I need to grease my shaft

Jan Sacharuk

Guest
Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said was
fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was fine for
a couple years.

(BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic I
wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
> squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said was
> fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was fine
> for a couple years.
>
> (BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic I
> wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)
>
> JS

You don't need your shaft greased, but you need a good lube job or rebuild. The oil/seals inside the
shock need servicing.
--
Slacker

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
> squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said was
> fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was fine
> for a couple years.
>
> (BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic I
> wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)
>
> JS

Hmmm, a rebuild? OR, just lube it again with the same Teflon spray you lubed it with 9 MONTHS AGO!!!

darsh

> --
> ========================= [email protected] ========================
> Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the
> X-Geek-Code header to see my Geek Code
> "That'll put marzipan in your pieplate, bingo!"
>- BuffyBot, BtVS

> "Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
> > squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said
> > was fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was
> > fine for a couple years.
> >
> > (BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic
> > I wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)
> >
> > JS
>
> Hmmm, a rebuild? OR, just lube it again with the same Teflon spray you lubed it with 9
> MONTHS AGO!!!
>
> darsh

darsh...darsh...darsh, you're supposed to chime in, "Not really worth sending it to Fox to fix, just
buy a Romic!"
--
Slacker

> Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
> squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said was
> fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was fine
> for a couple years.
>
> (BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic I
> wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)
>
> JS

First off make sure it is not one of your eye bushings that is making the noise, because it often
is, and second, soemthing that penetrates like Prolink chain lube would be good and a neoprene shock
cover would probably help it last longer.
--
_________________________

[email protected] says...
> "Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for grease or oil for a fox vanilla coilover shock? Mine is
> > squeaking. The last time I oiled it, it was with a normal teflon chain lube, which my LBS said
> > was fine, but it's back to squeaking again, about 8 or 9 months later. Previous to that, it was
> > fine for a couple years.
> >
> > (BTW, that turn of phrase came about because I wanted to walk into the LBS and tell my mechanic
> > I wanted him to grease my shaft. Yeah, yeah, I'm stuck in the 4th grade. >:)
> >
> > JS
>
> You don't need your shaft greased, but you need a good lube job or rebuild. The oil/seals inside
> the shock need servicing.
> --
> Slacker

Onfortunately this is one of the "take your hand off and put a hole in the wall" variety of non user
serivable units.
--
_________________________

In article <[email protected]>, Slacker wrote:

> darsh...darsh...darsh, you're supposed to chime in, "Not really worth sending it to Fox to fix,
> just buy a Romic!"

Actually, I was thinking about buying a new shock this year anyway. This sounds like a good excuse.
I'll see if I can get one of those Manitou SPVs or a Romic or something. :D

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
"This is a dumb world. In my world, there are people in chains,
and we can ride them like ponies." - Evil Willow, BtVS

In article <[email protected]>, Darsh wrote:
> Hmmm, a rebuild? OR, just lube it again with the same Teflon spray you lubed it with 9
> MONTHS AGO!!!

Yeah, that's my stopgap measure, but I figured that it was probably indicative of some other
problem, possibly requiring a rebuild. I was just wondering if there's a better lube I could
be using. :)

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
"This is a dumb world. In my world, there are people in chains,
and we can ride them like ponies." - Evil Willow, BtVS

Clean it up and lube and don't forget to clean and lube the bushings too.

Fire up MTB 03

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Clean it up and lube and don't forget to clean and lube the bushings too.

Actually, that brings up another question. I know it's not the bushings that are making the noise.
However, they're the teflon impregnated kind of bushings. Is it actually safe to grease them, or
does that degrade the teflon?

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care. Don't think 'cos we're talkin', we're friends."
- 6 Underground, Sneaker Pimps

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> > Clean it up and lube and don't forget to clean and lube the bushings too.
>
> Actually, that brings up another question. I know it's not the bushings that are making the noise.
> However, they're the teflon impregnated kind of bushings. Is it actually safe to grease them, or
> does that degrade the teflon?
>
> JS

It's safe. I can almost guarantee you that there's no Teflon left on the wear areas, even if it was
HardTef'd.

--
Slacker