I offended another cyclist yesterday! :-(

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Mr. Beanz, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

We were stopped at Edna Park when some dude rolled up on a bike wearing a Hearst Castle Bike ride jersey. Nice colors so Gina noticed it and pointed it out. He was so happy being the spotlight of the show. :cool:

He went on to tell us how his company sponsored like 10 people to do the ride. It's a fun raising ride, $50 or so to register but need to raise $1500 minimum donation per rider.

He said the company he worked for paid for 10 admissions and put up the $1500 for each rider as well. He went on and on about how his company did this and that for them blah blah blah! He seemed really proud of his company. Turns out he worked for ARCO.

So I was just kidding and said,"yeah I noticed right around that time the price of gas shot up, probably to pay for your fees!". [​IMG]

He got really defensive and started going on how ARCO gas was cheaper than everybody else.

Hey I was only joking man! [​IMG] Gina said I was mean! :p

Tags:
    steve likes this.

2. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Sounded like the guy was a little up his own end to me stating how much was needed to be raised per rider minimum.

We have a big brewery in town with most of the higher ups bragging about their exclusive parties and exclusive events that only the best of the best can attend and constantly belittling anyone who looks worth a pound less than them. Jerks most of those guys are:rolleyes:

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I think he was probably just a thin-skinned braggadocio.

But, good on ARCO (I love "big oil"!) for kicking in $15,000 for a charity...unless it was one of those gay transgender pride things. That would just be wrong.

Hmmmmm...if I had a dollar for every cyclist I pissed off over the last 44 years I could retire on my own island in the South Pacific (The Almighty Republic of CampyBob) and pave most of the island over with roads to hold my own Pro Tour 3-week Grand Tour race on.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I make a living pissing people off. It is a simple life but simple things are rewarding. On the up side you may never see this dude again so why fret?

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  5. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

You guys still paying more than $3 a gallon out there, Beanz? My jaw dropped when I saw the price leaving LAX a couple of weeks ago. It's under $1.90 here.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  6. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

2.70....sucks was 2.40 a day before Christmas.

7. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I paid $1.79.9 today. And road diesel is around $2.

If that offends some solar/wind/geothermal/tidal energy people...suck it.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  8. Zhen25

Zhen25 Member

Haha some people have very short fuses. Maybe something is up at his company why he is so defensive anyway

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

I've come across these types of folks. I've even got someone in my social circle who keeps on bragging about the company he works for. This can get really annoying. There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's work or company but it's not necessary to make such a big deal about it.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  10. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Now that I'm retired I have a good time breaking the jaw of people that think it's fun to insult people. Strange how few people insult others around me now.

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

You don't have to insult people to make them angry. Just telling them "no" generally is enough.

12. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

The most offensive thing you can do to most cyclists is beat them up a hill or in a sprint.

13. Mannu

Mannu New Member

I hate some cyclists for these reasons:
    1) no road etiquite;
    2) inadequate or non-existant illumination when night riding.

14. Gnufrau

Gnufrau Active Member

I don't hate them, but I do feel bad about them. They make the rest of us look bad as well. I try and remember that when I ride I'm also acting as an ambassador of cycling, in that the impression I leave with them reflects on all other cyclists also.

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Some drivers are a-holes . A guy was yelling at me this morning" get outta my way or I will run you down". I looked back and explained, dude I am on a stationary trainer and this is my basement.

Acheno84 and Velos like this.
  16. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that exchange between a US Navy warship and a Canadian lighthouse ;)

Interestingly I had a woman yell at me like a banshee screaming at me to move in a traffic jam when there was nowhere to move to...I sometimes think she might have been on drugs.

17. likeascroll

likeascroll Member

Some people are too into themselves. o_O

18. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

When I read the title of your thread I thought you were a mean person but still I didn't want to judge or say something I shouldn't. I believe we should not offend other people in general. On the contrary, we should make new friends and be as nice as we can ... While we can. However, what you did cannot be put in a group of mild sarcasm. It is not offensive, it is merely a joke. I'd say it was an observation and he got defensive because he knows it was the truth.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  19. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

I don't like violence.Very glad to see it is only a joke when I chick the title

20. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder Member

I am having a hard time figuring out how that dude got a automobile down in your basement?