I recruited a friend. How intense should I go for the first trip together?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kyle787, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kyle787

Kyle787 New Member

I got a friend interested in cycling. He has the bike, regular standard pedals, and helmet. Now a few questions.. what is a good starting pace and ride length to start off on? And should I get dressed with my cycling attire and my clipless? or just go street clothes and helmet?

Tags:

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Side-by-side at a conversation pace.
    If your friend doesn't get kitted-up, I suggest you not as well. The helmet's definitely a keeper.
    Regarding distance, why not just ask him?

3. Camilo

Camilo New Member

I hate to sound too harsh, but why would you need to ask "how intense" Why would you be intense at all?

Just ride at whatever pace he wants to. Make it seem like just a fun, recreational ride.... WHICH IT IS!!!

Don't worry about your attire; it won't matter but it will matter if you drop him or make him work too hard or make him feel poorly for having to struggle to keep up.

4. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

You know your friend better than we do. During the 80's and early 90's I commuted to a part time job I had on my Free Spirit 10 speed. Cycling was just something I was doing to save a little cash as I was raising my family. I always had a bike but was never serious about it as a sport. So anyways one day when I was at work the guys in the shop were telling me that they had been doing Saturday group rides and training rides midweek and if I was interested I could join them. So I did and the kicked my arse. It was the best thing to happen to me in regards to cycling I got hooked on the sport and road my back side off as much as possible from there on out.

So it depends on your friends personality he may embrace the challenge or not. You should know so you should decide.

5. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Oh yea wear whatever you are comfortable wearing so long as it isnt a dress. Apparently you can get in trouble with the law if you do so./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

6. bkwitche

bkwitche New Member

Break him. If he comes back, it's for life. Just kidding. Conversation pace is correct. If he wants to push on from there he'll tell you or just do so.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I have several people that have ridden with me and I thought I took it easy on them but they never ride with me again. I suggest lettting them set the pace for a while and then settle into theor pattern. Best not to make someone hurt on the first trip.

8. MattFazz

MattFazz New Member

Let me give you a different perspective, his possible perspective if you will.

A couple of weeks ago my friend who is much fitter than I am, but knows I have recently got into cycling, invited me to go for a ride. It was a 25 mile trip all the way up on road and then doubling back on ourselves. Anyway on the outbound route she easily kept pulling away from me yet kept stopping to allow me to catch up, I did try to keep pace with her but it was obvious that I couldn't maintain her speed. When we got to the turnaround point she once again shot off into the distance, no big deal I figured Id see her in a mile or two....but i never did, the entire 12.5 miles ride home she just went off on her own pace and left me behind.

Anyway.....long and the short of it, i spent probably 80% of the ride by myself, I was pissed because if she wasn't going to ride with me then why even invite me in the first place? Now I really have no intention of ever riding with her again. So my advice, if you want your friend to ride with you in the future then ride at whatever speed her or she is comfortable with