I only eat - uh - normal stuff

Modom

Guest
That's what the checker at the "super"market told me yesterday as she
tried in vain to look up my veggies in her sku list. I'd presented
her with:

3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis are
furry. "Oh.")

1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer its
name before the question was formed, but she still couldn't
find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)

1 avocado (got it!)

1 six pack of beer (got it again!)

1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)

1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)

1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
"It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
I, too late.)

I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets of
Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly. Well,
I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce test,
but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
the headline. She lives in Texas.

Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

Here's a salad idea:

Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a sliced
blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill, however), a
sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado. Squeeze half a
lime over the above stuff, and add a generous splash EVOO.
Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico red chiles. Salt and
pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.

modom

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

There's a lot of people working in places that they don't
like. It's called earning a living. I'm sure most people
would rather not work, period, and do whatever they want
that pleases them.

-sw

modom wrote:
> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
> are furry. "Oh.")

At least you can buy limes. My commissary does not sell
them. I have to go off base... into the "real world!" :)

Gin and tonic without lime is like pizza without meat.

> 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)

Mmmmm.... beer.... ohohohhhhohhhhh....

> Her reply is the headline.

That reminds me of my wife. I bought some chipotles and she
asked what kind of prunes are spicey, like I am some
deranged three-armed freak. My usual answer, hey, YOU
married me!

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
[email protected]

Steve Wertz wrote:
> There's a lot of people working in places that they don't
> like. It's called earning a living. I'm sure most people
> would rather not work, period, and do whatever they want
> that pleases them.

Been there, done that. I used to work in a bank and hated
it, but it paid the bills. I do not expect a cashier at any
store to like his or her job, or even to know anything about
the products being scanned. It is like being a salesman, for
example, I used to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer
salesmen knew almost nothing about computers, all that
mattered is that they pushed merchandise and earned
commission. It was a paycheck, and a damned good one at that
for a job requiring zero education beyond high school.

--

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:45:18 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

> At least you can buy limes. My commissary does not sell
> them. I have to go off base... into the "real world!" :)

Have you checked at the Class VI?

-Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]> wrote:

>Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

How would they know if they like food, if they've
never tried it?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

modom wrote:

<snip>

> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

cute story ;)

--
chalk, the other white meat

modom wrote:

> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
>
> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
> are furry. "Oh.")

You're saying they sell kiwis there and she can't just walk
over and look at them herself?

> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
> The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
> the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
> I, too late.)

Funny, apparently celery root inspired a similar reaction
yesterday. That's okay, if I hadn't seen it on tv, I
wouldn't have known what it was either.

nancy

modom wrote:

> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
>
> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
> are furry. "Oh.")
>
> 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
> its name before the question was formed, but she still
> couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
>
> 1 avocado (got it!)
>
> 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
>
> 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
>
> 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
>
> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
> The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
> the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
> I, too late.)
>
> I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
> of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
> attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
> Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
> test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
> rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
> the headline. She lives in Texas.
>
> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

Because it's often the only job going? Most of those
problems are easily solved: training. However most of the
time, the poor checkers are tossed on the tills with about
30 minutes worth of how-to.

modom wrote:

> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
>
> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
> are furry. "Oh.")
>
> 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
> its name before the question was formed, but she still
> couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
>
> 1 avocado (got it!)
>
> 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
>
> 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
>
> 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
>
> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
> The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
> the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
> I, too late.)
>
> I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
> of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
> attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
> Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
> test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
> rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
> the headline. She lives in Texas.
>
> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

Because it's often the only job going? Most of those
problems are easily solved: training. However most of the
time, the poor checkers are tossed on the tills with about
30 minutes worth of how-to.

