I pedaled over 3200 pounds!

Chalo

Guest
I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
life.

Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
playing on board.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg

I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
(who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
around on the bat/tallbike). And they got lots of help from me in
designing and building their snake.

Austin Bike Zoo are also responsible for the pedicab full of drumming
bug people and the flapping phoenix in the video, as well as a number
of other similarly impressive machines that were not pictured. I'm
honored to have become a part of their extended tribe this season.

I hope you all had such a fun New Year's celebration!

Chalo
keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

On Jan 2, 9:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.

[snip]
> I hope you all had such a fun New Year's celebration!
>
> Chalo
> keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

Bravo! I amduelyimpressed, Chalo - thanks for share that with us.

Chalo Colina wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board....

Since this is cross-posted to "tech", what was the gearing on the trike?

POST FREE OR DIE!

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Chalo Colina wrote:
> >
> > I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> > turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> > life.

> > Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> > and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> > playing on board....

> Since this is cross-posted to "tech", what was the gearing on the trike?

I was hoping you'd ask that!

The rear subframe of the trike was salvaged from a Worksman Adaptable
industrial trike. It has two-stage gearing of 30/20 and 20/30 with a
Shimano 333 hub serving as the jackshaft. Thus its direct drive gear
is 1:1 on a roughly 16" wheelbarrow wheel. The three gears are
therefore approximately 21", 16", and 12".

I beefed up the Worksman subframe with a third axle bearing, stronger
axle, dual wheelbarrow wheels, and other enhancements.

Chalo

On Jan 2, 8:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg
>
> I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
> (who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
> powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
> around on the bat/tallbike). And they got lots of help from me in
> designing and building their snake.

That snake might be the coolest pedal powered thing ever! What were
the "ribs" made of? Opaque plastic?

Chalo wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg

{snip}
> keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

Chalo does some Texas-style Americana! There's hope for mankind after all!

Bill "liked the bibliofile babes" S.

On Jan 3, 11:33 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 8:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin.  It
> > turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> > life.

> > Here's a video; have a look.  I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> > and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> > playing on board.

> >http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg

> > I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
> > (who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
> > powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
> > around on the bat/tallbike).  And they got lots of help from me in
> > designing and building their snake.

> That snake might be the coolest pedal powered thing ever! What were
> the "ribs" made of? Opaque plastic?

That is awesome. Good motivation for the Coney Island Mermaid Parade
this summer (supposedly the last before they Disney-fy the whole
area).

/s

landotter wrote:

> > http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg

> That snake might be the coolest pedal powered thing ever! What were
> the "ribs" made of? Opaque plastic?

The ribs are coroplast held apart by painted 2-liter bottles at the
top. The Bike Zoo folks always used salvaged materials before they
resort to anything new.

Chalo

On Jan 2, 9:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin.  It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look.  I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg
>
> I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
> (who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
> powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
> around on the bat/tallbike).  And they got lots of help from me in
> designing and building their snake.
>
> Austin Bike Zoo are also responsible for the pedicab full of drumming
> bug people and the flapping phoenix in the video, as well as a number
> of other similarly impressive machines that were not pictured.  I'm
> honored to have become a part of their extended tribe this season.
>
> I hope you all had such a fun New Year's celebration!
>
> Chalo
> keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

You, sir, are strong like bull. Dope!!

On Jan 2, 8:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg
>
> I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
> (who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
> powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
> around on the bat/tallbike). And they got lots of help from me in
> designing and building their snake.
>
> Austin Bike Zoo are also responsible for the pedicab full of drumming
> bug people and the flapping phoenix in the video, as well as a number
> of other similarly impressive machines that were not pictured. I'm
> honored to have become a part of their extended tribe this season.
>
> I hope you all had such a fun New Year's celebration!
>
> Chalo
> keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

Great job, Chalo, you really are a stud.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

In article
<[email protected]>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently participated in a New Year's Eve parade here in Austin. It
> turned out to be one of the highlights of my cycling and engineering
> life.
>
> Here's a video; have a look. I appear at about 1:45 pedaling a trike
> and trailer I built, with my wife's eight piece band (including piano)
> playing on board.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DRGPSP4ulg
>
> I had lots of help from Jeremy, Sachi, and Juan of Austin Bike Zoo
> (who are, respectively, the driver and the tongue of the 80-foot pedal
> powered snake that follows after my contraption, and the guy circling
> around on the bat/tallbike). And they got lots of help from me in
> designing and building their snake.
>
> Austin Bike Zoo are also responsible for the pedicab full of drumming
> bug people and the flapping phoenix in the video, as well as a number
> of other similarly impressive machines that were not pictured. I'm
> honored to have become a part of their extended tribe this season.
>
> I hope you all had such a fun New Year's celebration!

Whatever I remember of it, I think I did! Great video, the inventions
and revelry of all are wonderful - lotsa smiles all round.

> Chalo
> keepin' it weird in Austin, Texas

Keepin' it fun! All the best in '08!