I need to GAIN some weight . . .

anonimo

Dec 19, 2009
OK, now for something a little different . . .
I'm a 42 yr. old, male, "fast" recreational cyclist (about 6,000 miles/yr.),
6'2", currently down to 158 lbs. My scale puts my fat at about 2% - 6% (yes, I know those things aren't very accurate). I don't race, but I do an "uphill time-trial" to calculate my power output. I definitely feel and ride better -- and even climb faster -- on those rare occasions when I'm a bit heavier, perhaps 165-170 lbs. (My power output on the climb is at least 10% higher then.) I know its supposed to be "calories in vs. calories out," but all that happens when I eat more is more frequent bowel movements. (Every now and then my weight goes up or down for no apparent reason -- like when I gain 10 pounds on an 80 mile/day tour, or lose 10 pounds over the winter when using the indoor trainer only a few hours a week.) Is there any way to gain the extra pounds -- and keep them on -- that I need? People say I look "too skinny" -- the same people who are shocked at how much food I can devour! I've tried digestive enzymes and probiotics to no avail. (I know it doesn't help that I'm a mailman who has to walk over 10 miles/day!) I know bodybuilders use protein, but I checked my intake once, and was shocked to discover I already consume about 220 - 250 grams of it a day, WAY more than recommended for my weight. (My caloric intake is about 3,500 - 5,500/day.) Any ideas . . . or do I just have to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet every night?

Paul A(lpe d' Huez) Kossa

What about weight training? Hit the weights twice per week with 2 days in between training days.
Just a simple mass program will suffice, 5X5, 10X3, etc....
Day 1. Squats - Bench Press - Military Press
Day 2. Deadlift - Dips - Push Press

Heavy weights Low reps.

If you need to gain weight it should be muscle after all.

Wlfdg said:
What about weight training? Hit the weights twice per week with 2 days in between training days.
Just a simple mass program will suffice, 5X5, 10X3, etc....
Day 1. Squats - Bench Press - Military Press
Day 2. Deadlift - Dips - Push Press

Heavy weights Low reps.

If you need to gain weight it should be muscle after all.
That´s correct. I was able to gain 10 lbs in a year with weightlifting. Three times a week with heavy weights. More gym in winter and spring, after that back to basics.

I really doubt you intake anywhere close to 200+ grams of proteins... that is just astronomical number... but anyways with that aside

Easy way to gain weight would be a weight gainer.... any nutrition store has these.. its basically a protein powder shake but with a much higher calorie count... You already burn a lot of calories... so this will not be a problem. Drink one of those in between meals, so:

breakfast
weight gainer milk shake
lunch
weight gainer milk shake
dinner....

and do as the posts above me say... heavy weight lifting low reps. Muscle mass weighs more than fat, but you want to try and put it in places you wont burn it up.. ie: arms, chest, back.

Bastiani said:
I really doubt you intake anywhere close to 200+ grams of proteins... that is just astronomical number... but anyways with that aside
I eat over 300g. of protein a day. What is so astronomical about 200g.?

Easy way to gain weight would be a weight gainer.... any nutrition store has these.. its basically a protein powder shake but with a much higher calorie count... You already burn a lot of calories... so this will not be a problem. Drink one of those in between meals, so:

breakfast
weight gainer milk shake
lunch
weight gainer milk shake
dinner....
Weight gainer shakes without weight training will just make you fat.

and do as the posts above me say... heavy weight lifting low reps. Muscle mass weighs more than fat, but you want to try and put it in places you wont burn it up.. ie: arms, chest, back.
The body doesn't specifically catabolize muscle tissue from areas of use. The SAID Principle does dictate adaptation of use.

Wlfdg:

Not to get in an argument with you... just curious...

how are you guys eating 300+ g of protein a day?

Bastiani said:
Wlfdg:

Not to get in an argument with you... just curious...

how are you guys eating 300+ g of protein a day?
Lots of meat, poultry, fish and eggs. I eat meat, poultry and fish by the pounds everyday. I'm not a skinny cyclist. I'm 6'1.75", 235lbs. @ 6% bodyfat. I'm a recreational Olympic weightlifter that loves endurance activities.

Wlfdg said:
Lots of meat, poultry, fish and eggs. I eat meat, poultry and fish by the pounds everyday. I'm not a skinny cyclist. I'm 6'1.75", 235lbs. @ 6% bodyfat. I'm a recreational Olympic weightlifter that loves endurance activities.

I say... holy mother of protein dude...that is amazing... how long was the process to be able to tolerate those levels of protein?

Bastiani said:
I say... holy mother of protein dude...that is amazing... how long was the process to be able to tolerate those levels of protein?
I've been increasing my protein intake with my lean body mass increases. I've been lifting weights in one form or another for over 30yrs.

Bastiani said:

I'm amazed too, Wlfdg! That's a lot of protein and at 235 lbs 6% bodyfat...sounds like you could give Superman a run for his money.

LOL, I think I'm doing good if I consume 25 grams of protein per meal...

64Paramount said:
I'm amazed too, Wlfdg! That's a lot of protein and at 235 lbs 6% bodyfat...sounds like you could give Superman a run for his money.

LOL, I think I'm doing good if I consume 25 grams of protein per meal...
What are your body comp stats? training regiment? training goals?

If you are 185lb. endurance athlete you really only need about 130g. of protein a day.

I eat over 225g. of fat and under 150g. of carbs a day.

Wlfdg said:
What are your body comp stats? training regiment? training goals?

If you are 185lb. endurance athlete you really only need about 130g. of protein a day.

I eat over 225g. of fat and under 150g. of carbs a day.

I'm not an athlete, I'm just a 51 year old desk jockey that cycles because I enjoy it and does a little weight lifting for overall health and fitness.

I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 159lbs. It's been several years since I had a body fat measurement done, but I'm sure my bodyfat is much much higher than yours is.

My average protein intake per day is around 80g. I eat less than 20g of fat per day (most of the time much less). Carbs are harder for me to put a number on, as I'm not sure how to measure the amount in a fist sized portion of raw carrots for example.

Most of my daily carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and whole wheat bread.

I'm not training for anything, I just want to be healthy, feel good, and have some fun.

I have tremendous respect for people that have the dedication to become athletes and I'm not one of them.

64Paramount said:
I'm not an athlete, I'm just a 51 year old desk jockey that cycles because I enjoy it and does a little weight lifting for overall health and fitness.

I'm not training for anything, I just want to be healthy, feel good, and have some fun.
I'd say this right here puts you head and shoulders above most of your peers. :D

Wlfdg said:
I'd say this right here puts you head and shoulders above most of your peers. :D

I don't know about that, but......

If we ever put together a game of "full contact biking" around here, I want you and Tony Z on my team!

:cool:

64Paramount said:
I don't know about that, but......

If we ever put together a game of "full contact biking" around here, I want you and Tony Z on my team!

:cool:
Remember, most people hate to exercise.

Hmm "full contact biking" huh? :confused: Well o.k., but we have to play in Idaho and anyone that is from high altitude is on our team. ;)

Wlfdg said:

I'm 30 and have been very active in sports pretty much my whole life. The past couple years i've moved from weightlifting for fun to more serious competitive type powerlifting focusing on increasing my squat/deadlift/bench. With that being said i've put on some size. The heaviest I got was 215lbs at 5'11" pulling some pretty heavy weight. Consuming pretty much the same amount of grams of protien you have been. I've left the powerlifting scene to get in better shape, not gonna lie powerlifters are very strong but cant run, bike, or do any kind of long distance excersise for nothing. For the past 6 months or so i've been doing a lot of crossfit from mountain athlete and military athlete.com. I'm pretty much in the best shape of my life, well since wrestling in highschool, and have now jumped into road cycling and loving it.

I've been rambling...sorry...Here's my question though...Am I too heavy right now for road biking? I see you wrote you're close to 6'2" at 235 and cycling just fine. Have you been biking for a long time? How long does it take to get my thighs in shape to bike? I think I am just getting impatient or something :confused: Do I need to cut some weight? Dieting and cutting weight is not science to me, so I can do it if I need to get lighter to be a good road biker. Thanks for any advice...

ScottCR1TeaM said:
I've been rambling...sorry...Here's my question though...Am I too heavy right now for road biking? I see you wrote you're close to 6'2" at 235 and cycling just fine. Have you been biking for a long time? How long does it take to get my thighs in shape to bike? I think I am just getting impatient or something :confused: Do I need to cut some weight? Dieting and cutting weight is not science to me, so I can do it if I need to get lighter to be a good road biker. Thanks for any advice...
I've been biking for years and years. Just for the pure joy of it. I ride road, mountain, downhill and some freeride (nothing too big).

No you aren't too heavy for road biking. You're a Clydesdale. Welcome to the club.

Training adaptation is different for everyone. Just ride and enjoy yourself. Push on the days you feel like pushing. Just spin on the days you feel like spinning. It'll come.

For getting lean I can not highly recommend The Paleo Diet highly enough.
http://www.thepaleodiet.com

What is your definition of "a good biker"?

To the OP- Sorry we hijacked your thread. :eek:

Wlfdg said:
I've been biking for years and years. Just for the pure joy of it. I ride road, mountain, downhill and some freeride (nothing too big).

No you aren't too heavy for road biking. You're a Clydesdale. Welcome to the club.

Training adaptation is different for everyone. Just ride and enjoy yourself. Push on the days you feel like pushing. Just spin on the days you feel like spinning. It'll come.

For getting lean I can not highly recommend The Paleo Diet highly enough.
http://www.thepaleodiet.com

What is your definition of "a good biker"?

To the OP- Sorry we hijacked your thread. :eek:

I guess what I meant by "good biker" for myself being that I can hop on the bike and ride for more than 20 miles without my legs feeling they're are going to fall off.

Thanks for the input lol, I found some pretty good stuff about Clydesdale bikers. Also i've looked into the "cave man" diet quite a bit before. I think it's a great looking diet, but nothing i have implemented. To be honest, I just eat but eat healthy....if that makes any sense lol.