> Here's a salad idea:
>
> Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
> sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
> however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
> Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
> generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
> red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
>
> modom

modom <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
>
> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
> are furry. "Oh.")
>
> 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
> its name before the question was formed, but she still
> couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
>
> 1 avocado (got it!)
>
> 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
>
> 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
>
> 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
>
> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
> The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
> the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
> I, too late.)
>
> I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
> of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
> attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
> Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
> test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
> rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
> the headline. She lives in Texas.
>
> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?
>
> Here's a salad idea:
>
> Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
> sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
> however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
> Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
> generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
> red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
>
> modom

Ohhh... your salad sounds great. Thankfully most of the
folks at the check stands at my Dierbergs are food savvy.
Most of them are retired and working part time to get out of
the house. I swap recipes with Marissa(checker) and an
unusual veggie or fruit does not daunt her in the least. I
even heard her say the *F* word once because "The damned I/S
people don't have their sh*t together." Marissa has to be 80
if she's a day.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

> [...]

> however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
> Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
> generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
> red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
>
> modom

Ohhh... your salad sounds great. Thankfully most of the
folks at the check stands at my Dierbergs are food savvy.
Most of them are retired and working part time to get out of
the house. I swap recipes with Marissa(checker) and an
unusual veggie or fruit does not daunt her in the least. I
even heard her say the *F* word once because "The damned I/S
people don't have their sh*t together." Marissa has to be 80
if she's a day.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.

"John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> her job, or even to know anything about the products being
> scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
> to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
> almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
> they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
> paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
> requiring zero education beyond high school.

Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

> --
> John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
> [email protected]

"John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> her job, or even to know anything about the products being
> scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
> to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
> almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
> they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
> paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
> requiring zero education beyond high school.

Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

> --
> John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
> [email protected]

"John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> her job, or even to know anything about the products being
> scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
> to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
> almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
> they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
> paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
> requiring zero education beyond high school.

Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

> --
> John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
> [email protected]

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:40:32 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>modom wrote:
>>
>> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
>> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
>> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
>>
>> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
>> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
>> are furry. "Oh.")
>
>You're saying they sell kiwis there and she can't just walk
>over and look at them herself?

That was D's observation, as well. The dear child at the
register had no interest, no curiosity in her work. Arri and
others have pointed out that for her it's just a McJob,
which is of course true. But such an utter disinterest in
the products she deals with bodes ill for any job she might
have now or in the future. Not all jobs are McJobs.

I'm drifting off topic here, but who among us hasn't had a
crappy job at one time or another? One of mine was
assembling corrugated boxes in an un-airconditioned steel
building one summer in the Dallas area. I held an industrial
sized hot melt gun in my bare hands (amazing what you can
get used to) for hours at a time in 100+ degree heat. How
bad was it? The only other guy in that part of the factory
with me was on probation after doing time for smuggling
ganja back from Vietnam. He had to be there. Over thirty
years later, I still have scars from the hot glue.

There are other bad jobs on my resume. Assistant grease
monkey, e.g., and the one at the little gew gaw factory
where I stuffed my right hand into a table saw one
afternoon (you don't get used to that, but it does feel
good when it stops).

It's good to be an artist these days.

>> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
>> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
>> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
>> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any
>> I's. The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he
>> trots to the produce section to discover the price. 99
>> cents, says I, too late.)
>
>Funny, apparently celery root inspired a similar reaction
>yesterday. That's okay, if I hadn't seen it on tv, I
>wouldn't have known what it was either.
>
>nancy

Right. I really don't expect most folks to recognize a
jicama, even in a grocery store. It was the dully incurious
demeanor that concerned me. Not so much for what it meant
for my convenience -- actually that part was fairly amusing,
like a rough draft of a comedy sketch -- but for what it
augured for her limited future.

modom

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]> wrote:

>Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

When I was a young man one could not be a checker until they
could walk through the produce section with the manager and
give accurate prices on any thing he/she selected. Bar codes
have dumbed down checkers, and since the checkers I have
seen the past few years can't put together two legible,
readable paragraphs, it's just as well. Mediocrity is now
the accepted standard. I never go to check out without a
barcode on everything, including the avacados and the
cilantro and every damned apple.