I ruined my bike - should I repair or get a TT frame now?

awilki01

Sep 20, 2011
Stupid hit me Monday night. I clamped my Cervelo S2 by its top tube in my new repair stand. Crack!!! It's a small crack but a crack nontheless.

I've beat myself up alot the past few days and beat you all to the punch of calling me a dumbarse.

With the obvious stupidity aside, I'm trying to justify what I'm about to do. I could get the frame repaired by a composites company called Spyder Composites. I have to send them the frame, they xray it to verify where the damage is and subsequently repair it. At this point, they are not as responsive to emails fast enough for me to feel overly confident in them having my expensive frame. The number I called for them seemed to go to a non-business line as well with no mention of the company name, etc. I just don't have that warm/fuzzy, but that is probably more me than it is them as I have read many good things about them. I was told to stay away from Calfee by my LBS.

I could also get a replacement frame for half the price through Cervelo. However, if I get a new frame, I will go with the P2 TT frame instead of the S2.

My only issue is that this is my only bike. Is a TT bike too specific? TT is all I care about doing to be honest. I rarely do group rides, but I do like doing rec rides now and then. I mainly train solo for TTing. I don't suppose its an issue using a P2 on a group ride though.

I believe I have successfully answered my own question, but it was therapeutic to write it out /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I love my S2, but I believe I would be happier with a P2 TT frame. I just can't justify the cost of all the added things like aerobars right now. I'm going to have to put my existing road bike bars and aero clip-ons on it for now.

Originally Posted by awilki01 .

Stupid hit me Monday night. I clamped my Cervelo S2 by its top tube in my new repair stand. Crack!!! It's a small crack but a crack nontheless.

I've beat myself up alot the past few days and beat you all to the punch of calling me a dumbarse.

With the obvious stupidity aside, I'm trying to justify what I'm about to do. I could get the frame repaired by a composites company called Spyder Composites. I have to send them the frame, they xray it to verify where the damage is and subsequently repair it. At this point, they are not as responsive to emails fast enough for me to feel overly confident in them having my expensive frame. The number I called for them seemed to go to a non-business line as well with no mention of the company name, etc. I just don't have that warm/fuzzy, but that is probably more me than it is them as I have read many good things about them. I was told to stay away from Calfee by my LBS.

I could also get a replacement frame for half the price through Cervelo. However, if I get a new frame, I will go with the P2 TT frame instead of the S2.

My only issue is that this is my only bike. Is a TT bike too specific? TT is all I care about doing to be honest. I rarely do group rides, but I do like doing rec rides now and then. I mainly train solo for TTing. I don't suppose its an issue using a P2 on a group ride though.

I believe I have successfully answered my own question, but it was therapeutic to write it out /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I love my S2, but I believe I would be happier with a P2 TT frame. I just can't justify the cost of all the added things like aerobars right now. I'm going to have to put my existing road bike bars and aero clip-ons on it for now.
Since Calfee is a leader in frame repair and has arguably the longest history in working with CF in bicycle frames, you certainly wouldn't want to go to them! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif If that's what your LBS thinks, then whoever told you that at the LBS is full-on idiot.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, but frankly it seems not only a waste but also wasteful to throw out a frame. I also think it would such to have to ride a TT frame all the time. I think a TT frame's geometry and fit is going to impair ride quality and performance in all but TT rides.

You know, I hadn't considered that I could keep the frame. If they let me, I'll just have it repaired and ultimately have two good frames.

With regards to my LBS' comments about Calfee, the guy said they used to use Calfee all the time, but recently they have had problems and stopped. I didn't get details.

I did receive a response from Spyder Composites today. My fears are all gone now. The guy was real nice. The turnaround time is 3-6 weeks based on their current workload. The actual repair, of course, doesn't take that long. So, if I am able to keep my frame, then I will send it to them for repair.

Simple. Don't take the Cervelo deal, keep the frame, and get it repaired.

I am almost positive that you wont be able to keep your old frame if you take advantage of the Cervelo deal. The motivation for them in offering the deal in the first place is to get the compromised frame off the road.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Ugh! 3 - 6 week turnaround time. I'll make my decision when I find out how long a replacement P2 frame will take.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I am almost positive that you wont be able to keep your old frame if you take advantage of the Cervelo deal. The motivation for them in offering the deal in the first place is to get the compromised frame off the road.
Yeah, I had assumed that too. So much for wishful thinking. I will ask though.

Originally Posted by alienator .

This is what I did. I just couldn't pull the trigger. For that much, I might as well spend a little more and get a 2nd bike. I'm looking at the Felt B16 TT bike. It's nothing too fancy, but it is a good entry TT bike.

I have been using the spyder for a few years, they fixed all of our frames at Rock Racing. I was sent to spyder from the mechanic for Quickstep who used them for some repairs at the TOC. I know for me and the teams I've worked for the x ray has saved our **** more then once and the repair was the best in the business, its foolish to not have the frame x ray inspected. Personally I don't mind they only use cell phones because I know I can reach the owner anytime of the day to any place in the world. We were at the Tour of L'Abitibi in Canada with a problem, called Spyder to find out they were doing race service course for a couple of stage races in the region gave them the frames and they were repaired & painted and delivered to us on their way back at the tour of Utah

I must say a repair that used to take a week has stretched out 3 - 4 weeks in November, but I did just pick up a frame and it only took 10 days. I have watched them grow from one tech to 6, and 20 frames hanging on the ceiling to over 100 just in a few months times.

Reactions: awilki01
Yep, I'm definitely going to use Spyder Composites.

I went ahead and got me a Felt B16 TT bike so I could have both a road bike and dedicated TT bike.

I went with Appleman Cycles in Minneapolis when I cracked the Toptube on my week old Venge.

The work was excellent and Matt Appleman was great to deal with. Turn around time was only a week with an expedited fee so I was up and running pretty quickly.

If you still haven't had yours repaired, I would recommend checking out www.applemanbicycles.com and send Matt an email.

Good luck with your frame.

Here are some shots of the work.

Before:

After: