I need your help folks

coowoowoo

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
I am going to buy the following bike from a friend for another friend. I want to give him a fair price for it but have no idea how much its worth. Can anyone give me a rough idea..

Specs:
It's Red Trek1000, bought Oct 2001,52cm frame, I believe.
Bike was just under $1400 plus pedals were a few hundred. Not 100% sure the exact mileage, but should be under 2 thousand kilometers. Shimano sora gear and the rest were....very good..

So, what do you think? Its currently garaged and hasnt seen the day for about two years now. So its not rusting away somewhere outside.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me..

coowoowoo wrote:
> I am going to buy the following bike from a friend for another friend. I
> want to give him a fair price for it but have no idea how much its
> worth. Can anyone give me a rough idea..
>
> Specs:
> It's Red Trek1000, bought Oct 2001,52cm frame, I believe.
> Bike was just under $1400 plus pedals were a few hundred. Not 100% sure
> the exact mileage, but should be under 2 thousand kilometers. Shimano
> sora gear and the rest were....very good..

A new Trek 1000 (the current spec is better, I think, than the '01 one)
costs about $1000, which has a CF fork etc, so a 2nd hand one, even
with very low use is going to be pretty cheap ... Maybe $500?

Remember one of the selling points of a Trek is the lifetime warranty,
but that's only to the original purchaser, so that has to be taken into
account.

It'd probably need new tyres, tubes etc ($100 or so) if it's been
ignored too ... all stuff to be aware of.

Bleve wrote:

> coowoowoo wrote:
> > I am going to buy the following bike from a friend for another friend. I
> > want to give him a fair price for it but have no idea how much its
> > worth. Can anyone give me a rough idea..
> >
> > Specs:
> > It's Red Trek1000, bought Oct 2001,52cm frame, I believe.
> > Bike was just under $1400 plus pedals were a few hundred. Not 100% sure
> > the exact mileage, but should be under 2 thousand kilometers. Shimano
> > sora gear and the rest were....very good..

> A new Trek 1000 (the current spec is better, I think, than the '01 one)
> costs about $1000, which has a CF fork etc, so a 2nd hand one, even
> with very low use is going to be pretty cheap ... Maybe $500?
>
> Remember one of the selling points of a Trek is the lifetime warranty,
> but that's only to the original purchaser, so that has to be taken into
> account.
>
> It'd probably need new tyres, tubes etc ($100 or so) if it's been
> ignored too ... all stuff to be aware of.

I was going to say $400-$500. The good thing is, if it is a friend of
yours, they might be willing to take it into the dealer should anything
happen to the frame... and claim they still own it... not that I would
condone that sort of behaviour

Tam*bought a brand-new second-hand Trek from a friend*

PHP:
coowoowoo said:
I am going to buy the following bike from a friend for another friend. I want to give him a fair price for it but have no idea how much its worth. Can anyone give me a rough idea..

Specs:
It's Red Trek1000, bought Oct 2001,52cm frame, I believe.
Bike was just under $1400 plus pedals were a few hundred. Not 100% sure the exact mileage, but should be under 2 thousand kilometers. Shimano sora gear and the rest were....very good..

So, what do you think? Its currently garaged and hasnt seen the day for about two years now. So its not rusting away somewhere outside.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me..
PHP:

$350 - $400 tops I think.