i ride facing traffic--comments please

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ilaboo, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > You can do it, and sometimes it makes sense, but
    > > has a lot of additional hazards you have to be
    > > aware of and take into account
    > >
    > > (snip)
    > >
    > > 3. Nobody coming out of a driveway or side street
    > > or parking lot is going to be looking to avoid
    > > you, where you'd have clear right of way if going
    > > the correct direction.
    > >
    > > (snip)
    > >
    > > I ride the wrong way occasionally when it makes
    > > sense, but not usually.
    > > --
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    > >

    > I think the roads are safest when everyone does what is expected of them, by
    > law and convention. With people making up their own rules as they go along,
    > unsafe unpredictable chaos is the result.
    >
    > My most important bike safety rule is, never assume a car sees you. I was
    > crossing an intersection years ago, with the green light, in the crosswalk,
    > on the wrong side of the street. A car rolled through right-turn-on-red, and
    > hit me, because he never looked my direction. I got the ticket, and rightly
    > so. If I had been walking my bike in the crosswalk, the driver would have
    > been at fault.
    >
    > On my city commute, I still ride the wrong way for very short distances,
    > when it makes sense to do so. But I know it is wrong, and I understand the
    > concept. If anything happens, I know I will probably be 'more wrong' than
    > the other party.

    Bicycling the wrong way is just plain wrong, if only
    because you endanger other bicyclists.

    --
    Michael Press

  2. In article
    <[email protected]
    egroups.com>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > On Dec 5, 7:51 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i have
    > > an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors etc
    > >
    > > i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that i
    > > know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    > >
    > > i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    > > car crash every 2 weeks.
    > >
    > > what has been your experience?
    > >

    > my experience been that people driving against the traffic in the bike
    > lane
    > do not stop and get out of the way when i'm traveling in the same bike
    > lane in
    > a customary direction. I leave the bike lane and enter the rightmost
    > traffic lane
    > to get around them but perhaps i should pedal on and let them do it
    > instead.
    > Have there been any reports of head on bicycle collisions in bike
    > lanes yet?

    I stop--directly in front of them.

    --
    Michael Press

  3. I realized he was CLEARLY a non-English-speaking immigrant, on his way
    to a minimum wage job.

    ...are all clairvoyants so humble...?

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  4. Bob Cooper

    Bob Cooper Guest

    Even if this made you safer, which it doesn't, it makes others less
    safe.

    Very selfish of you.

    My advice: Move out of the Bronx, if that's the problem.

    Regards,

    Bob Cooper

  5. TomC

    TomC Guest

    I ride facing traffic whenever I am not confident that the cars behind will
    notice me in time to avoid me, such as on right hand bends going up hills. I
    also ride facing traffic at night, when I don't trust drivers to notice me
    after they have had a few drinks.

    I don't expect the oncoming cars to swerve around me, I just pull off the
    road. That might not be practical in the city, since it would take forever
    to get anywhere, but it works in the suburban area where I live.

    Congratulations on your 60 year record. Makes me feel a little less guilty
    about breaking the law.

    Tom

    "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i
    > have an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car
    > doors etc
    >
    > i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that
    > i know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >
    > i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    > car crash every 2 weeks.
    >
    > what has been your experience?
    >
    > thanks
    > peter

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Chalo Colina wrote:
    > ilaboo wrote:
    >> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i have
    >> an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors etc

    > That makes no more sense than driving a car against traffic-- the
    > benefits and risks are the same.

    Yes, a large construction machine or tracked armored vehicle is a much
    better choice for this. ;)

    > If you want to ride your bike on the left, you'd best do it on the
    > sidewalk where such practice is normal.

    Or on island nations where cycling and driving on the left is normal
    practice.

    "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
    differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
    excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Michael Press wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]
    > egroups.com>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 5, 7:51 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i have
    >>> an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors etc
    >>>
    >>> i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that i
    >>> know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >>>
    >>> i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    >>> car crash every 2 weeks.
    >>>
    >>> what has been your experience?
    >>>

    >> my experience been that people driving against the traffic in the bike
    >> lane
    >> do not stop and get out of the way when i'm traveling in the same bike
    >> lane in
    >> a customary direction. I leave the bike lane and enter the rightmost
    >> traffic lane
    >> to get around them but perhaps i should pedal on and let them do it
    >> instead.
    >> Have there been any reports of head on bicycle collisions in bike
    >> lanes yet?

    > I stop--directly in front of them.

    I play chicken. I will take my chances in a recumbent-upright collision.

    "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
    differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
    excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

  8. datakoll

    datakoll Guest

    I ride facing traffic where traffic is suspect of reason and ability,
    the road allowing it, out of the wind. I wear dayglo clothing, a
    dayglo baseball cap, with a dayglo patch dangling from the bar. If you
    "feel' the IC traffic flow is out to get you and the road allows for
    it then keep the IC visible thru riding into the flow.

