I need some advice on fixing my bike after I got hit by a car.

Steve Knight

Guest
My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy commuting
20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts even.
But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may be
able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new Chris
king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front wheel
needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel needs
trued.
So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real light
fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube is fine
for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded it
would save me 125. though.
Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get a
good brand?
I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard for me.
If I don't spend so much I can do it.
my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option that
will save a lot of money.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

> My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
> medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy
> commuting
> 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
> don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
> scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts
> even.
> But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may
> be
> able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new
> Chris
> king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front
> wheel
> needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel
> needs
> trued.

etc etc

I'd be concerned about how much impact your frame took. If it was enough to
bend your fork, I wouldn't trust that your frame is the same strength now
that it was prior to the accident. You shouldn't be worrying about the cost
of a replacement fork, but rather what it would cost to replace your
frameset/entire bike.

Regarding the medical aspects of your crash, if you had any head impact at
all, hopefully you went to see a doctor. It's essential that you have
everything documented, especially since the costs involved may exceed what
the "nice" person is willing to pay. There are reasons insurance is a
requirement to drive a car, and you're incident is one of them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
> medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy
> commuting
> 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
> don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
> scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts
> even.
> But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may
> be
> able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new
> Chris
> king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front
> wheel
> needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel
> needs
> trued.
> So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real
> light
> fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube
> is fine
> for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded
> it
> would save me 125. though.
> Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get
> good brand?
> I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard
> for me.
> If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option
> that
> will save a lot of money.
>
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Steve Knight said...

> My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
> medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy commuting
> 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
> don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
> scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts even.
> But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may be
> able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new Chris
> king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front wheel
> needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel needs
> trued.
> So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real light
> fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube is fine
> for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded it
> would save me 125. though.
> Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get a
> good brand?
> I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard for me.
> If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option that
> will save a lot of money.

You were hit by a car and your bike is trashed and you didn't suffer any
injuries? That would be very unusual. Did the person have insurance? If
so, why aren't they in on this? I was t-boned by a nice lady a little
over six weeks ago, and I have hit the $5000 mark in medical bills. The
insurance company repaid me every dime I paid for a new, four day old
$2000 bike. I just had to get estimates, and they couldn't get the check
to me fast enough. I didn't think much of my injuries for about the
first week, then I started feeling like an old man. Left elbow is stiff
and all but useless, nagging shoulder and neck pain along with it. Any
amount of physical activity sets it off, like riding a bike, but part of
the therapy is to stay as active as possible.

Your bike is totalled and I'm not sure why you are making all of this
your problem. The frame and other seemingly undamaged parts are suspect,
but since the frame is steel, maybe you can trust it as long as there
isn't any evidence of damage. If the driver had insurance, I think it
should be used. Her rates may go up, but that is the price you pay for
screwing up and hitting somebody. She should thank her lucky stars it
wasn't in fact much worse.

But if you are truly uninjured (odd, but not impossible), and the bike
is the only thing to worry about, then you can still get steel threaded
steerer forks for bikes like yours. Gary Hobbs at www.gvhbikes.com deals
in a lot of Italian made steel frames and may be able to sell you one or
point you in the right direction. The $740 quote seems on the high side
to me. An all carbon Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork is about $350 and a King
headset is about $115. $750 could possibly buy a complete bike more or
less as good as the one you have. Maybe you should take the opportunity
to just buy a bike that is more suited to you, since you seemed to think
it was a poor match for your size an purposes.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
>medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy commuting
>20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
>don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
>scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts even.
>But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may be
>able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new

Chris
>king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front

wheel
>needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel needs
>trued.
> So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real light
>fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube is

fine
>for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded it
>would save me 125. though.
> Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get a
>good brand?
>I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard for

me.
>If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option that
>will save a lot of money.

Just take your bike to the bike shop and tell them you want every thing that
is damaged replaced with the same part. Then send the bill to the idiot that
hit you. You shouldn't be so worried about price since someone else is paying.
------------
Alex

>I'd be concerned about how much impact your frame took. If it was enough to
>bend your fork, I wouldn't trust that your frame is the same strength now
>that it was prior to the accident. You shouldn't be worrying about the cost
>of a replacement fork, but rather what it would cost to replace your
>frameset/entire bike.

my mechanic checked out the bike thoroughly. we hit at a slow speed and I did
not even get road rash. She hit me and the front wheel.

>Regarding the medical aspects of your crash, if you had any head impact at
>all, hopefully you went to see a doctor.

my leg got bunged up some but not so bad it needed medical attention. my helmet
saved my head though. bounced me head right off the pavement. got a scrape on my
chin and a busted helmet.

--

Steve Knight wrote:

> my helmet saved my head though. bounced me head right off the
> pavement. got a scrape on my chin and a busted helmet.

Here we go...

Bill "can we ban Bill Z., Tom, Just..Guy and the others from just this
thread?" S.

>You were hit by a car and your bike is trashed and you didn't suffer any
>injuries? That would be very unusual. Did the person have insurance?

I got my leg hurt a bit but not enough to need a doctor. a few cuts on the
inside of my leg where it bent the front derailler.
she does have insurance and I am working out how to get the bike fixed.

>Your bike is totalled and I'm not sure why you are making all of this
>your problem. The frame and other seemingly undamaged parts are suspect,
>but since the frame is steel, maybe you can trust it as long as there
>isn't any evidence of damage.

yes the frame was totally inspected. I made sure he checked everything. it's a
really good frame (sure glad it is steel)

If the driver had insurance, I think it
>should be used. Her rates may go up, but that is the price you pay for
>screwing up and hitting somebody. She should thank her lucky stars it
>wasn't in fact much worse.

I was hoping to skip the insurance. she is a very nice person that worried a
lot about me took me home afterwards and everything. can't beat that in this day
and age.

>But if you are truly uninjured (odd, but not impossible), and the bike
>is the only thing to worry about, then you can still get steel threaded
>steerer forks for bikes like yours. Gary Hobbs at www.gvhbikes.com deals
>in a lot of Italian made steel frames and may be able to sell you one or
>point you in the right direction. The $740 quote seems on the high side
>to me. An all carbon Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork is about $350 and a King
>headset is about $115.

need a new stem too new front wheel and all of the work. it was an estimate. the
mechanic is very good and he is a great guy that is always just giving me little
things. he wants you to be happy above all.

$750 could possibly buy a complete bike more or
>less as good as the one you have. Maybe you should take the opportunity
>to just buy a bike that is more suited to you, since you seemed to think
>it was a poor match for your size an purposes.

but it would not be as nice of a bike though.
http://www.racycles.com/rd/catalog/casati_ellisse_genius_2038691.htm
though I have different components and had the original fork.
the bike has campy dropouts and some nice frame details.
my only real complaint is the bike is a bit harsh on rough roads and I have to
carry a backpack since you can't attach anything too it. but it is a fun bike to
ride.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

>> my helmet saved my head though. bounced me head right off the
>> pavement. got a scrape on my chin and a busted helmet.

> Here we go...

No we don't. The only real issue here is that somebody believes they took a
significant header and didn't seek medical advice. That puts the state of
his thinking into question, thus any remarks regarding the amount a helmet
may have helped are irrelevant. :>)

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>> my helmet saved my head though. bounced me head right off the
>>> pavement. got a scrape on my chin and a busted helmet.

>> Here we go...

> No we don't. The only real issue here is that somebody believes they
> took a significant header and didn't seek medical advice. That puts
> the state of his thinking into question, thus any remarks regarding
> the amount a helmet may have helped are irrelevant. :>)

Ah, but would he even be ABLE to...

Bill "nah, forget it" S.

Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12 years old with
> medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now 228# guy commuting
> 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything taken care of. I
> don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as mien were all
> scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy dropouts even.
> But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic thinks he may be
> able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon fork and new Chris
> king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem too. The front wheel
> needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the rear wheel needs
> trued.
> So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real light
> fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube is fine
> for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded it
> would save me 125. though.
> Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get a
> good brand?
> I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard for me.
> If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option that
> will save a lot of money.

I would take the bike to someone who knows steel bikes well and have
it checked out carefully. The check should look for integrity, any
hint of bends in any of the tubes, etc. as well as alignment of the
frame.

Next thing, *DO NOT* have the fork bent back into shape. If the fork
fails, you will have a lot of medical needs after that. A bent fork
is compromised; get a new one. Not a place to save money; the dental
bills after a face plant when the fork fails will be much more than a
complete new bike. Believe me - voice of experience.

Now, for the new fork find a good framebuilder and have one made,
They can do a n appropriately configured steel fork with 1" threaded
steerer to replace the one that has been damaged. A good custom
built fork will run probably $200-300 or so. A few years ago you
could find lots of used ones, as a lot of folks rushed to replace
theirs but I do not see many around these days. If you want to save
$$$, look around for a used fork with the proper geometry, one that
has not been damaged in a crash.

- rick

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Knight said...
>
> > My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12

years old with
> > medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now

228# guy commuting
> > 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> > The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything

taken care of. I
> > don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as

mien were all
> > scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> > Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy

dropouts even.
> > But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic

thinks he may be
> > able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon

fork and new Chris
> > king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem

too. The front wheel
> > needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the

rear wheel needs
> > trued.
> > So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried

about a real light
> > fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel

steerer tube is fine
> > for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be

1" threaded it
> > would save me 125. though.
> > Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as

long as I get a
> > good brand?
> > I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are

pretty hard for me.
> > If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> > my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so

that's an option that
> > will save a lot of money.

> You were hit by a car and your bike is trashed and you didn't

suffer any
> injuries? That would be very unusual. Did the person have

insurance? If
> so, why aren't they in on this? I was t-boned by a nice lady a

little
> over six weeks ago, and I have hit the $5000 mark in medical

bills. The
> insurance company repaid me every dime I paid for a new, four

day old
> $2000 bike. I just had to get estimates, and they couldn't get

the check
> to me fast enough. I didn't think much of my injuries for about

the
> first week, then I started feeling like an old man. Left elbow

is stiff
> and all but useless, nagging shoulder and neck pain along with

it. Any
> amount of physical activity sets it off, like riding a bike,

but part of
> the therapy is to stay as active as possible.

D'oh, get off it. If he is not hurt, he is not hurt. All of
this hand-wringing about possible injuries is totally
unnecessary. Latent injuries that are serious manifest in a
fairly brief period of time -- usually in a day or three. It is
not only possible, but in fact common to trash a bicycle and walk
away with nothing more than road rash. I have done it a number
of times. It is true that I feel like an old man now, but I am
one.

If the frame is not bent, get a threaded CF fork. Kestrel makes
one, and so do Easton and Profile. No need to go threadless.
If you do go threadless, there are a lot of budget CF forks (or
closeouts) for about $100. Nashbar is selling a threadless
Kestrel for for $79. Put that with a Cane Creek S2, a $20 stem
and viola, threadless for under $125. I would check the headset
for denting and get my wheel fixed. The rest of your parts
should be fine if they look fine. I would make sure, however,
that the frame is not buckled at the down tube. If the fork
yeilded, it is likely the frame did too. Man, I told you it was
dicey riding on the eastside. No shoulders and freaky
eople. -- Jay Beattie.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:50:11 GMT, Steve Knight
<[email protected]> wrote:

> So I am debating on what to get. I am not super worried about a real light
>fork. I want a good quality fork is all? Aluminum or steel steerer tube is fine
>for me. I don't know if I could get a good one that would be 1" threaded it
>would save me 125. though.
> Is there much difference between a 200.00 and 40.00 fork as long as I get a
>good brand?

The cheaper fork is going to be heavier, but that's probably about it.
Carbon forks *may* be more flexible, and some people make claims for
their ability to absorb shocks...but I'm not convinced that that a
fork which can flex that much would be a good idea.

>I have been debating on making it a triple as some hills are pretty hard for me.
>If I don't spend so much I can do it.
> my mechanic may be able to bend the forks back too. so that's an option that
>will save a lot of money.

Trying to straighten the forks is, in my opinion, a really bad idea.
If they're bent enough to notice, they're bent too much to rely on.

If it was me, I'd shop for a steel fork, or maybe aluminum. The
weight saving from carbon is probably not worth the cost in your case,
from what I hear you saying, and the durability of the carbon might
not be as good as the steel or aluminum, though that's very hard to
predict.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> > My bike is a nice higher end Italian racing frame about 12

years old with
> > medium quality mixed components. It's a odd bike for a now

228# guy
> > commuting
> > 20 miles a day on but it's what I have.
> > The lady that hit me is really nice and wants everything

taken care of. I
> > don't need medical just my bike fixed. And new glass lens as

mien were all
> > scratched up. She bought me a helmet already.
> > Now my bike had a really nice steel matching fork with campy

dropouts
> > even.
> > But of course the fork is what got it the worst. My mechanic

thinks he may
> > be
> > able to bend them back. But quoted me 740.00 for a new carbon

fork and new
> > Chris
> > king headset since mine is a 1" threaded. Need a new stem

too. The front
> > wheel
> > needs a new rim (man it was only a few months old) and the

rear wheel
> > needs
> > trued.

> etc etc
>
> I'd be concerned about how much impact your frame took. If it

was enough to
> bend your fork, I wouldn't trust that your frame is the same

strength now
> that it was prior to the accident. You shouldn't be worrying

about the cost
> of a replacement fork, but rather what it would cost to replace

your
> frameset/entire bike.
>
> Regarding the medical aspects of your crash, if you had any

head impact at
> all, hopefully you went to see a doctor. It's essential that

you have
> everything documented, especially since the costs involved may

exceed what
> the "nice" person is willing to pay. There are reasons

insurance is a
> requirement to drive a car, and you're incident is one of them.

