I only eat - uh - normal stuff

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Modom, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Modom

    Modom Guest

    That's what the checker at the "super"market told me yesterday as she
    tried in vain to look up my veggies in her sku list. I'd presented
    her with:

    3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis are
    furry. "Oh.")

    1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer its
    name before the question was formed, but she still couldn't
    find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)

    1 avocado (got it!)

    1 six pack of beer (got it again!)

    1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)

    1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)

    1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    I, too late.)

    I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets of
    Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly. Well,
    I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce test,
    but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    the headline. She lives in Texas.

    Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    Here's a salad idea:

    Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a sliced
    blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill, however), a
    sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado. Squeeze half a
    lime over the above stuff, and add a generous splash EVOO.
    Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico red chiles. Salt and
    pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.

    modom

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    There's a lot of people working in places that they don't
    like. It's called earning a living. I'm sure most people
    would rather not work, period, and do whatever they want
    that pleases them.

    -sw

  3. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    modom wrote:
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")

    At least you can buy limes. My commissary does not sell
    them. I have to go off base... into the "real world!" :)

    Gin and tonic without lime is like pizza without meat.

    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)

    Mmmmm.... beer.... ohohohhhhohhhhh....

    > Her reply is the headline.

    That reminds me of my wife. I bought some chipotles and she
    asked what kind of prunes are spicey, like I am some
    deranged three-armed freak. My usual answer, hey, YOU
    married me!

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  4. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > There's a lot of people working in places that they don't
    > like. It's called earning a living. I'm sure most people
    > would rather not work, period, and do whatever they want
    > that pleases them.

    Been there, done that. I used to work in a bank and hated
    it, but it paid the bills. I do not expect a cashier at any
    store to like his or her job, or even to know anything about
    the products being scanned. It is like being a salesman, for
    example, I used to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer
    salesmen knew almost nothing about computers, all that
    mattered is that they pushed merchandise and earned
    commission. It was a paycheck, and a damned good one at that
    for a job requiring zero education beyond high school.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  5. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:45:18 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

    > At least you can buy limes. My commissary does not sell
    > them. I have to go off base... into the "real world!" :)

    Have you checked at the Class VI?

    -Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com

  6. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    How would they know if they like food, if they've
    never tried it?

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  7. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    modom wrote:

    <snip>

    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    cute story ;)

    --
    chalk, the other white meat

  8. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Yeff wrote:
    >> At least you can buy limes. My commissary does not sell
    >> them. I have to go off base... into the "real world!" :)
    >
    > Have you checked at the Class VI?

    They sell lime juice, but no produce.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    modom wrote:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")

    You're saying they sell kiwis there and she can't just walk
    over and look at them herself?

    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)

    Funny, apparently celery root inspired a similar reaction
    yesterday. That's okay, if I hadn't seen it on tv, I
    wouldn't have known what it was either.

    nancy

  10. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    modom wrote:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    Because it's often the only job going? Most of those
    problems are easily solved: training. However most of the
    time, the poor checkers are tossed on the tills with about
    30 minutes worth of how-to.

    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

  11. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    modom wrote:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    Because it's often the only job going? Most of those
    problems are easily solved: training. However most of the
    time, the poor checkers are tossed on the tills with about
    30 minutes worth of how-to.

    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

  12. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    modom wrote:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    Because it's often the only job going? Most of those
    problems are easily solved: training. However most of the
    time, the poor checkers are tossed on the tills with about
    30 minutes worth of how-to.

    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

  13. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    modom <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?
    >
    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

    Ohhh... your salad sounds great. Thankfully most of the
    folks at the check stands at my Dierbergs are food savvy.
    Most of them are retired and working part time to get out of
    the house. I swap recipes with Marissa(checker) and an
    unusual veggie or fruit does not daunt her in the least. I
    even heard her say the *F* word once because "The damned I/S
    people don't have their sh*t together." Marissa has to be 80
    if she's a day.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  14. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    modom <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?
    >
    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

    Ohhh... your salad sounds great. Thankfully most of the
    folks at the check stands at my Dierbergs are food savvy.
    Most of them are retired and working part time to get out of
    the house. I swap recipes with Marissa(checker) and an
    unusual veggie or fruit does not daunt her in the least. I
    even heard her say the *F* word once because "The damned I/S
    people don't have their sh*t together." Marissa has to be 80
    if she's a day.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  15. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    modom <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    > yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    > her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >
    > 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    > somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    > are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    > 1 poblano chile. (Her tragic look caused me to volunteer
    > its name before the question was formed, but she still
    > couldn't find it on her list. The sacker rescued her.)
    >
    > 1 avocado (got it!)
    >
    > 1 six pack of beer (got it again!)
    >
    > 1 sirloin steak (bar code to the rescue!)
    >
    > 1 bunch cilantro ("Parsley?" Nope.)
    >
    > 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    > cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    > "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    > and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any I's.
    > The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he trots to
    > the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
    > I, too late.)
    >
    > I try to tell her about jicamas, but her eyes grow sheets
    > of Plexiglass and her posture displays the same lack of
    > attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly.
    > Well, I offer brightly, I really put you through a produce
    > test, but this stuff is good. Poblanos are used for chile
    > rellenos. Did you ever have a chile relleno? Her reply is
    > the headline. She lives in Texas.
    >
    > Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?
    >
    > Here's a salad idea:
    >
    > Thinly slice about 1/4 medium jicama (peeled). Add a
    > sliced blood orange (don't try to find one in Cow Hill,
    > however), a sliced navel orange, and a sliced avocado.
    > Squeeze half a lime over the above stuff, and add a
    > generous splash EVOO. Add a scant tsp ground New Mexico
    > red chiles. Salt and pepper. Toss. Serve slightly chilled.
    >
    > modom

