I ride different bicycles for cross training?

Dave Is Here

Guest
I figure that most of what I do with bicycle riding is for personal conditioning. I ride with
friends, ride solo, enter an occaisional race, commute, sometimes off road but mainly "on road". My
favorite type of bicycle isn't the recumbent but a very simple road bike frame with the shifters,
derailleurs and freewheel removed. The rear hub has a screwed on sprocket and when the wheel turns
the crank turns in proportion. You'd think that this would tire the legs out a lot faster but in
truth it doesn't. I think keeping the legs moving helps to keep the lactic acid flushed out. You
don't have to accelerate your legs from a coast, you just go. The "fixed gear" bike has a gear that
is big enough to keep me comfortable going down the road and tall enough to make me stand on the
hills. I know several others that participate in this list ride similar bikes.

Here are pictures of my fixie: http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu001.jpg
http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu002.jpg http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu003.jpg

I got a recumbent in 2001 mainly to give myself some conditioning that involved different pressure
points and to use different muscle groups. I find that I enjoy riding a recumbent although I miss
"standing" on the up-hills.

I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?

Dave

[...]

I kept my mb with the intention of cross training with it when I got my first bent. Three years
later it's still hanging in my garage. Once I stopped riding it full time, my butt couldn't take it
part time. The comfort factor difference is just too great for me.

I kept my mb with the intention of cross training with it when I got my first bent. Three years
later it's still hanging in my garage. Once I stopped riding it full time, my butt couldn't take it
part time. The comfort factor difference is just too great for me.

Dave, Thanks for fixed gear bike info. I'm impressed that you do centuries on
it.I'm thinking of a weenie fixed wheel bike: keep bent in one gear and no coasting. My mileage past
3 years, all bent, has been 5,000 - 6,000 per year with a handful of organized centuries each
year and weekly rides in 40-100 mile range. Hilly rides are fun, challenging, and great training.
Interval training is a weekly goal. Heart rate monitor I use for running and biking mostly - but
also for kayaking, swimming, yoga, and strength building - provides very useful feedback.
Comparison of current metrics and metrics from National Institutes for Health study I
participated in as a marathon runner 20 years ago have been useful also. Basically, it pays to
keep records as they provide data regarding what helps and hurts you. In my case, any hiatus in
vigorous exercise, and usually accompanied by weight gain, was bad.
--
Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "dave is here"
> [...]

> lactic acid flushed out. You don't have to accelerate your legs from a coast, you just go. The
> "fixed gear" bike has a gear that is big enough to keep me comfortable going down the road and
> tall enough to make me stand on the hills. I know several others that participate in this list
> ride similar bikes.
>
> Here are pictures of my fixie: http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu001.jpg
> http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu002.jpg http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu003.jpg
>
> I got a recumbent in 2001 mainly to give myself some conditioning that involved different pressure
> points and to use different muscle groups. I find that I enjoy riding a recumbent although I miss
> "standing" on the up-hills.
>
> I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?

Thats a great bike you have there, Dave. (although the frame is too big for you) :)

I have a single speed bike also, which I used to ride with a fixed gear but changed to a freewheel
last year, mainly so that I can coast the occasional downhill.

The simplicity of a single speed makes it_so_ quiet to ride.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

news:<[email protected]>...

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, dave is here wrote:

> I know several others that participate in this list ride similar bikes.

Yep.

> I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?

I ride a bit more.

Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Al Kubeluis wrote:

> Dave, Thanks for fixed gear bike info. I'm impressed that you do centuries on
> it.

There are various people who do brevets (200-1400 km rides) on fixies. Last year Robert Gray rode
the Canadian Rocky Mountain 1200 on his fixed, flipped over to the freewheel, rode cross country,
flipped back to fixed and then rode Boston-Montreal-Boston.

Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

Thats a great bike you have there, Dave. (although the frame is too big for you) :)

I have a single speed bike also, which I used to ride with a fixed gear but changed to a freewheel
last year, mainly so that I can coast the occasional downhill.

The simplicity of a single speed makes it_so_ quiet to ride.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

[email protected] (dave is here) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I figure that most of what I do with bicycle riding is for personal conditioning. I ride with
> friends, ride solo, enter an occaisional race, commute, sometimes off road but mainly "on
> road". My favorite type of bicycle isn't the recumbent but a very simple road bike frame with
> the shifters, derailleurs and freewheel removed. The rear hub has a screwed on sprocket and
> when the wheel turns the crank turns in proportion. You'd think that this would tire the legs
> out a lot faster but in truth it doesn't. I think keeping the legs moving helps to keep the
> lactic acid flushed out. You don't have to accelerate your legs from a coast, you just go. The
> "fixed gear" bike has a gear that is big enough to keep me comfortable going down the road and
> tall enough to make me stand on the hills. I know several others that participate in this list
> ride similar bikes.
>
> Here are pictures of my fixie: http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu001.jpg
> http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu002.jpg http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu003.jpg
>
> I got a recumbent in 2001 mainly to give myself some conditioning that involved different pressure
> points and to use different muscle groups. I find that I enjoy riding a recumbent although I miss
> "standing" on the up-hills.
>
> I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?
>
> Dave

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, dave is here wrote:

> I know several others that participate in this list ride similar bikes.

Yep.

> I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?

I ride a bit more.

Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Al Kubeluis wrote:

> Dave, Thanks for fixed gear bike info. I'm impressed that you do centuries on
> it.

There are various people who do brevets (200-1400 km rides) on fixies. Last year Robert Gray rode
the Canadian Rocky Mountain 1200 on his fixed, flipped over to the freewheel, rode cross country,
flipped back to fixed and then rode Boston-Montreal-Boston.

Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

Lewis, I was also wondering about the frame size given that Dave and I are about the same size
x-seam and inseam. I ride a 55mm frame df. The fixie looks as if it is 60mm or better. Dave, You
could be living dangerously. I rode a track bike, a Nishiki for training....20 or so years ago. I
still get some interest in fixies from local riders. I'm currently looking for a 56mm frame with
horizontial dropouts.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> > flushed out. You don't have to accelerate your legs from a coast, you just go. The "fixed gear"
> > bike has a gear that is big enough to keep me comfortable going down the road and tall enough to
> > make me stand on the hills. I know several others that participate in this list ride similar
> > bikes.
> >
> > Here are pictures of my fixie: http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu001.jpg
> > http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu002.jpg http://www.doctorvision.com/fixie/centu003.jpg
> >
> > I got a recumbent in 2001 mainly to give myself some conditioning that involved different
> > pressure points and to use different muscle groups. I find that I enjoy riding a recumbent
> > although I miss "standing" on the up-hills.
> >
> > I have a plan to ride 10,000 miles and get 50 centuries during 03. What's your cycling like?

Mike,

That is me. My Specialized Rockhopper is in the basement collecting dust since I bought a recumbent.
When I went from 2 wheels to 3 wheels, my son took over the Stratus. I only ride a trike. I am a bit
slower on it, but it will climb like nothing that I have ever ridden. Other than off road, there is
not many times that I would not prefer to be on the trike.

For cross training I am trying to get back into running this winter. So far so good, but these aging
knees still making running a wait and see thing.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, 57 year old runner's knees, Salt Lake City

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I kept my mb with the intention of cross training with it when I got my first bent. Three years
> later it's still hanging in my garage. Once I stopped riding it full time, my butt couldn't take
> it part time. The comfort factor difference is just too great for me.

MLB, I share your experience. I had the drive train of my mtn bike rebuilt. I was going to continue
to ride both my Stratus and my mtn bike..... I haven't touched the mtn bike in at least two
years..... The best laid plans.....

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

Mike,

That is me. My Specialized Rockhopper is in the basement collecting dust since I bought a recumbent.
When I went from 2 wheels to 3 wheels, my son took over the Stratus. I only ride a trike. I am a bit
slower on it, but it will climb like nothing that I have ever ridden. Other than off road, there is
not many times that I would not prefer to be on the trike.

For cross training I am trying to get back into running this winter. So far so good, but these aging
knees still making running a wait and see thing.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, 57 year old runner's knees, Salt Lake City

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I kept my mb with the intention of cross training with it when I got my first bent. Three years
> later it's still hanging in my garage. Once I stopped riding it full time, my butt couldn't take
> it part time. The comfort factor difference is just too great for me.

MLB, I share your experience. I had the drive train of my mtn bike rebuilt. I was going to continue
to ride both my Stratus and my mtn bike..... I haven't touched the mtn bike in at least two
years..... The best laid plans.....

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

Hi Lew and Jude The fixed gear has a 63cm seat post. I can't stand over it with it upright, I have
to lean it over a bit. It does position the bars nice for a fixed gear though. Aero is not the hot
setup on the downhills. I don't ride it with my feet on the ground however. The top tube is the same
as on my 56cm trek hence the good fit. It is very quiet and climbs hills like a billy goat. Makes my
bents seem positively sluggish. The frame is from a junk pile. It is an old Centurian and weighs
only 20 pounds including pedals and bikebag. I built the wheels myself on this one.

I have seen your posts Lew on the framebuilders list.

Thanks for the concern about high top tube. Dave

news:<[email protected]>...