I need to gett he feel of a hill but....

oznation

Aug 20, 2004
i live in southern ohio (huge farming country where i live) the ground around here is very flat and i want to do some hills is there anyway i can kinda creat a hils on a trainer or something?

oznation said:
i live in southern ohio (huge farming country where i live) the ground around here is very flat and i want to do some hills is there anyway i can kinda creat a hils on a trainer or something?
My suggestion is FIND the hills, it may be tough, but they are there. I live in Nebraska and although hills are few and far between, it is surprising how many good hills one can find even in flat country.
Once you find those hills, make them a staple of your rides. If there is only one such hill, ride it a few times (up/down).
I will agree with the poster who mentioned headwinds, but the only difference is you are not in climbing position when riding into headwinds so the same muscles aren't really worked. But the difficulty is comparable (sometimes headwinds are tougher than all but the toughest hills).

oznation said:

Flatlander!! lol

oznation said:
I live in Southern Indiana, neighbor! I wish I had some of your flats here. The word "Flat" does not even exist in my vocabulary. My problem is the exact opposite of yours!

I agree with a prior poster that you have to find the hills. Put your bike on your bike rack and drive somewhere if you have to. I doubt a trainer can prepare you for the real thing. The trainer can't simulate the mental breakdown you have when you reach your anaerobic threshold and look up and see you are only 1/2 way up the hill!

oznation said:

Agree you've got to get on real hills, a headwind or trainer can't compare to a 10-15% grade for fun. The state just south of you should do the trick nicely.

I used to ride around Lexington; plenty of hills from there and east in KY. good.

The Bluegrass Cycling Club might have a good route or weekend ride you could try with them: http://www.bgcycling.org/