - even veggies, so
although she is eating 0 points per serving, she will still be eating the calories - not many, but
still kalories...She will probably lose weight very fast. And she can combine it with dietary shakes
based on water and still lose about 10 lbs in one month. But what on earth will she do afterwards?
It is a scientific fact that if you lose weight on crash diets that are far from normal eating
patterns the weight comes off quickly, but it will pound on quickly when she starts eating normally
again... She can easily lose 5 lbs in one month by exercising and eating approx. 1500 kcalories a
day (depending on her current weight and age). And it will still be healthy. Once she reaches
goalweight she should aim for the amount of calories needed to maintain - which is the basic
metabolism plus lifestyle physical activities...

quiet snickering at Joyce's evil grin, Lee
news:[email protected]...
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a friend who's very thin to begin with and she's all upset because she gained 5 lbs over
> >the holidays. She asked me for the 0 point food
list
> >so I gave it to her. Then she emailed me "If I eat one cup of each food
on
> >that 0 point list all at the same time is it still 0 points??? ( ie: broccoli, green beans,
> >cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots)
>
> Not sure if I will explain this very well, but maybe you could take this
approach
> with her. WW is based on calories, as is any other weightloss program.
Losing
> weight requires eating less calories than you expend ... period. Take the
calorie
> content for each vegetable, add them together, then figure out the
points - in the
> manner you would for figuring out the points for a casserole. I'd also
tell her
> she has to add a bit of common sense to the program to. If she eats that
entire
> list of veggies, she is probably gonna be so danged uncomfortable and
running to
> the potty - from overdosing on the fiber. <G> Especially if her system is
NOT
> used to it. Then again, it might just be fun to see. <evil grin>
>

> >I still have to give her an answer....but my first responce would be "Yes it's still 0 points but
> >it depends on how many points your salad dressing is." But I know her & she thinks she can live
> >off of the 0 points list
all