I rode a long ways!

wobblyjohn

Guest
For me anyways! :D
Almost three miles, maybe ten times my previous longest ride. I dare
anyone to ride three miles on a Torker CX seat. I wasn't shopping for
an upgrade before the ride, and today I'm counting and saving and
researching!
Yesterday was payday, and time for my walk to the credit union. Towards
the end of work, I was thinking of a comment I'd made recently about my
pitiful riding skills and absence of physical fitness concerning long
rides. So I did the logical thing; I walked home (across the street)
and fetched my unicycle, just to see how far I'd get.
"This is a stupid idea", I thought. "Just think how far I'll be walking
this thing! All worn out, with rubbery knees, a mile from home..." To
which the voices in my head replied, "SHADDUP AND RIDE!"
Around the corner, and down the sidewalk I went. Right past the
workplace, and straight into new unicycling territory. Past the
supermarket, and I've hit the first two lights on the green, then turn
to pedal through the quickie mart parking lot. It has four entrances,
which makes that bit of sidewalk is a splendid place to get splattered
by cars. Past the gas pumps, and nobody asked about the gas milage....

Onward, through the freeway onramp. I was hoping that the usual beggar
would be there, I've seen him juggling his food a few times. "Hey,
that's a neat trick!" I would say, riding by.... but he's not there.
What a dissapointing ride, except.... I haven't touched the ground for
a whole mile!!!
So I promptly popped right off. One foot up, a quick hop and ride on to
the credit union.
The return trip was a little more interesting. Honk and thumbs up from
an oncoming car. Crossing an intersection a minute later, a guy in a
shiny new F150 guns the engine, lurching towards me, laughing. So I
slid my hand across the front of the hood, which surprised him into a
wheelspinning shift into reverse! Everyone honks and gestures at him,
and I laugh my way up the sidewalk ramp. It's steep enough that I'm off
the seat momentarily, and I probably would have dumped it if I hadn't
been distracted.
This ain't so bad. The voices were right! "And don't you forget it!"
they reply. Half a mile to go, and I think, "I'm gonna make it!". Sure
enough, that thought has me standing on the ground. Freemount, swerve,
swerve, and away! All the way back to the apartment, and straight up to
the computer to look at other unicycles. And a quick glance at Yahoo
maps, which tells me the milage: 1.3 miles each way, with a couple of
minor detours thrown in, and a little extra in the apartment parking
lot. Almost three miles, and definitely my limit of endurance as far as
that seat's concerned.
I'm looking forward to a better unicycle and longer distances!

--
wobblyjohn
wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

Nice write-up Wobblyjohn. Those first mile-plus adventures are heady
times indeed. I'm sure there will be many longer rides in your near
future. Then at some point you'll buy a Coker, and it's all over after
that.

The more you pedal, the more you are able to pedal. Soon, one mile
will be your warm-up...get the blood flowing, stop and stretch, then go
for the real ride.

Welcome!

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

John-

Congratulations. You are a real rider. Riding on that Torker (Torture)
seat probably motivates you to give away your useless old coffee
roaster for free to a good home. I'll take it. When you come up to
deliver it you can try all kinds of unis and saddles.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Excellent write up. The excitement of the first few long rides is
great, and it came through in your story.

The distance does get easier, but any distance at all on a 20 is a
massive challenge. Well done.:)

--
Mikefule

Overcoming adversity is easier, more fun, and regarded as more admirable
than avoiding it. Thus, we shall always have wars.

congratulations!! I remember the first real 'long' distance rides that
I ever did too...its really fun. you'll definitely need to get a new
seat though.

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

Thanks for all the encouragement! Unicyclists are definitely one good
reason to ride a unicycle.
This trip really got the unicycle as transportation concept to click
in. I can't wait to just be able to cruise around for miles on end! And
idle. Gotta work on that.

--

wobblyjohn wrote:
> Coker SCARY!!!!! Heights baaaaadddd!
>
> 24" Torker CX seat CHAFING!!!!! Chafing baaaadddd!
>
> Maybe something inbetween for now..... hmmmm

As a former Boater there is a sickness called 2 foot-itis because
everytime you get a new boat you end up wanting 2 foot longer.
I find this with UNI's as well first the 20" then 24" to the 26" then
the 24" Muni then the Giraffe then finally the Coker and OOH how sweet
it is, but for some reason I still want a 29" ? Maybe its the missing
link?
But with all the unis the seat is _always_ upgraded if need be.

--
Daytripper63
Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789

wobblyjohn wrote:
> Coker SCARY!!!!! Heights baaaaadddd!
>
> 24" Torker CX seat CHAFING!!!!! Chafing baaaadddd!
>
> Maybe something inbetween for now..... hmmmm

I love my Nimbus 29er. I ride miles on her. Not so scary as a coker but
definately a distance machine.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk