i need to figure out what i need to wear during the winter

oznation

Aug 20, 2004
i live in southwest ohio and it gets cold here and its starting already so i have only rode for a couple weeks and need to get my winter gear ready so what do i need>?

Same here Oz, living in Central OH. This is my first fall riding (lol, just picked it up again after a 20 year hiatus). I'm trying to decide if the leg and arm warmers I see will do the trick. Anybody use these with their regular jersey and shorts? Or would we be better off with long sleeve Jersey and full length tights? Are you wearing undershirts? like DeFeet or some other wicking type t-shirt? Do the shoe covers really work? I don't plan to ride in freezing weather, so will the toe only cover be enough? We could spend a small fortune on all this gear, just trying to get a feel for what works for the general population!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

PixelPusher said:
Same here Oz, living in Central OH. This is my first fall riding (lol, just picked it up again after a 20 year hiatus). I'm trying to decide if the leg and arm warmers I see will do the trick. Anybody use these with their regular jersey and shorts? Or would we be better off with long sleeve Jersey and full length tights? Are you wearing undershirts? like DeFeet or some other wicking type t-shirt? Do the shoe covers really work? I don't plan to ride in freezing weather, so will the toe only cover be enough? We could spend a small fortune on all this gear, just trying to get a feel for what works for the general population!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
The arm and leg warmers are good if the temp gets warmer,and you can pull them off.Then you need a place to put them.I got mine free as 'pickups'. Longs sleeves and tights work for me along with a jacket that cuts the wind. Toe covers work for moderate temps,but booties are better for more cold and wet stuff. I don't feel like dressing like an eskimo to ride a bike,so I do other stuff,if the weather isn't to my liking. And I don't mean beer,pizza and couch time.