I need your opinion...

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
Hello,
I have a question. I've been looking on ebay and there are a lot of people/dealers trying to get rid of their 2004 stock bikes to make room for their 2005 inventory. Specifically I'm talking about a Trek 5900 superlight for a buy-it-now price of $1500.00. This bike was supposed to retail for $4799.99. This price includes shipping and handling but it is coming from overseas. These listings, and I say listings because there have been a few in the last couple of weeks will go on ebay for 1 day, then they are gone. I contact the seller through email and they tell me they are trying to liquidate their inventory and the reason they took the listing off of ebay was due to all the inquires they received. They tell me through email that they will ship the bike to me for the price listed as long as I pay them. Can someone tell me if this is a scam?

I went to my local Trek dealer and he is trying to sell his 2004 bikes as well but he is not cutting the prices like crazy. This is why I have a hard time believing/trusting these 1 day listings on ebay that are coming from overseas. My local dealer has discounts of $60 to $300 dollars depending on the model. (i.e. 2004 Trek 1000 on sale for $519.99 and 2004 Trek 5200 on sale for $2529.99). They DO NOT however have Trek 5900's on sale for $1500.00.

I'm looking for a 52cm Trek. I would really like to get into the OCLV frame (so 5200, 5500, or 5900) but I'm trying to optimize the components based on the best price/value. If anyone has any ideas or comments or experience with buying overseas from something like this please tell me if the experience was good/bad.

Thank you for all your help.

gigemaggs99 said:
Hello,
I have a question. I've been looking on ebay and there are a lot of people/dealers trying to get rid of their 2004 stock bikes to make room for their 2005 inventory. Specifically I'm talking about a Trek 5900 superlight for a buy-it-now price of $1500.00. This bike was supposed to retail for $4799.99. This price includes shipping and handling but it is coming from overseas. These listings, and I say listings because there have been a few in the last couple of weeks will go on ebay for 1 day, then they are gone. I contact the seller through email and they tell me they are trying to liquidate their inventory and the reason they took the listing off of ebay was due to all the inquires they received. They tell me through email that they will ship the bike to me for the price listed as long as I pay them. Can someone tell me if this is a scam?

I went to my local Trek dealer and he is trying to sell his 2004 bikes as well but he is not cutting the prices like crazy. This is why I have a hard time believing/trusting these 1 day listings on ebay that are coming from overseas. My local dealer has discounts of $60 to $300 dollars depending on the model. (i.e. 2004 Trek 1000 on sale for $519.99 and 2004 Trek 5200 on sale for $2529.99). They DO NOT however have Trek 5900's on sale for $1500.00.

I'm looking for a 52cm Trek. I would really like to get into the OCLV frame (so 5200, 5500, or 5900) but I'm trying to optimize the components based on the best price/value. If anyone has any ideas or comments or experience with buying overseas from something like this please tell me if the experience was good/bad.

Thank you for all your help.
that first one is def. a scam..
ask to see pics and get a phone number and address..
and ask to do a COD..
but no one takes off 3000$!
def go with you local bike shop

gigemaggs99 said:
Hello,

Definitely a scam! If you report the auction to eBay as suspicious you'll find that it gets removed very quickly. I've reported a couple myself. DO NOT give the seller any money!

Let me guess... Their preferred method of payment is a wire transfer of the money?

gigemaggs99 said:

That sounds much more realistic. The reason your shop doesn't have any 5900's "on sale" for $1500 is because it's too good to be true.

Ok,
Thank you very much! I have been researching and looking for a while now, then I came across those listings on ebay and I was really confused. Looks like a scam and one of those "if it looks too good to be true, then it is." It was strange how most of them do not want to deal with paypal and like ya'll are aware, they prefer a wire transfer. Thanks again for the help!

meehs said:
Definitely a scam! If you report the auction to eBay as suspicious you'll find that it gets removed very quickly. I've reported a couple myself. DO NOT give the seller any money!

Let me guess... Their preferred method of payment is a wire transfer of the money?

That sounds much more realistic. The reason your shop doesn't have any 5900's "on sale" for $1500 is because it's too good to be true.

60% (or maybe even more!) in ebay is a scam!!! Been there, done that! Make sure you get enough information before bidding. Ask questions as much as you can. This is the only way you can be sure that what you are bidding is the one you'll be getting. Good luck!