    Ohhh... your salad sounds great. Thankfully most of the
    folks at the check stands at my Dierbergs are food savvy.
    Most of them are retired and working part time to get out of
    the house. I swap recipes with Marissa(checker) and an
    unusual veggie or fruit does not daunt her in the least. I
    even heard her say the *F* word once because "The damned I/S
    people don't have their sh*t together." Marissa has to be 80
    if she's a day.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  16. George

    George Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > her job, or even to know anything about the products being
    > scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
    > to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
    > almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
    > they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
    > paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
    > requiring zero education beyond high school.

    Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
    that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
    whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

    > --
    > John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    > [email protected]

  17. George

    George Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > her job, or even to know anything about the products being
    > scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
    > to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
    > almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
    > they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
    > paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
    > requiring zero education beyond high school.

    Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
    that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
    whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

    > --
    > John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    > [email protected]

  18. George

    George Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > her job, or even to know anything about the products being
    > scanned. It is like being a salesman, for example, I used
    > to work at CompUSA. Some of the computer salesmen knew
    > almost nothing about computers, all that mattered is that
    > they pushed merchandise and earned commission. It was a
    > paycheck, and a damned good one at that for a job
    > requiring zero education beyond high school.

    Yes and good advice for anyone who believes the marketing
    that the "dell interns" or the "circuit city associates (or
    whatever they are called)" actually know anything.

    > --
    > John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    > [email protected]

  19. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:40:32 -0500, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >modom wrote:
    >>
    >> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me
    >> yesterday as she tried in vain to look up my veggies in
    >> her sku list. I'd presented her with:
    >>
    >> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for
    >> somebody to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis
    >> are furry. "Oh.")
    >
    >You're saying they sell kiwis there and she can't just walk
    >over and look at them herself?

    That was D's observation, as well. The dear child at the
    register had no interest, no curiosity in her work. Arri and
    others have pointed out that for her it's just a McJob,
    which is of course true. But such an utter disinterest in
    the products she deals with bodes ill for any job she might
    have now or in the future. Not all jobs are McJobs.

    I'm drifting off topic here, but who among us hasn't had a
    crappy job at one time or another? One of mine was
    assembling corrugated boxes in an un-airconditioned steel
    building one summer in the Dallas area. I held an industrial
    sized hot melt gun in my bare hands (amazing what you can
    get used to) for hours at a time in 100+ degree heat. How
    bad was it? The only other guy in that part of the factory
    with me was on probation after doing time for smuggling
    ganja back from Vietnam. He had to be there. Over thirty
    years later, I still have scars from the hot glue.

    There are other bad jobs on my resume. Assistant grease
    monkey, e.g., and the one at the little gew gaw factory
    where I stuffed my right hand into a table saw one
    afternoon (you don't get used to that, but it does feel
    good when it stops).

    It's good to be an artist these days.

    >> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe
    >> cheerfully and proactively. She searched and searched.
    >> "It's not on the list. It should be here between the H's
    >> and the K's, but it's not." I guess there weren't any
    >> I's. The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off he
    >> trots to the produce section to discover the price. 99
    >> cents, says I, too late.)
    >
    >Funny, apparently celery root inspired a similar reaction
    >yesterday. That's okay, if I hadn't seen it on tv, I
    >wouldn't have known what it was either.
    >
    >nancy

    Right. I really don't expect most folks to recognize a
    jicama, even in a grocery store. It was the dully incurious
    demeanor that concerned me. Not so much for what it meant
    for my convenience -- actually that part was fairly amusing,
    like a rough draft of a comedy sketch -- but for what it
    augured for her limited future.

    modom

  20. Royal

    Royal Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:23 -0600, modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

    When I was a young man one could not be a checker until they
    could walk through the produce section with the manager and
    give accurate prices on any thing he/she selected. Bar codes
    have dumbed down checkers, and since the checkers I have
    seen the past few years can't put together two legible,
    readable paragraphs, it's just as well. Mediocrity is now
    the accepted standard. I never go to check out without a
    barcode on everything, including the avacados and the
    cilantro and every damned apple.