I need to know what to put on spetzle.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by kodi, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. kodi

    kodi Guest

    Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    what type of sauce to put over it.
    Can any one help me out?

    Tags:

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    kodi wrote:

    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    My favorite way of serving spatzle is to layer it
    as I cooked it(fresh in batches) with black
    pepper, shredded Ementhaler and well caramelized
    onions in a casserole dish.
    Goomba

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    drain and saute in butter ........ Add a little cheese if you want.

    Dimitri

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    kodi wrote:

    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    I like to fry up some diced onion in butter and then toss in the spaetzle.

  5. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    kodi wrote:

    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    In our household it's usually the sauce made from the drippings off the
    pork roast.
    If there is no meat involved, then it's either melted butter (and
    sometimes cheese) or fried breadcrumbs.

  6. "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > kodi wrote:
    > >
    > > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > > Can any one help me out?

    > In our household it's usually the sauce made from the drippings off the
    > pork roast.
    > If there is no meat involved, then it's either melted butter (and
    > sometimes cheese) or fried breadcrumbs.

    Oh yes! Exactly right. Yum!

    Charlie

  7. kodi

    kodi Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and

    all
    > > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no

    idea
    > > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > > Can any one help me out?
    > >

    > Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make

    some.
    > See what you've done ;)
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > --
    > Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
    > violence.
    > -- Hebrew proverb

    Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
    have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
    But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
    Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
    Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

  8. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make some.
    > See what you've done ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Got a spatzle maker? I have a few extra. I could
    send one your way (gratis, of course). I hate to
    see it go to waste and bought a few when I lived
    in Germany.
    Goomba

  9. On Fri 11 Mar 2005 01:54:12p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    I almost always make spaetzle when I make chicken or veal paprikash. The
    gravy/sauce is heavenly over the dumplings.

    As a side dish alone, I would make browned butter, perhaps with a bit of
    onion in it, and toss the spaetzle in it.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  10. On Fri 11 Mar 2005 08:51:03p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    >> "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and
    >> > all I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    >> > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no
    >> > idea what type of sauce to put over it.
    >> > Can any one help me out?
    >> >

    >> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make
    >> some. See what you've done ;)
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> --
    >> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
    >> violence.
    >> -- Hebrew proverb

    > Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
    > have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
    > But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
    > Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
    > Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

    IINM, the fried bread crumbs is a Hungarian influence.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  11. On Fri 11 Mar 2005 09:10:32p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    >
    >> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make some.
    >> See what you've done ;)
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Got a spatzle maker? I have a few extra. I could
    > send one your way (gratis, of course). I hate to
    > see it go to waste and bought a few when I lived
    > in Germany.
    > Goomba

    Could I buy one from you, Goomba? Mine is in pitiful condition and probably
    won't last more than another couple of uses. I've tried to repair it, but it
    won't stay together.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and all
    > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no idea
    > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > Can any one help me out?

    First off, if you got it in a box, it's not going to taste anything like
    like what you remember (some would say it's not going to be worth the
    effort to cook it). Make spaetzle from scratch; it's no more difficult
    than pancakes.

    This is our improvisation from a magnificent dish served at "Knoll's
    Black Forest Inn" in Los Angeles. This is not as good as theirs (I wish
    I had their recipe), but it's very nice, and the kids love it:

    While making the spaetzle, sautee some little cubes of Black Forest or
    other good ham until lightly brown. Grate a goodly amount of a soft
    cheese like Fontina.

    When the spaetzle are all done, crank up the heat under the skillet with
    the ham, and dump the spaetzle in. Toss and stir until the spaetzle have
    toasty brown spots on them. Add the cheese and stir to mix. Let the
    cheese melt and brown a bit if you like it that way (we do).

    Serve quickly, while hot. Yum.

    Isaac

  13. Devil Dog

    Devil Dog Guest

    i:ve always enjoyed papricas (veal or chicken) over spetzle!

  14. kodi

    kodi Guest

    Again, thanks to everyone. I can't wait to have my meal of spetzel!

  15. Jude

    Jude Guest

    I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
    please?

  16. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    kodi wrote:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    > > "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > > Years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I had a delecious meal and

    > all
    > > > I remember is how good the spetzel was.
    > > > I've just bought some at a nearby German store, but now I have no

    > idea
    > > > what type of sauce to put over it.
    > > > Can any one help me out?
    > > >

    > > Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make

    > some.
    > > See what you've done ;)
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > --
    > > Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
    > > violence.
    > > -- Hebrew proverb

    > Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
    > have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
    > But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
    > Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
    > Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

    Common topping for vegetables, mashed potatoes or sauerkraut.

    Heat oil or butter or a mix of the two, add the dried breadcrumbs and
    fry until a nice brown. They burn easily so stay alert :)

  17. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Fri 11 Mar 2005 08:51:03p, kodi wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    > > Dog3 wrote:
    > >> "kodi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> Just try a butter sauce. Spaetzel is wonderful. Now I have to make
    > >> some. See what you've done ;)
    > >>
    > >> Michael
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
    > >> violence.
    > >> -- Hebrew proverb

    > > Thank you all for the great answers. Butter it is!!! I can't wait to
    > > have it. ANd I love onions and cheese, so I think I'll add those too.
    > > But I must say, I've never heard of fried bread crumbs.
    > > Haha, and I thought this was going to be a low fat, healthy meal!
    > > Mmmmm the butter sauce sounds great!

    > IINM, the fried bread crumbs is a Hungarian influence.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright

    Is it? No one in our family is Hungarian though. My Swiss German
    grandmother learnt it from her mother etc etc. It's common enough in
    German cooking in some regions.

  18. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
    > please?

    From 'The Art of German Cooking' (I've never used this recipe as we
    eyeball it but sounds right)

    Spatzle

    2 1/2 C sifted all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs beaten
    1/2 C water, as needed

    Combine flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the center and add the
    eggs and enough water to make a stiff dough. Let stand for 30 minutes.

    Heat a kettle of salted water to boiling and cut off thin slivers of
    dough into the water.
    (or use a Spatzle maker). Spatzle will rise to the surface when cooked,
    remove and drain.

    (you'll need to experiment with the texture of the dough if using the
    Spatzle maker)

  19. On Sat 12 Mar 2005 12:33:40p, Jude wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I've only had the boxed ones.......someone post a recipe for homemade,
    > please?

    I've made this recipe from JOC many times. There are others, some
    including potato. All good. This one is very basic and I've never had a
    failure.

    Spaetzle

    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    (a small grating of nutmeg) (optional, I leave this out)

    Beat these ingredients well. Drop small bits of the batter from a spoon
    into simmering salted water or stock, or put the batter through a colander
    or a sliding cutter. Spaetzle should be light and delicate. Try out a
    sample and if it is too heavy, add water to the batter. Simmer them until
    they are done and float to the top. Drain them, place them in a dish and
    toss with browned butter or browned bread crumbs.

    Note: If using later, after draining, cover with cold water. Drain
    thoroughly and rewarm with butter in large pan, stirring gently.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  20. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Could I buy one from you, Goomba? Mine is in pitiful condition and probably
    > won't last more than another couple of uses. I've tried to repair it, but it
    > won't stay together.

    Lemme find my second spare and if/when I do its
    all yours!
    I'll let you know when I find it. I've packed up
    stuff over the years. I bought four of them
    before moving back from Germany years ago.
    I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you.
    Goomba :)