I need your help PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by samtheclip, Nov 21, 2003.

1. samtheclip

samtheclip New Member

I need as much input as I can here so, I appreciate any info. I have problems with both my knee's. They say I may have torn the meniscus in both knees. I find out next week what is really wrong when I get the MRI. The x-ray even shows problems. My big question is in regard to this laser therapy. I see that they treat some of the US Postal riders with these lasers. I saw one today for $10,000.00. I hear these can do a few things. They can help recover faster post surgery and can help with inflammation. Please let me know all you can about these ex. where to buy them and if they help. My goal is to recover the fastest possible no matter the cost!

Thanks,
    Sam

Tags:

2. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Sam,
    I'm dealing with a torn medial meniscus and a torn posterior cruciate ligament from an accident 2 months ago.
    Here is a good web site I've been using http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/index.html
    Check out their link to kneegeeks which is a good forum full of knowledgable people. I'm there quite a bit - look for "lumpy".

I strongly suggest you get as informed as possible so you can ask your Dr. the good questions. Be sure to get second opinions - or more. I've seen 4 orthopedic surgeons before I was satisfied.

The bad news is that you have to be patient during the healing process and there may not be a shortcut. I tore my medial meniscus 20 years ago and wore a full leg cast for 3 months. However the Dr. was one of the best and he saved my meniscus which is well worth it. I was a pretty extreme case unfortunately.
    It also depends on whether the Dr. can repair what has happened or has to remove damaged parts of the meniscus. Repairs take a lot longer to heal but you end up as good as new.
    Removing the damaged parts has a much faster healing time but it makes the joint a bit looser and the more of the meniscus is removed the better the odds are of getting osteoarthritis down the road.
    There are a lot of variables like where the tear is in the meniscus, how old you are, and the general condition of your knee, etc. Your Dr. will know more with the MRI but MRI's are only 85% accurate. The best way is to "scope" your knee where they go looking around inside with a tiny camera. It's same day surgery and you leave with a 1/2" cut on your knee and a bandaid!

I've never heard about lasers being used for this kind of stuff.

good luck,
    Tim

3. samtheclip

samtheclip New Member

Thanks for all the input. That really helps. I found what I was looking for. This is the laser system used on the US Postal team. They even make a special model with their logo. Check this out.
    http://www.erchonia.com/

Thanks - Sam

4. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

Sam,
    I agree with the suggestion to get a 2nd opinion. A third, fourth, or fifth opinion might not be a bad idea either. Also you should try to find an ortho doc who is a cyclist him/her-self or at the very least has dealt with cyclists extensively. That way the doctor will understand exactly what level of functioning you require and your desire to get back as quickly as possible. With 2 torn menisci however it sounds like surgery is the only way to go. Just out of curiosity, without an MRI, who and by what means were you diagnosed? As for the lasers, in surgery they are mostly being used to correct ligament laxity (shoulder capsule or ACL) or for chondroplasty (smoothing the articular surfaces of bone). It doesn't sound like you have either of those problems so the laser may be of limited benefit. There are other lasers and thermal devices that are designed to promote tissue growth. In the post-op setting anything that promotes healing could be helpful so if that's the type of laser you're looking at it could be beneficial. Just make sure to consult with your doctor and physical therapist so they are aware of the additional modality. A reputable and well-equiped physical therapist should have that modality as well as many others at their disposal to treat you. Perhaps you could put the $10k towards a rehab program at a top notch physical therapy clinic in lieu of the laser. Just a thought. Good luck.

5. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Sam,

Thanks for the link. I read their info and I'm not sure it would be effective for torn meniscus like we both have. However I think it might help with my torn PCL.

Discobean,
    It is pretty easy to diagnose meniscal damage w/out an MRI. The dr. manipulates your leg and knee to see where you yell!

here is some more info
    http://www.orthoassociates.com/meniscus.htm#Symptoms

Tim