I rode a long ways!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by wobblyjohn, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    For me anyways! :D
    Almost three miles, maybe ten times my previous longest ride. I dare
    anyone to ride three miles on a Torker CX seat. I wasn't shopping for
    an upgrade before the ride, and today I'm counting and saving and
    researching!
    Yesterday was payday, and time for my walk to the credit union. Towards
    the end of work, I was thinking of a comment I'd made recently about my
    pitiful riding skills and absence of physical fitness concerning long
    rides. So I did the logical thing; I walked home (across the street)
    and fetched my unicycle, just to see how far I'd get.
    "This is a stupid idea", I thought. "Just think how far I'll be walking
    this thing! All worn out, with rubbery knees, a mile from home..." To
    which the voices in my head replied, "SHADDUP AND RIDE!"
    Around the corner, and down the sidewalk I went. Right past the
    workplace, and straight into new unicycling territory. Past the
    supermarket, and I've hit the first two lights on the green, then turn
    to pedal through the quickie mart parking lot. It has four entrances,
    which makes that bit of sidewalk is a splendid place to get splattered
    by cars. Past the gas pumps, and nobody asked about the gas milage....

    Onward, through the freeway onramp. I was hoping that the usual beggar
    would be there, I've seen him juggling his food a few times. "Hey,
    that's a neat trick!" I would say, riding by.... but he's not there.
    What a dissapointing ride, except.... I haven't touched the ground for
    a whole mile!!!
    So I promptly popped right off. One foot up, a quick hop and ride on to
    the credit union.
    The return trip was a little more interesting. Honk and thumbs up from
    an oncoming car. Crossing an intersection a minute later, a guy in a
    shiny new F150 guns the engine, lurching towards me, laughing. So I
    slid my hand across the front of the hood, which surprised him into a
    wheelspinning shift into reverse! Everyone honks and gestures at him,
    and I laugh my way up the sidewalk ramp. It's steep enough that I'm off
    the seat momentarily, and I probably would have dumped it if I hadn't
    been distracted.
    This ain't so bad. The voices were right! "And don't you forget it!"
    they reply. Half a mile to go, and I think, "I'm gonna make it!". Sure
    enough, that thought has me standing on the ground. Freemount, swerve,
    swerve, and away! All the way back to the apartment, and straight up to
    the computer to look at other unicycles. And a quick glance at Yahoo
    maps, which tells me the milage: 1.3 miles each way, with a couple of
    minor detours thrown in, and a little extra in the apartment parking
    lot. Almost three miles, and definitely my limit of endurance as far as
    that seat's concerned.
    I'm looking forward to a better unicycle and longer distances!

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  2. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

  3. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Nice write-up Wobblyjohn. Those first mile-plus adventures are heady
    times indeed. I'm sure there will be many longer rides in your near
    future. Then at some point you'll buy a Coker, and it's all over after
    that.

    The more you pedal, the more you are able to pedal. Soon, one mile
    will be your warm-up...get the blood flowing, stop and stretch, then go
    for the real ride.

    Welcome!

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  4. harper

    harper Guest

    John-

    Congratulations. You are a real rider. Riding on that Torker (Torture)
    seat probably motivates you to give away your useless old coffee
    roaster for free to a good home. I'll take it. When you come up to
    deliver it you can try all kinds of unis and saddles.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  5. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > at some point you'll buy a Coker, and it's all over after that.

    Coker SCARY!!!!! Heights baaaaadddd!

    24" Torker CX seat CHAFING!!!!! Chafing baaaadddd!

    Maybe something inbetween for now..... hmmmm

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  6. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Excellent write up. The excitement of the first few long rides is
    great, and it came through in your story.

    The distance does get easier, but any distance at all on a 20 is a
    massive challenge. Well done.:)

    --
    Mikefule

    Overcoming adversity is easier, more fun, and regarded as more admirable
    than avoiding it. Thus, we shall always have wars.

  7. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    congratulations!! I remember the first real 'long' distance rides that
    I ever did too...its really fun. you'll definitely need to get a new
    seat though.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  8. wobblyjohn

    wobblyjohn Guest

    Thanks for all the encouragement! Unicyclists are definitely one good
    reason to ride a unicycle.
    This trip really got the unicycle as transportation concept to click
    in. I can't wait to just be able to cruise around for miles on end! And
    idle. Gotta work on that.

    --
    wobblyjohn
    wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

  9. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

    wobblyjohn wrote:
    > Coker SCARY!!!!! Heights baaaaadddd!
    >
    > 24" Torker CX seat CHAFING!!!!! Chafing baaaadddd!
    >
    > Maybe something inbetween for now..... hmmmm

    As a former Boater there is a sickness called 2 foot-itis because
    everytime you get a new boat you end up wanting 2 foot longer.
    I find this with UNI's as well first the 20" then 24" to the 26" then
    the 24" Muni then the Giraffe then finally the Coker and OOH how sweet
    it is, but for some reason I still want a 29" ? Maybe its the missing
    link?
    But with all the unis the seat is _always_ upgraded if need be.

    --
    Daytripper63
    Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789

  10. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    wobblyjohn wrote:
    > Coker SCARY!!!!! Heights baaaaadddd!
    >
    > 24" Torker CX seat CHAFING!!!!! Chafing baaaadddd!
    >
    > Maybe something inbetween for now..... hmmmm

    I love my Nimbus 29er. I ride miles on her. Not so scary as a coker but
    definately a distance machine.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk