I need to know what to put on spetzle.

kodi

Guest
Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
I remember is how good the spetzel was.
I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
what type of sauce to put over it.
Can any one help me out?

kodi wrote:

> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

My favorite way of serving spatzle is to layer it
as I cooked it(fresh in batches) with black
pepper, shredded Ementhaler and well caramelized
onions in a casserole dish.
Goomba

"kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

drain and saute in butter ........ Add a little cheese if you want.

Dimitri

kodi wrote:

> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

I like to fry up some diced onion in butter and then toss in the spaetzle.

kodi wrote:

> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

In our household it's usually the sauce made from the drippings off the
pork roast.
If there is no meat involved, then it's either melted butter (and
sometimes cheese) or fried breadcrumbs.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> kodi wrote:
> >
> > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> > what type of sauce to put over it.
> > Can any one help me out?

> In our household it's usually the sauce made from the drippings off the
> pork roast.
> If there is no meat involved, then it's either melted butter (and
> sometimes cheese) or fried breadcrumbs.

Oh yes! Exactly right. Yum!

Charlie

Dog3 wrote:
> "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and

all
> > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no

idea
> > what type of sauce to put over it.
> > Can any one help me out?
> >

> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make

some.
> See what you've done ;)
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
> violence.
> -- Hebrew proverb

Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

Dog3 wrote:

> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make some.
> See what you've done ;)
>
> Michael

Got a spatzle maker? I have a few extra. I could
send one your way (gratis, of course). I hate to
see it go to waste and bought a few when I lived
in Germany.
Goomba

On Fri 11 Mar 2005 01:54:12p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

I almost always make spaetzle when I make chicken or veal paprikash. The
gravy/sauce is heavenly over the dumplings.

As a side dish alone, I would make browned butter, perhaps with a bit of
onion in it, and toss the spaetzle in it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Fri 11 Mar 2005 08:51:03p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 wrote:
>> "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and
>> > all I remember is how good the spetzel was.
>> > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no
>> > idea what type of sauce to put over it.
>> > Can any one help me out?
>> >

>> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make
>> some. See what you've done ;)
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> --
>> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
>> violence.
>> -- Hebrew proverb

> Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
> have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
> But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
> Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
> Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

IINM, the fried bread crumbs is a Hungarian influence.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Fri 11 Mar 2005 09:10:32p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 wrote:
>
>> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make some.
>> See what you've done ;)
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Got a spatzle maker? I have a few extra. I could
> send one your way (gratis, of course). I hate to
> see it go to waste and bought a few when I lived
> in Germany.
> Goomba

Could I buy one from you, Goomba? Mine is in pitiful condition and probably
won't last more than another couple of uses. I've tried to repair it, but it
won't stay together.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

In article <[email protected]>,
"kodi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
> I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
> what type of sauce to put over it.
> Can any one help me out?

First off, if you got it in a box, it's not going to taste anything like
like what you remember (some would say it's not going to be worth the
effort to cook it). Make spaetzle from scratch; it's no more difficult
than pancakes.

This is our improvisation from a magnificent dish served at "Knoll's
Black Forest Inn" in Los Angeles. This is not as good as theirs (I wish
I had their recipe), but it's very nice, and the kids love it:

While making the spaetzle, sautee some little cubes of Black Forest or
other good ham until lightly brown. Grate a goodly amount of a soft
cheese like Fontina.

When the spaetzle are all done, crank up the heat under the skillet with
the ham, and dump the spaetzle in. Toss and stir until the spaetzle have
toasty brown spots on them. Add the cheese and stir to mix. Let the
cheese melt and brown a bit if you like it that way (we do).

Serve quickly, while hot. Yum.

Isaac

i:ve always enjoyed papricas (veal or chicken) over spetzle!

Again, thanks to everyone. I can't wait to have my meal of spetzel!

I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
please?

kodi wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
> > "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >
> > > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and

> all
> > > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
> > > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no

> idea
> > > what type of sauce to put over it.
> > > Can any one help me out?
> > >

> > Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make

> some.
> > See what you've done ;)
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > --
> > Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
> > violence.
> > -- Hebrew proverb

> Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
> have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
> But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
> Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
> Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

Common topping for vegetables, mashed potatoes or sauerkraut.

Heat oil or butter or a mix of the two, add the dried breadcrumbs and
fry until a nice brown. They burn easily so stay alert :)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 11 Mar 2005 08:51:03p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Dog3 wrote:
> >> "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make
> >> some. See what you've done ;)
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> --
> >> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
> >> violence.
> >> -- Hebrew proverb

> > Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
> > have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
> > But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
> > Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
> > Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

> IINM, the fried bread crumbs is a Hungarian influence.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Is it? No one in our family is Hungarian though. My Swiss German
grandmother learnt it from her mother etc etc. It's common enough in
German cooking in some regions.

Jude wrote:

> I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
> please?

From 'The Art of German Cooking' (I've never used this recipe as we
eyeball it but sounds right)

Spatzle

2 1/2 C sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs beaten
1/2 C water, as needed

Combine flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the center and add the
eggs and enough water to make a stiff dough. Let stand for 30 minutes.

Heat a kettle of salted water to boiling and cut off thin slivers of
dough into the water.
(or use a Spatzle maker). Spatzle will rise to the surface when cooked,
remove and drain.

(you'll need to experiment with the texture of the dough if using the
Spatzle maker)

On Sat 12 Mar 2005 12:33:40p, Jude wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
> please?

I've made this recipe from JOC many times. There are others, some
including potato. All good. This one is very basic and I've never had a
failure.

Spaetzle

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
(a small grating of nutmeg) (optional, I leave this out)

Beat these ingredients well. Drop small bits of the batter from a spoon
into simmering salted water or stock, or put the batter through a colander
or a sliding cutter. Spaetzle should be light and delicate. Try out a
sample and if it is too heavy, add water to the batter. Simmer them until
they are done and float to the top. Drain them, place them in a dish and
toss with browned butter or browned bread crumbs.

Note: If using later, after draining, cover with cold water. Drain
thoroughly and rewarm with butter in large pan, stirring gently.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Could I buy one from you, Goomba? Mine is in pitiful condition and probably
> won't last more than another couple of uses. I've tried to repair it, but it
> won't stay together.

Lemme find my second spare and if/when I do its
all yours!
I'll let you know when I find it. I've packed up
stuff over the years. I bought four of them
before moving back from Germany years ago.
I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you.
Goomba :)