I quit smoking rant

GuyNoir

Jun 22, 2006
Right now is the end of day 3 since I gave up the butt (again). From past experience, the first three days are supposed to be the toughest followed by a couple of weeks of sleight temptation. But I am not getting any of that, yet I am more ****** off than ever. Mind you that it has very little with the cravings and more to do with my scales.

In the first week of June, I got a bike and started commuting into work. A relatively easy 12 mile trip, one-way. Knowing the type of speed freak I am, commuting became more of a two-a-day training sessions. Thus, the weight starts coming off. One of the goals for riding again is coming to light (the other is saving gas and parking costs of just going to work in downtown Chicago), a loss of 22lbs in 7 weeks. From 249 to 227. Resting heartrate drops from 61 to 45bpm and everything is going great.

As I promised others (and myself most importantly), the weekend following my drop below 230lbs, I would give up smoking. That was 3 days ago.

Since Sunday night, I have gained about 6lbs and it is driving me mad. I understand that some weight gain is expected. But not if the calories are not going IN!!! I am keeping to a 2200 calorie intake and still burning over 4500 per day with cycling and regular basal activities. Yet the scales are creaping up!!!

I know that it is probably a lot of fluid retention while my body gets used to dealing without the drug, but it isn't doing my ego any good right now. I have no clue what my body is actually doing and if I am getting anywhere with my current ride schedule. Not seeing the progress is such a kill-joy and de-motivator.

So, all I can do right now is keep at it (not smoking) and riding, while I watch the computer and HRM and keep it all in zone.

I just hope that this really is fluid retention and not actual weight gain from subconscious snacking on my matteress, 10,000 calories per night... LOL

-GN

I think the best thing you can do is keep off the cigarettes regardless of your weight. Once you have beaten that then you can concentrate on yuor fitness and weight control issues.

Giving up smoking is a massive shock to your body...it may not be wise to try and lose weight and give up smoking at the same time as your body may start to do strange things, like retain water etc..

i have never been a smoker but i know a few people who have given up...

good luck

MountainPro said:
I think the best thing you can do is keep off the cigarettes regardless of your weight. Once you have beaten that then you can concentrate on yuor fitness and weight control issues.
That was the crux of the issue. last time I gave up the butt, I jumped from 220lbs to 260lbs. Hence the desire to loose weight first. I figured that once I got the ball rolling, that it would be harder to add the weight with the massive caloric deficit I sit at, everyday.

Just never thought I could sit at a negative balance and still see the numbers go up...

But then again, I am scale stalking and freaking out right now. I shouldn't even be looking at them, for at least a week.

GuyNoir said:
That was the crux of the issue. last time I gave up the butt, I jumped from 220lbs to 260lbs. Hence the desire to loose weight first. I figured that once I got the ball rolling, that it would be harder to add the weight with the massive caloric deficit I sit at, everyday.

I found that I tended to snack on sugary things when I gave up smoking. Sucking on a mint replaced the smoking routine. I didn't mind my weight going up a little, because I felt much better without the smoke anyway. There's also a chance that you're not burning as many calories as you think too. I would just keep on trucking, kick the smoking and the biking will be a lot easier. :)

darkboong said:
I found that I tended to snack on sugary things when I gave up smoking. Sucking on a mint replaced the smoking routine. I didn't mind my weight going up a little, because I felt much better without the smoke anyway. There's also a chance that you're not burning as many calories as you think too. I would just keep on trucking, kick the smoking and the biking will be a lot easier. :)
No real urge to snack, really. OK, coffee consumption has gone up. I am dead in my keyboard by lunch and HAVE to nap after dinner, which is on the heals of hammering home. Thus telling me that I am really messing with my body. First burning all the calories, then taking its favourite drug away.

Not too worried about the calorie burn. Just a shock to go from loosing on average of 3lbs per week to gaining 2 per day for the last 3 days. Even if I am snacking, I don't think I am stuffing an extra 10,000 calories (enough to erase the deficit, plus gain) in my gob, per day. Still think it is largely fluid retention. I.E. Not seeing output in the same quantities as I am putting it in.

Trust me, I am really happy to be rid of cigs, again. And I understand that this is the price to be paid to get back on the road to good health. Just seeing the numbers in vs. numbers out is a little mind blowing on the surface.

-GN

GuyNoir said:
No real urge to snack, really. OK, coffee consumption has gone up.

Do you take sugar in your coffee, or drink more soft drinks (eg: Coca-Cola, Fanta etc) ? Those can pile on the lbs real quick. ;)

GuyNoir said:
I am dead in my keyboard by lunch and HAVE to nap after dinner, which is on the heals of hammering home. Thus telling me that I am really messing with my body. First burning all the calories, then taking its favourite drug away.

Sounds pretty healthy to me. People aren't built to run at full tilt for 12 hours a day. :)

Good luck anyways, and have fun. :)

i quit just over 2 years ago. gained a good 10 lbs. still have not lost it all. anything to get off the cigs!!! i hate being a slave to the little white cylinders of death. bought 2 nice bikes with the money. wife has banked just over 8 thousand dollars with the money we have saved. remember smoking for weight loss is really really poor logic. when you have finished detoxicing and can stand your self again. you will be a better rider. will climb hills better experience a better sex life. and feel better. it is a total win win deal. just hang in there. and you will smell better.

Yeah, the $$ would really add up I suppose, and then there are at least another 20 good reasons to quit. I wish I could totally quit, but unfortunately I'm still puffing on 'em. :( :mad:

I would think that, since caffeine is a diuretic, drinking more coffee or tea would help you to **** out the water weight.