  9. ilaboo

    ilaboo Guest

    i always stop

    sheldon thanks for all your help and presence on the net--thanks again

    peter
    >A wisely anonymous poster trolled:
    >> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i
    >> have
    >> an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors
    >> etc
    >>
    >> i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that
    >> know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.

    > Most automobile accidents also occur when the automobile is driving
    > with traffic.
    >
    >> what has been your experience?

    > It's mostly a problem when you meet an oncoming, law-abiding
    > bicylist. What do you do in that case?
    >
    > Do you swing to your left and try to force the law-abiding cyclist out
    > farther into the traffic lane?
    >
    > Or do you go to your right, between the law-abiding cyclist and the
    > oncoming motor traffic.
    >
    > Whichever option you choose, how is the law-abiding cyclist supposed
    > to figure out which way you plan to go?
    >
    > Sheldon "I Know I Shouldn't Feed The Trolls, But..." Brown
    > +-----------------------------------------+
    > | If a fool would persist in his folly, |
    > | he would become wise. |
    > | --William Blake |
    > +-----------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com
    > Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    > http://sheldonbrown.com

  10. ilaboo

    ilaboo Guest

    one of us is hallucinating--did you take your medication today?

    >> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i
    >> have an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car
    >> doors etc
    >>
    >> i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that
    >> i know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >>
    >> i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    >> car crash every 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> what has been your experience?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> peter

    > You're not doing your part to convince anyone that, with age, wisdom
    > increases. Nor are you doing your part to support Darwin's theories
    > either, since you're still alive. I can only hope that you're a troll,
    > because if you're not, you are among the most-dangerous of cyclists on the
    > road, primarily to other cyclists.
    >
    > What keeps us alive on the roads is basically just one thing.
    > Predictability. People ride & drive in an expected manner, dictated
    > largely by laws and common sense. The laws clearly state that what you do,
    > riding against the flow of other bicyclists, is illegal. It is not only an
    > inconvenience to other cyclists, but an extreme danger as well, since the
    > logical manner in which to avoid a collision with you is to move out into
    > the flow of traffic. Unfortunately, that is also *your* logical move as
    > well, because cyclists ride in that thin margin between auto traffic and
    > the curb. So, at best, we have a situation where somebody has to blink
    > first.
    >
    > It's not politically-correct for me to bash fellow cyclists who might be a
    > customer. But when it comes to basic safety and adherence to logical rules
    > (and laws), that goes out the window. Thankfully, you're on the other side
    > of the country, so it's not likely I'll pesonally come across you. But if
    > I did, I would rate your behaviour as being as dangerous to other cyclists
    > as cars that turn in front of us. Maybe even worse.
    >
    > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReaction.com
    > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
    >

    > "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i
    >> have an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car
    >> doors etc
    >>
    >> i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that
    >> i know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >>
    >> i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    >> car crash every 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> what has been your experience?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> peter

  11. ilaboo

    ilaboo Guest

    not really sure about that

    "BobT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i
    >> have an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car
    >> doors etc
    >>
    >> i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that
    >> i know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >>
    >> i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    >> car crash every 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> what has been your experience?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> peter
    >>

    > It is only safe if you wear a helmet!
    >
    > BobT

  12. ilaboo

    ilaboo Guest

    thanks to everyone who responded

    i inadvertantly dual posted and i am sorry

    for now i wear a helmet or looks like i do and ride on whatever side of the
    street i feel safe--it is very dangerous here in the bronx except at 3 am
    when it is perfect
    news:[email protected]

  13. On Dec 5, 10:18 am, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A wisely anonymous poster trolled:
    >
    > > over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i have
    > > an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors etc

    > > i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that i
    > > know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.

    > Most automobile accidents also occur when the automobile is driving
    > with traffic.
    >
    > > what has been your experience?

    > It's mostly a problem when you meet an oncoming, law-abiding
    > bicylist. What do you do in that case?
    >
    > Do you swing to your left and try to force the law-abiding cyclist out
    > farther into the traffic lane?
    >
    > Or do you go to your right, between the law-abiding cyclist and the
    > oncoming motor traffic.
    >
    > Whichever option you choose, how is the law-abiding cyclist supposed
    > to figure out which way you plan to go?
    >
    > Sheldon "I Know I Shouldn't Feed The Trolls, But..." Brown
    > +-----------------------------------------+
    > | If a fool would persist in his folly, |
    > | he would become wise. |
    > | --William Blake |
    > +-----------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com
    > Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    > http://sheldonbrown.com

    Dear Sheldon,

    For that matter, what does the troll do when faced with those pesky
    "entrance" and "exit" signs on the doors at busy stores? Does he hope
    that everyone else jumps out of his way? Or does he just knock them
    down?

    Luckily, he's limited to a bicycle.