Yah, but don't go to an emergency room after a minor accident
unless you want to sit around all day only to have someone stick
a flashlight in your eyes, look in your ears and tell you that
you are O.K. A spectacular waste of time if you have no LOC, no
nausea, double vision, headache, bleeding etc. Just follow up
with your family physician if necessary. BTW, if "any head
impact" were the sin qua non of going to a doctor, I would have
spent most of my first ski season in an ER (it's icy up here).
When I sliced my head as a kid, my mother just tied the hair
together on either side of the wound. A real time saver -- and
my God, I am still alive. I do not recommend prarie home
treatment for everything, but I think society has gotten too into
the mode of running off to a doctor for every bump or bruise. --
Jay Beattie.

Jay Beattie said...

> D'oh, get off it. If he is not hurt, he is not hurt. All of
> this hand-wringing about possible injuries is totally
> unnecessary. Latent injuries that are serious manifest in a
> fairly brief period of time -- usually in a day or three. It is
> not only possible, but in fact common to trash a bicycle and walk
> away with nothing more than road rash. I have done it a number
> of times. It is true that I feel like an old man now, but I am
> one.

Well, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. My injuries got
progressively worse over more than a week, and that is the way it
usually goes. You can look back at the posts I made at the time of my
accident. I didn't think much of my injuries either at first, and I was
warned against making light of them, and it turns out that was very good
advice. He can play Mr. Nice Guy, and you can play Mr. Tough Guy if you
want, but I just wanted him to think twice before he made some other
person's colossal mistake his problem, because he may be paying for this
out of his own pocket in the future if things aren't as good as he
thinks they are. Being hit by a car is very different from falling off
your bike. I've done the latter many, many times over many years and
have the scars to prove it. But what I have now is an entirely different
type of injury.

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You were hit by a car and your bike is trashed and you didn't suffer any
> injuries? That would be very unusual. Did the person have insurance? If
> so, why aren't they in on this? I was t-boned by a nice lady a little
> over six weeks ago, and I have hit the $5000 mark in medical bills.

They add up fast. When I was hit 2.5 years ago the ER bill was
something like $18K. Add to that wrist surgery, months of followup,
and months of physical therapy. Then the thousands for the dental
work, too. 2.5 months ago I was hit by a wrong way cyclist on a
connector path; bills for that have been several thousand so far.
Ain't cheap.

- rick

Jay Beattie said...

> When I sliced my head as a kid, my mother just tied the hair
> together on either side of the wound. A real time saver -- and
> my God, I am still alive.

Holy ****, you are a tough guy. Your mom makes my lackadaisical parents
look like Ward and June Cleaver. Of course the unlucky bastards who died
of tetanus aren't around to refute your point of view.

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> writes:

> When I sliced my head as a kid, my mother just tied the hair
> together on either side of the wound. A real time saver -- and
> my God, I am still alive.

That is actually a valid medical technique with a name, and that name
is... wait for it... Hair Apposition Technique or HAT. I **** you not.
It has been studied and is at least as good as staples or sutures.
Probably doesn't get used as much as it should.

--
Ah, but the strawberries! That's where I had them.

"Jim Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > When I sliced my head as a kid, my mother just tied the hair
> > together on either side of the wound. A real time saver --

and
> > my God, I am still alive.

> That is actually a valid medical technique with a name, and

that name
> is... wait for it... Hair Apposition Technique or HAT. I ****

you not.
> It has been studied and is at least as good as staples or

sutures.
> Probably doesn't get used as much as it should.

You have to have the right type and amount of hair, though. My
son cut his head (about two stitches worth), and I couldn't get
the hair to stay tied. It was too short and fine. We just
compressed it, and it healed perfectly. And for the fearful,
note that he had a tetanus booster less than two years earlier
after he got about 100 teeny weeny stitches (in three layers) to
close a forehead wound. The moral of the story for a good parent
or is to always ask for the plastic surgeon if your child gets a
nasty facial laceration. The same rule applies to spouses (and
applied to my spouse after a nasty racing crash -- money well
spent). -- Jay Beattie.

>Here we go...

well it's true helmet hit the ground not my head. I have cracked my head open
twice as a kid. it's no fun. no way without the helmet I would have been ok.
though I have no idea how I just hit my chin and helmet and not my nose.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

>No we don't. The only real issue here is that somebody believes they took a
>significant header and didn't seek medical advice.

I took a belly flop really atleast I think I did (G) hell the boo boo on my chin
did not even hurt. only the helmet was DOA.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes