I noticed a lot more commuter bikers!

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I visited Chicago this week, after being in Houston more than a year. The Village thrift store I go to - tons more bikes parked outside. Also noticed a lot more commuter bikers - because gas prices are so high in Chicago! 6-30-08 87 is $4.39 / gal! That's more expensive than premium in Houston!

Have you noticed a lot more commuter bikers in your city because of high gas prices?

Reactions: haleylx4
I am seeing a lot more bikes around the Buffalo area. I am glad too, it is nice to see.

cdat said:
I am seeing a lot more bikes around the Buffalo area. I am glad too, it is nice to see.
I am seeing more too, however it is not necessarily a good thing. There are at least two new riders that will probably not make it to retirement age if they keep riding the way that they do in morning rush hour traffic. The biggest problem for me is that they get the motorists good and angry so that I am pretty much a target when the motorists get to me:mad: !

That is true too, but the I am trying to be positive- if cars see a lot more newbies they willhopefully become more careful and give us all a lot more room. I know there are a few bad apples that give us all a bad name.

Where I am, Denmark, there's been a sudden drop in both bikes and cars on my daily commute.

Probably because it's the holidays. :D

threaded said:
Where I am, Denmark, there's been a sudden drop in both bikes and cars on my daily commute.

Probably because it's the holidays. :D
LOL, same here in Rome, unless you decide to ride on the coastal road. Then you realise where everyone who left Rome has gone... :D

sportsmed said:
We're noticing that more people are attempt to cycle to work but most do not think it's a viable thing. 20 yrs ago more people cycle. Now, our population is fatter and more pampered. http://cyclingprofessionals.blogspot.com

That's likely the case more often than people would like to admit. Sadly, folks will go to all sorts of lengths to find excuses for not expending a bit o' effort and for maintaining their sad status quo.

True. Although it must be said most people have no idea what riding entails or what potential their body has - my coworkers consider me an epic rider since they learned I have a 20 minute ride to work... :rolleyes:

Have to say, I have been commuting for what, three weeks? I love it. Granted, I have a short distance to work (about 7.5 km one way). But I get into work with a sick grin.

And I consider the commute home as my warm-up before the afternoon ride. :D

And the man at the gas station has forgotten my name. :D

And I sold my second car. I equate that to approximately 1200 Euro savings a year, considering insurance, maintenance and gas. :D:D

Powerful Pete said:
True. Although it must be said most people have no idea what riding entails or what potential their body has - my coworkers consider me an epic rider since they learned I have a 20 minute ride to work... :rolleyes:

Have to say, I have been commuting for what, three weeks? I love it. Granted, I have a short distance to work (about 7.5 km one way). But I get into work with a sick grin.

And I consider the commute home as my warm-up before the afternoon ride. :D

And the man at the gas station has forgotten my name. :D

And I sold my second car. I equate that to approximately 1200 Euro savings a year, considering insurance, maintenance and gas. :D:D

I'm hip to what you're saying. Humanz is resistant to change. After all, why do something different, if you can continue to do the thing that you've done the last 5,000 days in a row? No creativity or new, potentially fun experiences involved.

We be a one car family, too. We do not miss the second car and haven't had a second car for four years.

Three years ago I calculated my money saved, in terms of gas, was $600/yr. With the fuel prices now, that savings is in excess of $1200/yr and doesn't include maintenance, insurance, and etc.

My commute, 17 miles each way, warms my brain up and has me ready for action when I get to work/school in the AM, and helps destress me and gives me time to think through physics/optics problems theory on the way home.

Powerful Pete said:
True. Although it must be said most people have no idea what riding entails or what potential their body has - my coworkers consider me an epic rider since they learned I have a 20 minute ride to work...
My afternoon commute has two parts - I ride about 4 miles to my daughter's daycare, take a little under 10 minutes to set up the carrier and get her stuff and get back on the road, and ride a little more than 4 miles home.

Anyway, the people at work think that an 8 mile ride is mind boggling. The people at daycare assume we live about 2 blocks away and when they find out it's 4 miles carrying a 20-pound kid in a bike trailer....well, I think some of them consider me virtually super-human for such exertions (not that I'm personally going to disabuse them of their notion that I'm stud athlete-guy, but geez, exercise once a week or something).

This is what I find most surprising - the clear fact that most people do not exercise at all, if they are impressed by the kind of commutes we are talking about. That I find to be a major concern...

Powerful Pete said:
True. Although it must be said most people have no idea what riding entails or what potential their body has - my coworkers consider me an epic rider since they learned I have a 20 minute ride to work...

<< snipped >>

I spend around 2.5 hours in the saddle for my commute at the moment ∼ 70km/43.5miles

Public transport is way cheaper, (considering the replacement cost as parts wear out on the bikes,) but is generally not as fast. :D

threaded said:
I spend around 2.5 hours in the saddle for my commute at the moment ∼ 70km/43.5miles

Public transport is way cheaper, (considering the replacement cost as parts wear out on the bikes,) but is generally not as fast. :D
LOL. I think that may have to do with the quality of the bike parts that you want to ride with. :)

BTW, did you commute year-round, even in the Danish winter?

Powerful Pete said:
LOL. I think that may have to do with the quality of the bike parts that you want to ride with. :)

BTW, did you commute year-round, even in the Danish winter?
I especially enjoy commuting in the Danish winter, less traffic on the roads slowing me down. :D

There again the brakes often freeze up and don't slow me down either, but this year I've got myself some hydraulic brakes that have 'Eisbär' written on them, so that's gotta help. :rolleyes:

threaded said:
I especially enjoy commuting in the Danish winter, less traffic on the roads slowing me down. :D

There again the brakes often freeze up and don't slow me down either, but this year I've got myself some hydraulic brakes that have 'Eisbär' written on them, so that's gotta help. :rolleyes:
LOL, you have to send us a pic of you suited up for your morning commute in the winter.

I my bike ride to work was 50 minutes or less I would be to work every day it won't rain. Maybe that's 14 miles or less.

JTE83 said:
Have you noticed a lot more commuter bikers in your city because of high gas prices?
Our shop is selling a lot of fitness and value-oriented road bikes this summer. We can't get enough Trek FXs, Pilots, and Specialized Allezes to satisfy the demand.

My ride would take me about 1 hour with several small hills. I have not got the short cuts and safer routes yet. But I was told that my mountain bike would be too difficult to cycle 40km return. The ride in the morning would be refreshing but the ride at 5pm could be 33-35C at times requiring me to go along the highways with bikes and cars speeing at 110km/h. That's why I am still doing my training at 20km each day with 1 rest day. Any suggestions?

sportsmed said:
My ride would take me about 1 hour with several small hills. I have not got the short cuts and safer routes yet. But I was told that my mountain bike would be too difficult to cycle 40km return. The ride in the morning would be refreshing but the ride at 5pm could be 33-35C at times requiring me to go along the highways with bikes and cars speeing at 110km/h. That's why I am still doing my training at 20km each day with 1 rest day. Any suggestions?
Not sure what you want us to tell you. You have to decide whether you are comfortable riding with fast car traffic. I regularly do, but on roads that have a nice wide shoulder (about 2 meters wide) that affords me safety.

As to your choice of bicycle, obviously a more road-oriented bike will help you go faster and be more comfortable on your commute, but you can easily ride your mtb for a 40km round trip.

I would suggest, however, that you a train a bit more and are comfortable riding 40km a day (which is twice what you are riding now) before you attempt commuting that distance. You are setting yourself up for some pain and misery doubling your daily mileage while working.