    Imagine the carnage if he gets behind the wheel of a car and started
    heading the wrong way down one-way streets, explaining how sensible he
    is.

    Or if he decides to head upstream into freeway traffic, driving head-
    on into traffic on the off-ramp, convinced that he's right and rest of
    the world is wrong.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  14. > Dear Sheldon,

    > For that matter, what does the troll do when faced with those pesky
    > "entrance" and "exit" signs on the doors at busy stores? Does he hope
    > that everyone else jumps out of his way? Or does he just knock them
    > down?
    >
    > Luckily, he's limited to a bicycle.
    >
    > Imagine the carnage if he gets behind the wheel of a car and started
    > heading the wrong way down one-way streets, explaining how sensible he
    > is.
    >
    > Or if he decides to head upstream into freeway traffic, driving head-
    > on into traffic on the off-ramp, convinced that he's right and rest of
    > the world is wrong.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Carl Fogel

    Unfortunately, there's a possibility that he's not a troll.

    Fortunately, it's not likely that either of us will see him on our side of
    the country.

    The only times I've felt other cyclists have put my life in danger have been
    those riding towards me, on the wrong side of the street. And I've had
    plenty of opportunities to fear other cyclists, having raced back in the
    day. There's just no excuse for rationalizing riding against traffic.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  15. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >> Dear Sheldon,
    >>
    >> For that matter, what does the troll do when faced with those pesky
    >> "entrance" and "exit" signs on the doors at busy stores? Does he hope
    >> that everyone else jumps out of his way? Or does he just knock them
    >> down?
    >>
    >> Luckily, he's limited to a bicycle.
    >>
    >> Imagine the carnage if he gets behind the wheel of a car and started
    >> heading the wrong way down one-way streets, explaining how sensible he
    >> is.
    >>
    >> Or if he decides to head upstream into freeway traffic, driving head-
    >> on into traffic on the off-ramp, convinced that he's right and rest of
    >> the world is wrong.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Carl Fogel

    > Unfortunately, there's a possibility that he's not a troll.
    >
    > Fortunately, it's not likely that either of us will see him on our side of
    > the country.
    >
    > The only times I've felt other cyclists have put my life in danger have been
    > those riding towards me, on the wrong side of the street. And I've had
    > plenty of opportunities to fear other cyclists, having raced back in the
    > day. There's just no excuse for rationalizing riding against traffic.

    I don't like wrong-way cyclists either. But, practically speaking, as
    long as they're riding slowly (which they usually are), they're not much
    more of a hazard than joggers, right-way slow cyclists, or pedestrians.
    I just assume wrong-way cyclists will show up as part of the normal
    environment. Wrong-way cyclists are invariably also curb-huggers, so I
    never find myself on a direct collision course. I just swing left a
    little and let them pass in the door-zone/gutter. No biggie.

    Despite (token to nonexistent) awareness efforts to the contrary, a lot
    of bike riders believe wrong-way riding is correct, safer or both. I
    don't expect this to change in my lifetime, so I just deal with it.

  16. On Dec 5, 7:51 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > over 60 years of riding--have always ridden facing traffic--this way i have
    > an edge of crack heads, alcoholics, car chases, people opening car doors etc
    >
    > i know this is illegal but 60 years says a lot--most bike accidents that i
    > know of was whn the biker was biking with traffic.
    >
    > i bike on the streets of da bronx--corner where i live has at lest one
    > car crash every 2 weeks.
    >
    > what has been your experience?
    >
    > thanks
    > peter

    OK, so you're an idiot that's been lucky.

    Lewis.

    *****

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    >> My most important bike safety rule is, never assume a car sees you. I was
    >> crossing an intersection years ago, with the green light, in the
    >> crosswalk,
    >> on the wrong side of the street.

    > What is the wrong side of the street?
    > What is wrong with in the crosswalk with the green?

    In Texas, bicycles are supposed to follow the same vehicular rules as car
    drivers. Therefore, the "right" side of the street concerns the lanes where
    vehicular travel is goine west if the bicycle is also going west at the
    time.

  18. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > one of us is hallucinating--did you take your medication today?

    No, it's you. Mike is right; you're wrong.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> My most important bike safety rule is, never assume a car sees you. I was
    > >> crossing an intersection years ago, with the green light, in the
    > >> crosswalk,
    > >> on the wrong side of the street.

    > > What is the wrong side of the street?
    > > What is wrong with in the crosswalk with the green?

    > In Texas, bicycles are supposed to follow the same vehicular rules as car
    > drivers. Therefore, the "right" side of the street concerns the lanes where
    > vehicular travel is goine west if the bicycle is also going west at the
    > time.

    I see. Thanks.

    --
    Michael Press

  20. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    You ride facing traffic? :eek: How do you do it? I ride facing forwards. I can't imagine how to do it facing backwards. And how do you see where you're going when you are facing the other way? Do you have a mirror?